Did my vitamins scew my blood work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pw7575, Jan 18, 2007.

1. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I have been trying to find out why for the last 4 months I have been having leg cramps/pain in my claves (mostly right one), mood issues, & heart palpitations which have now also added chest pain and tightness. (i have an echocardiogram tomorrow)

I have found online that magnesium, b12, thyroid or adrenal problems could all cause these symptoms. I am taking magnesium and still having the issues so I was looking towards B12. I had my b12 levels checked in september and my level was 753 which it is supposed to be between 200 and 1100.

HOWEVER I think that I had eatten breakfast and taken my vitamins (including B vitamins) before I went to the doctor that day. How much do you think that would mess with my B12 reading?

Does anyone think it is still possible that a lack of B12 could be causing my symptoms? (oh and I am vegan by the way so the only place I get b12 is from my vitamins or if it is added into some of my foods ie soy milk)

Just wondering if any of you knew if taking the vitamins that morning would have messed up my reading to where I could still have a problem with b12.

I am going to start adding a B12 sublingual as soon as I get some.

Thanks,
    Pam
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I recently had a blood test done and my B12 was 2000. I had been taking 5 mg. of B12 sublingual from the Pro Health Store, thinking I was low in it too.

I had never had a B12 test done before and I take my vitamin after dinner, but the B12 I take in the morning. So I don't know if my taking my B12 made my test higher or not. I have a feeling it didn't, but I'm not sure.

Now I just take a B12 every week and not everyday anymore.

I guess my fatigue is caused by FMS and other illnesses I have and not by a low B12. My folic acid was 24 and it is supposed to be higher than 5.4. So I guess the Centrum Silver Vitamins do work.

Take care,
    Faye
  3. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Hi Pam,

The symptoms you have in my book are listed as a Magnesium deficiency - Just wondered what type of Mag are you taking?

There are 12 different Mags on the market and some are not bio available to the cells so therefore a complete waste of money... One of the the best ones is Mag Citrate or chelated Magnesium taken in combo with Calcium.

I don`t think your vitamin tablets would mess a reading.

A teaspoon of the superfood Spirulina daily would be a great boost for you...

Pat.

4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The kind I use is glycinate. Supposedly it absorbs well also.
  5. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I have been meaning to buy some magnesium glycinate for over a month now. I have just been feeling so lousy that I haven't been able to make it out to the vitamin store. I guess I should just order it online but I keep thinking every day that I will make it out to the store.

What is funny is that I have two different magnesiums here at home...citrate and oxide. For some reason I was under the impression that citrate was bad so I have been taking the oxide which I knew was bad but thought better than citrate.

I just read online last night that citrate is a good kind and Pat just said the same thing here. I can't believe I had some good stuff this whole time and didn't know it.

Guess I will switch to that one and see if it helps :)

Thanks!
    Pam