DID ANYONE CATCH THE NEWS LAST NIGHT?........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HOUSEOFBLUES, Nov 14, 2002.

1. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I live in Illinois and last night they did a brief report
    on a "new" problem that many women seem to be having. They call it "Peri-menapausal" syndrome and It effects women between the ages of 30-50 and a lot of the symptoms they listed are a lot like "Fibro".
    Very interesting...........
    Anyone else hear of this?

LOVE,
    HOB
  2. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I live in Illinois and last night they did a brief report
    on a "new" problem that many women seem to be having. They call it "Peri-menapausal" syndrome and It effects women between the ages of 30-50 and a lot of the symptoms they listed are a lot like "Fibro".
    Very interesting...........
    Anyone else hear of this?

LOVE,
    HOB
  3. Joannie

Joannie New Member

I didn't see the news last night and tried to find something on this on the net and couldn't. I bet it would be very interesting though. I have all the female problems right now I am dealing with. NO FUN...
    I hope you are feeling better. Didn't know you lived in Illinois. My Aunt has FMS too and lives in Illinois.
    Have a good day,
    Joannie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That docs didn't take our illnesses seriously for so long. They thought it was just a bunch of middle-aged women going through the change. I believe this is how the overuse of antidepressants to treat FMS started and continues to this day. Many docs see us as a bunch of hysterical and depressed women and use antidepressants as "patient management." FMS is not caused by an insufficiency of Prozac in the body.

Love, Mikie
  5. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

If you have the call letters of the station, or know what network it was, I would be interested in reading about it.
  6. sb439

sb439 New Member

... to mikies post.
    love,
    Susanne
  7. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Interesting newspiece last night. Hope this helps.
    Soft hugs.
  8. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

Those call letters are WMAQ. Many times, local television stations don't do their health stories in house. They often use services that provide them with medical stories, or the producer (in this case at an NBC station) gets the stories from other NBC stations across the country. If that's the case, they won't put the story on their website.
  9. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

While I didn't see the news last night, I have heard of this. In fact, I took a "peri-panel" saliva test from Aeron labs. Here is some information I copied from their website:

Hormonal Update Volume 2 Number 6

Healthcare During Perimenopause

Perimenopause, often called the next frontier in women's health, has become an important concern for millions of women. Literally, the word perimenopause means surrounding menopause. Generally occurring during a woman’s forties and lasting from one to three years, or sometimes even longer, perimenopause is the transition from normal ovulatory menstrual cycles to menopause. Erratic fluctuations in hormone levels during this time can cause symptoms very similar to menopause. (See Hormonal Update V2N5) Currently, nearly twenty million American women are between the ages of 45 and 54. With our increasing knowledge about perimenopause, more and more women want to know what treatment options are available for this hormonally challenging time of life.

Where to Begin

As hormone levels decline, health risks increase. Hypertension, diabetes, hypothyroidism, and heart disease become more prevalent in perimenopausal women. One out of every four women is affected by osteoporosis. The perimenopausal transition can be looked upon as an opportunity, for a thorough health assessment, including a complete medical history, physical exam, and lab evaluation. A mammogram, pap smear, serum cholesterol/lipid profile, blood glucose, hormone level test, as well as bone resorption and bone mineral density screening are all important aspects of a perimenopausal health evaluation and should be performed regularly throughout both the peri and post menopausal years.

Making Lifestyle Changes

Sometimes the physical changes you experience during perimenopause can signal a time to re-evaluate certain aspects of your life. It is an opportunity to make sure you are getting enough rest and exercise, eating a well-balanced, healthy diet, managing your stress effectively and having enough fun. And, if you are smoking, perimenopause is a good time to quit. Smoking is associated with many chronic diseases, including osteoporosis and heart disease. It can also contribute to the early onset of menopause.

Regular exercise, both aerobic and weight bearing, performed at least three times a week helps maintain healthy weight, minimize symptoms and reduce the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis.

Low Dose Oral Contraceptives

There are a number of ways to regulate perimenopausal menstrual cycles and bleeding. Low dose birth control pills are among the most widely prescribed. They contain small amounts of synthetic compounds that mimic estrogen and can effectively regulate the cycle.

Despite erratic cycles perimenopausal women often still ovulate and are fertile. For women not eager to produce a midlife child, low dose birth control pills not only help regulate menstrual cycles but also help prevent pregnancy. In addition, oral contraceptives can also eliminate or reduce hot flashes, vaginal dryness and mood swings.

When considering oral contraceptives as a treatment option, it is important to remember that they are prescribed in standardized dosages. If the dosage is right for you, it could work quite well. If the dose is too high, you may experience side effects very similar to the symptoms you are trying to relieve. Side effects of oral contraceptives can include those that resemble PMS - anxiety, nausea, bloating, breast tenderness and depression.

