Did anyone receive an illegal bone graft for spine surgery?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IheartNY, Feb 12, 2006.

1. IheartNY

IheartNY New Member

Hi group,

Has anyone else been notified by their Dr. that they may be the recipient of an illegal bone graft? I was and had to be tested for Hep AB&C, HIV I&II and Syphillis....humiliating...

Apparently it's become a nationwide problem...I saw a newspaper artivle in my local paper and did an interview with the reporter. As if the FM and CFS is not enough, now I have to deal with this....it's VERY frustrating!!!
  2. IheartNY

IheartNY New Member

Apparently there are people all over the country affected. 24 in my area, IA, TN, NY and even some in Canada...The FDA just shut the business down, but that does not change the fact that i may have 2 diseased bone grafts in my neck...I see my Dr next week to talk to him about the possibility that if the graft came from an elderly or sick patient, i might need the surgery again...very scary thought
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Gosh forbid!!!! Is the source of these bone graft material from funeral homes? Does that mean they were not pre-tested or screened for diseases?

I would be looking to sue someone if I came up with a medical condition.

4. IheartNY

IheartNY New Member

Apparently the company who was shut down by the FDA bought cadaver bones for cash, then sold them to other suppliers without testing them, and without the knowledge or consent of their next of kin....The company is in Fort Lee NJ and the funeral homes are in Brooklyn. 8 have been confirmed and the investigation is ongoing. The death certificates and causes of death were falsified....it's pretty scary