Did I bend my titanium plate?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by ConfusedComrade, Aug 29, 2010.

1. ConfusedComrade

ConfusedComrade New Member

A little over a month ago, I was in a bad car accident that broke my collarbone quite severely. I underwent orthopedic surgery to reconnect it that involved placing a titanium plate and about 7 screws.

Last night when I went to bed, everything felt fine and looked normal, but when I woke up I had my arm in an odd position over my head. Since then, it appears raised near my shoulder socket and is somewhat "springy". It does not feel like tissue, swelling, or anything else I can think of. There is no pain at present, though now when I move it certain ways, it feels as though it's pinching my shoulder.

What could this be? Could I have bent the titanium plate? I realize that Titanium is very strong, but I have dealt with it a considerable amount in my life and have no idea if surgical titanium is different from aircraft titanium, which does not "bend".
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board.

Your condition is a conundrum to me. (No doctors here; just fellow patients.)
    Sounds like your ortho should take a look.

My mother had a hip replacement when she was in her 80s. After that she
    used to joke, "They put titanium in there. Now I'm half Norskie and
    half airplane."

Hope the problem is easily corrected.

Rock