Did anyone catch the segment on GMA about Memory?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ayhatch, Apr 6, 2007.

1. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

An investigative journalist,Cathryn Jakobson Ramin was interviewed about her new book, "Carved in Sand: When Attention Fails and Memory Fades in Midlife".
    I found some of what she said interesting. She said she has tried different medications for her own memory problems and possible ADD.
    She mentioned a drug that is usually given to airline pilots to help keep them awake, which she said worked very well. Don't know about long term use or side effects. Can recall the name.
    Anyway, I know that before I got my FM, Sjogren's and Insufficient Adrenals diagnosis... a couple of doctors thought I might be ADD, because my daughter was. We did a tried ritalin for awhile. It definitely sharpened my focus. But I still experienced anxiety, fatigue, etc. then my adrenals crashed and the road to my diagnosis began.
    Turns out no ADD for me. (It's actually my husband who passed that gene. He doesn't want to admit it, but it's SOOOO obvious!)

meanwhile I take the extra Omegas and I eat healthy, but nothing stops this stupid fibro fog from creeping in!
    Why not!
    I swear it's getting worse. I couldn't give someone directions to the house I've been living in for years, because I couldn't figure out the difference between left and right!

2. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I saw the segment and this journalist was on a local afternoon ABC talk show in the San Francisco area the week before.

The drug she was talking about is Provigil. It's frequently given to those with sleep apnea or narcolepsy.

I have memory problems as well. I'm fighting too many battles that affect my memory. I hit my head a few times in the last few years and had mild brain injuries, dizziness, sleep apnea, depression and fibromyalgia.

One of my doctors ordered a neuropsych evaluation and it showed how much the head injuries and depression had reduced my cognitive function. It was way below average low in the working memory area. So if you want to know how your cognitive functioning is doing tell your doctor your having a lot of trouble with your memory and see if he suggests a neuropsych evaluation if not ask for one.

Jeanette

Jeanette