Also of note: The action of synthetic hormones is similar to your own hormones, but not identical.
    Taking low dose oral contraceptives can diminish your own endogenous hormone production.
    Determining when to make the transition from low dose contraceptives to menopausal or even postmenopausal HRT can be challenging because oral contraceptives can mask the signs of approaching menopause.

Individualized Hormone Replacement

There are numerous forms of hormone replacement available now to help alleviate the symptoms of perimenopause. Because perimenopause is such a unique experience for each woman, and because there is a considerable difference in how various hormonal delivery systems are absorbed and utilized by the body, an individualized approach to hormone replacement is among the most effective. Figure 2 below vividly illustrates the wildly erratic fluctuation of hormones during perimenopause as compared to the more rhythmic flow during normal menstrual cycles as seen in figure 1. (the figures didn't copy and paste so you'll have to go to the site to view them)

Figure 1

Figure 2

Individualizing hormone replacement begins with determining precisely which hormones you need. Because perimenopausal hormone levels can be so erratic, hormone testing during this phase of life can be challenging. A comprehensive portrait of your hormone levels during perimenopause may require a series of hormone level tests done over thirty days - such as Aeron LifeCycles’ Peri-Panel. This multiple testing can help determine your particular hormonal pattern throughout a month.

By pinpointing hormonal fluctuations, treatments can be customized and symptoms better understood, maybe even anticipated. For example, if you have migraines consistently during the first part of your cycle, saliva testing your hormones throughout the month could reveal that your estradiol is spiking at that time. A prescription for progesterone, to be used during your estradiol spike, could help restore hormone balance and relieve your migraines.

When hormones fluctuate as shown in the perimenopausal woman’s hormone profile in figure 2, intense mood swings can be the result. Individualized HRT may help to regulate and balance hormone levels, and lessen the need for anti-depressants or anxiety medications so often prescribed during perimenopause.

If you are considering hormone replacement, discuss your symptoms and health history with your healthcare practitioner. Once a decision is made about therapy and hormone replacement begun, saliva hormone level testing can then help your practitioner tailor your dosage to your body’s specific needs and continue to monitor how you are responding to treatment.

Perimenopause Action Plan: Make lifestyle changes that enhance your health and well being
    Talk openly with your healthcare practitioner about what you are experiencing
    Determine hormonal fluctuations with the Peri-Panel from Aeron LifeCycles. Aeron’s Peri-Panel is a sequential hormone level test measuring estradiol and progesterone over a thirty-day time period.
    Work with your healthcare practitioner to create a program that works for you

10. dojomo

dojomo New Member

At first when they were describing the symptoms.....I was excited and thought CFS/FM was finally going to get some PR.....

Boy, was I dissappointed when I saw them attribute those symptoms (appearingly severe in some) to perimenopause.....and that they are treating them with antidepressants and hormones......I agree with Mikie,
    Programs like this set us back...I don't remember my mother or grandmother going through painful "peri-menopause"........They are claiming this is a normal phenomenon,
    and treatable.......NORMAL things don't NEED treatment.

So I guess any time after your child bearing years..we should expect to feel ill.....it's normal,,Things like this really push my buttons....DJ
  11. dojomo

dojomo New Member

Watch the 4:30 news on channel 5 ....they are going to have more on this segment .....just saw a commercial talking about the response to last nights airing.....hope you see this message in time...DJ
  12. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I just missed the 4:30 news. I hope they have something later at 10:00.
    Dojomo, Please let me know what they say..........

LOVE,
    HOB
  13. contessa

contessa New Member

Peri-menopausal women have short term memory losses. Also hot flashes, depresssion, vaginal dryness, eractic periods, variations of menstral intensity. It is a very real problem. And yes, I'm 55 and finally finished with all that crap. And also, my relatives always blamed female problems in our family on 'going through the change'. It didn't have a name of it's own back then.

Yes, a lot of symptoms are the same but there is no muscle pain of any kind associated with the condition. It's just a part of life we all have to get through and it ain't always fun. But I am very happy that phase of life is over. My little monthly 'visitor' is not something I want to deal with in addition to fibro, etc. The fibro symptoms are much worse, more varied, and are not tied into a specific age group. And yes, it is possible to have both conditions at the same time - which of course would only compound anyones misery.
  14. dizzymindy67

dizzymindy67 Guest

im 35 and have alot of symptoms of perimenopause. i have an older lady friend who swears i have it, the worst is the hot flashes i guess not flashes i stay hot. i cant stand to be hot at all any more and i am very cold blooded especially with the fibro. its not fun.