Did coconut oil make your cholesterol WORSE?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I've been taking virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil for a few weeks and loving it. I can't tolerate more than a teaspoon per day, but it's increased my mental clarity and helped in a bunch of other ways. (I had messed up my thyroid by eating too much kale and raw cabbage.)

BUT...I've been feeling little chest pains, the kind I used to get when I ate saturated fat. I seem to have the same fat-processing gene as my dad...fat goes immediately into our blood stream, and saturated fat starts the clogging process right away. I'll see about getting my cholesterol checked again, but the last time (pre-coconut oil) it wasn't all that great, even with my strict diet. I think it was 210.

I'm wondering if coconut oil backfires on some people, and raises their cholesterol.

Thanks,

Suze
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Someone posted that they gained weight on it like crazy. This definitely isn't the norm, it helps most people lose weight.

You may well have a fat metabolism problem. A weak liver and gallbladder can definitely do that. Salmon oil may be a better choice for you, it has been well proven in many studies to reduce cholesterol.

I take salmon oil myself, even though my cholesterol tends to a little low. Salmon has just been the best fit for me, I've tried all the others, and its the only one that keeps my skin soft and prevents the dreaded Canadian winter itch in our harsh winters.

I use a bit of coconut oil too, but am super sensitive to it, as I have a severe yeast load. I can tolerate less than a tsp, and has to start at a quarter. I think it helps the yeast better than anything though.

Jeanne
  3. Suze

Suze New Member

I definitely have a fat metabolism problem. I couldn't eat pizza as a kid because I'd spit up the oil afterwards. The same thing would happen today, for example after an oily restaurant dinner. If I eat too much fat in my diet for a period of time (say, too many nuts, flax seed, whatever), I'll develop malabsorption syndrome. I make sure that doesn't happen.

How did you know the coconut oils you rejected weren't good?

Thanks!
  4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Asked my doctor if it was ok .I am on meds for my cholesterol.

She has advised against it cause it does raise your cholesterol level and mine is already to high.

Both my dad and brother had congestive heart failure and high cholesterol.

So I'm not taking it on my doctors info.

take care
    Sue
  5. sascha

sascha Member

i've started on coconut oil for cfids condition and have been experiencing results. some huge beneficial ones from time to time, also i think clearing symptoms from die-off (candida, perhaps viruses). i back off a little from 3 TBsp a day for a bit, take plenty pro-biotics to replease good bacteria in the gut. i'm very interested in dialogue with people using coconut oil.
  6. Suze

Suze New Member

Monosaturates are bad for the heart? That's the first I've heard of it. Isn't olive oil a monosaturated oil?

Does that mean we shouldn't eat nuts either?

I did start with a small amount of coconut oil, and stayed with the small amount. I loved what it did for my energy and mental clarity. My only concern was the chest pains. I've since stopped taking it, and the pains have gone away.

It's still not clear to me how anyone can tell which brand of coconut oil is right for them. My naturopath says to choose cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, but some others have different criteria. I admit to having an aversion to anything that's heavily marketed on the Internet (or anywhere else), claiming to be the best, and carrying a hefty price tag.

Suze
    [This Message was Edited on 06/15/2006]
  7. Suze

Suze New Member

***Now, for someone who is having "bad" side effects with coconut oil, including elevated cholesterol, my first thought would be that they failed to eliminate vegetable (canola, soybean, ect) oils from their diets-they are everywhere and in many things!***

Olive oil is the only fat in my diet. I don't use butter, and I don't eat processed foods, dairy fats, or baked goods.

As usual, I conclude that everyone is different. Back in the 1950s, my dad was crippled by heart disease. He was in his forties, and took nitroglycerine all the time for severe angina. A radical new doctor diagnosed him with high cholelsterol. No one we knew had heard of that word at that point. Dad was told to eliminate saturated fat from his diet and use polyunsaturated oil.

He was great about the diet. Out went ice cream, sausage, hot dogs, high-fat cuts of meat, and every kind of cheese. In came corn oil. Today, I'm reading that polyunsaturated oils are bad for the heart. Whose heart? Not my father's! He used olive oil on his salad, but cooked with corn oil and sometimes peanut oil for Chinese food. His health did a dramatic turnaround. He took up bicycling, and went back to playing tennis. He lived to be 90, dying of prostate cancer.

I do think we're all unique. I'm still trying to figure out the best diet for me. I discovered recently that by giving up my favorite breakfast, the basis of which was plain, nonfat yogurt, I felt a lot better.

Suze
  8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

The hospital where I work sponsors Wellness Clinics" where employees can drop in and have a few parameters checked including cholesterol. So I am having my cholesterol checked, I believe, more frequently than the average Joe.

The total cholesterol has been running a little high, but my good/bad cholesterol is outstanding (doctors words) I am way, way below to be at risk.

I have started using coconut oil, about one month, I think, after starting it, had my cholesterol checked again and it came down about 20 points.

So, was it the OIL???????

Fondly, June
  9. Suze

Suze New Member

June, a lot of people have reported similar experiences. I think it's an intriguing concept, and I would have liked to have had my cholesterol checked after using the coconut oil for awhile. But my health insurance being the way it is, I'd first have to get a doctor to order the test...and then I'd have to pay for it. I may give it another trial at some point, though, and get the test done.
  10. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Could you time your appointment and subsequent blood work, with your primary say six to eight weeks before WJAR has their health expo.

You could start the oil right after you get have your blood work done, then, have it rechecked free at the expo.

That expo turned my husband around......about the only thing in his life that has.

His weight was always good, but he ate horrible foods, even though we have very little prepared foods in the house. He would get into the cheeze, pepperoni, etc.

So we went to the health expo (I had this planned already) and when we came upon the cholesterol check booth, I challegened him to a check. His total cholesterol was a little high but it was all BAD cholesterol. His good/bad ratio was SO dangerous....

He changed his diet immediately.

There may also be other free cholesterol checks available... cannot remember off hand.

Fondly June

11. Suze

Suze New Member

Here's a dumb question: What's the WJAR?

I took advantage of a fairly low-cost screening late last year, pre-coconut oil. That was supposed to be my baseline, my idea being that I'd have it tested after being on the oil for a while. But I aborted the plan after getting the chest pains and shortness of breath.

Your suggestion gives me an idea, though. In the past our local hospital has sponsored free or low-cost screenings. I haven't heard about on in ages, but I should contact them and find out if they're planning one for the summer--then (cautiously) start up the coconut oil again.

Thanks!

Suze
  12. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

WJAR, channel 10..... once a year they hold a health expo in Providence, not at the Civic Center, that other place and I cannot remember the name....Convention Center????

June
  13. Suze

Suze New Member

Did you think I was in Providence? I think the price of gas to get there and back would pay for ten tests! lol

But thank you for the idea. I'll definitely check out opportunities on a local level.

S.
  14. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

No, I thought I remembered you being in Lincoln.

And I did say the cholesterol check was free.

BUT now I am wondering, if there was an admission charge.

It is quite a large expo..... lots to see, but of course it does tire me out....

My husband, until that point, had no primary care physician. He does NOT take this woman's advice!

But that day hit a home run as far as I am concerned. It was his wake up call.

But Suz, I will keep my ears opened.... or maybe you can find a free screening offered closer to you.

I don't know at what level you are at now, maybe you cannot get out at all, but the expo certainly would not be your most efficient way to have the cholesterol checked, it would be more like an afternoon out with "benefits."

Fondly, June

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2006]