Did I just see what I think I saw???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetteP, Nov 22, 2002.

1. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Seems this site is also having its pockets padded by pharmaceuticals. The first thing I saw when I arrived at the site today was an ad, at the top of the page, which said, "talk to your dr. about prescritpion weight loss!"

The bottom line here is MONEY! I AM FLOORED that ProHealth, with all its wisdom and knowledge about our diseases, would stoop to this level! Personally, I never started getting sick with IBS until I got on prescription diet pills. It absolutely amazes me that we can't post a web address to a lab, such as Great Smokies, which has NOTHING to sell, but its perfectly fine to put up an ad for prescription diet pills! What next?

Well so much for the respect I had for this company :(

Annette
  2. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Seems this site is also having its pockets padded by pharmaceuticals. The first thing I saw when I arrived at the site today was an ad, at the top of the page, which said, "talk to your dr. about prescritpion weight loss!"

The bottom line here is MONEY! I AM FLOORED that ProHealth, with all its wisdom and knowledge about our diseases, would stoop to this level! Personally, I never started getting sick with IBS until I got on prescription diet pills. It absolutely amazes me that we can't post a web address to a lab, such as Great Smokies, which has NOTHING to sell, but its perfectly fine to put up an ad for prescription diet pills! What next?

Well so much for the respect I had for this company :(

Annette
  3. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

If Great Smokies has nothing to sell, they probably don't have a huge advertising budget. Same holds true for lots of "free" info web sites.

I, personally do not care what is on the advertising banner. Nobody here ever said we must take or buy whatever is on a banner! That's just how this site continues to support itself so it can exist.

I am glad this site exists, and like everything else in an imperfect world, it is not ideal. Nothing is ideal. That's the reality.

hope the banner issue doesn't keep you away.

4. teach6

teach6 New Member

When I first saw the ads I was also offended. I do agree with you about not being able to post URL's to places that do not sell, but having to look at these obnoxious ads, some of which have lots of movement in color, which is very distracting to me, as well as to others, I presume.

Ths board has changed a lot in the 11 months I've been around it, and I don't like what I'm seeing. I come for the support, but the ads are annoying!

Barbara
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

This site is run by a commercial business....see the store tab on top?
    Perhaps business is down, and in order not to run a deficit advertising space was sold--if it means keeping the company and the site out of the red, so be it.
    As for Great Smokie Labs---what do you mean they sell nothing?? They sell their services. There are product oriented sales, and service oriented sales....its all about money, because it's a way to make a living.
    Of course prohealth is willing to keep a message board, such as this---it keeps clients, prospective, and current, on their site daily--better chance of sales. So what--it is a great service to all of us--with a lot of support and info. Even disease, and illness keep the cogs of our free enterprise based society well oiled.
    As for there choice of ads----just another med. Some can benefit from it--some like you have bad experiences with it. Doesn't make it an unwise decision for some. Just like all other meds---got to do the research of benefits outweighing risks.
    Karen
    PS...there is software available to supress pop ups and banner ads if the flashing etc. adds to your fibro cfs discomfort---I have installed on my computer Barbara.[This Message was Edited on 11/23/2002]
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

of where we would all go if this board could no longer fund itself. Not a pretty thing to think about. There's lots of FM and CFS boards out there, but none that I think would compete at the same level as this one. This one is top of the line and nobody is forcing me to read those ads, or click on them.

Does anyone have any idea what it costs to keep a board like this going? I do this for a living and I know all too well what it costs to keep programmers working.

Marilyn :)
  7. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

heck it keeps this site free. But, I do think its irresponsile to take anybody's advertising money just because the end justifies the means. I really do think they have some criteria as to what they will advertise and for that reason I doubt we will see things like sex toys advertised here (although I would argue that the toys were less destructive to one's body than diet pills!)

My point is that a lot has been written about diet pills, specifically how they are not good for people with hypothyroidism. Personally, I know better than to take those ever again, but what about a lot of the newer people here who are desperately looking for answers. I think we talk a lot about how important a proper diet is, and suggesting someone take pills to lose weight is quite possibly a missed opportunity for that person to be helped. I struggle with my weight like many people here, so I'm not some size four preaching something I haven't experienced. I was on diet pills for years and I took them because I didn't know what other options I had. It got to the point that I was no longer losing weight, but I continued taking them for the fatigue. When I eventually decided to get off them I went through withdrawals and my weight soared. This could have been avoided if my dr. had talked to me about nutrition instead of handing me a script for diet pills, which by the way I did NOT request (I went to him wanting to lose weight hoping he would hand me a diet to follow).

ProHealth sells products that are supposed to help with weight loss, so aside from encouraging the bad practice of diet pills, they are allowing ads for competing companies. At least with labs like Great Smokies, if you used their services its probably because you are going to a dr. who uses some vitamin therapies, and its much more probable that you would buy supplements from ProHealth than if you were going to a dr. who precribed diet pills.

Annette
  8. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

heck maybe it'll re-kindle the flame that burned out a long time ago. lol. I agree with you Annette that they should at least advertise products that won't harm us.
    Ciao
    Sandy
  9. sofy

sofy New Member

You cannot run a car without buying gas. Cant run a website without money. A few ads so that I can participate for no cost is a no brainer. Would you rather pay a monthly fee? I never looked to see what they were advertising because the first thing I do is scroll up to not see the blanketty blank blinking beasts. Bubblegum has the best suggestion-----advertise something fun like sex toys----even at 58 and alone I can still laugh, dream and hope
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have never seen any pop-up ads on any of ProHealth's pages. Perhaps when I set up my computer, I did something to stop these ads, but I can't remember for sure.

I do know that ProHealth sells products made by other manufacturers that do not carry the ProHealth label. Perhaps the ad was for something they sell produced by someone else.

Love, Mikie
  11. sofy

sofy New Member

I dont think pop up ads was the correct description. The only thing I see is the banner on the top and it can have some flashy qualities attributed to it if you stretch the meaning just a little. WGASA!!! learnt that on the chit chat board. Its multi functional.