did anyone have a nerve conduction study done

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rinaldo, Dec 17, 2006.

1. rinaldo

rinaldo New Member

Hi im having a nerve conduction study done on my whold body on thurs. I hear its pretty painful can anyone tell me what it is. Lisa
  2. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

Hey Lisa,

Yes I've had one of those. It's not the most pleasant test but just remember once you get called in it will all be over within minutes.

For me it was needles in muscles for the first part then a series of shocks in a set time frame.

The worst part for me was the "shocks." If I were you I'd wait to eat a large meal until after in case you get nausea from them(shocks). The needles in muscles part was less a problem for me than the shock part....

All in all I hope it helps to answer some questions for you or real things out. And be sure to talk to the neurologist about the test before it-let him or her know of your concerns, etc...

Good luck to you,

cristine
  3. acheallover

acheallover New Member

Yes, I have had the study done. Very painful, but for very short intervals. Try to keep in mind, that the results are what you are looking for, and the end result will allow you to have what-ever it is that you are trying to prove to whom-ever. Good luck, Phyllis
  4. Pat-45

Pat-45 New Member

Hi Lisa,

I've had several of those fun tests. It's pretty creepy when they do the electric shocks. It's uncomfortable but not what I would call really painful.

The best thing is that it is over really quickly.

good luck and try not to worry..

Take good care, Pat
  5. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have had several done to test for Carpal Tunnel severity. It is very uncomfortable, but I understand it depends on the doctor too. My Rheumatologist insists that the doc they use is gentle and his patients tell him that it feels like acupuncture...I doubt that but it is a quick test.
  6. leubie

leubie New Member

hey----yes ive had test done------------it was just uncomfortable-----------my neuro did it-------------he was real sweet-------------------told me to let him know if i got too uncomfortable------------the test didnt last long------------------call ahead and get someione to talk w/ you about this--------------------good luck---------------i hope all is well--------------------love to all----------------laura
  7. caffey

caffey New Member

Peice of cake. No pain. It was a pin prick and was over in a couple of minutes. They used to be really painful but with new technology and computers. Relax and you will do fine.
    Cath
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Mild discomfort. The needles are extremely thin. Like acupuncture.

The shocks are mild.

Entire procedure took about 20 min. Cost $1400. Good thing an ins. co. is paying for it.