Did Ultram help anyone and then become ineffective?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tngirl, Oct 18, 2005.

1. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Did any take ultracet or ultram and it helped at first but stopped? I don't think my pain level has increased a lot, but when I take the ultram it doesn't seem effective any longer.
  2. rigby

rigby New Member

This med never worked for me. Sorry it no longer working for you
  3. luv2float

luv2float New Member

Happened to me too. I quit taking it, did no good at all.
  4. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

Ultram has never helped me much either. It does make me really sleepy, though....
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

Instead of taking 1 at a time I take 2 but it is loosing it's potency. I was just thinking the same thing. I will be discussing it with my dr at my next apt.

Kelly
  6. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

.....for about 9 months after dx....then really stopped being effective. My PCP switched me to Lortab 7.5/500mg and that cuts the pain some.

Hope you find something to work for you!

Hugs,
    jen
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

I started on ultracet, but switched as I don't like tylenol. That was two years ago. I haven't had any change in how it works. For the most part ... very well, but ultram never got rid of the "super flare" pain.

I have taken 2 tramadol and 800mgs ibuprofen for pain. When I have over done I add small amounts of flexeril about every 2-4 hours. ( I'm talking 1/4 of a 5mg tab. ) It helps break the super pain cycle in about 36 hours.

I do know that 100mgs near or at bedtime will interfer with REM and Deep Wave sleep. If your sleep is disrupted, then your pain may go up. However, 50mgs does not have the same effect. Could this be contributing?

I was thinking yesterday that this is one of the few maintainance rx'es I have that I don't have to think about.
    It is the same for me day in and day out for last two years.

Not sure if this helped or not. Do you have a muscle relaxer? Can you work it into you routine? Add an anti-inflammatory?

Good luck with this,

Elsa
  8. Musica

Musica New Member

but I haven't taken it on a regular basis and had it become ineffective. Usually I take 1-2 at a time, but when I went to rheumy last in misery, he told me to take 2 three times a day. That helped until I stopped to have surgery.

If you have taken it without stopping, maybe a break from it will make it more effective again, later. I hope so.
  9. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

My Dr told me if I took it every day it would quit working, so I take it only when the pain is bad and it really helps.
  10. larry11

larry11 New Member

for about 2 months, then it didn`t work anymore, it took 3 weeks to find a replacement that still doesn`t work as well as the ultracet did at first

Larry
  11. auntcon

auntcon New Member

It really helps if I take it on schedule. I take at least 6 sometimes 8 3-4 times a day.

I can really tell when I've forgotten to take it.

I also take LORTAB sometimes if I've got pain from my back injury (like going to my son's wrestling matches--it's murder on my back)

I'm so surprised about the comment that it interupts REM sleep... I DON'T Sleep well.

I've been on it for at least 3 yrs and would hate to have to find something different.

Connie
  12. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi Connie,

You don't have to give tramadol up because of REM interference .... just adjust some things.

My sleep disorder is 0 REM sleep so I have a hugh list of meds to stay away from. I have some alpha intrusion, but not near as bad as most FM'ers have to deal with.

I take tramadol regularly ... about 7 tabs in 24 hour period.

The last one of the day is 50mgs because the 100mgs dose is guranteed to mess with REM. I combine it with flexeril which promotes both deep wave and REM sleep. The goal is to balance each other out while treating my pain.

To avoid flexeril hangover and food cravings, on days I do take flexeril, I start around 3-4pm with 1/4 of 5mg tab. I add to that every 2-4 hours. By bedtime I have taken the whole 5mgs and am relaxed.

There are other drugs that promote deep wave, but not many that promote REM ... the other is lunesta which I also have an rx for.

I don't however take flexeril and lunesta on the same nights.

Muscle pain or spasms or my activity level will dictate which route I take.

By 3pm, I'll definately know what kind of night it is going to be. LOl

Hope this helps. I'm not about to give up my tramadol as it has helped me non-stop for the last two years.

Take care,

Elsa
  13. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

I might as well be taking baby asprin. I am currently taking soma, vicadan and 2 mg of klonipin at night then I take Trazodone which puts you into the deep sleep.

Discuss with your Dr. it has made a big difference just by getting the appropriate amount of sleep for me. However, I am just coming off a major flair, and that may be why the Trazodone worked so well.

Take care and try to find alternatives.

Marcia
  14. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Thanks so much everyone for all the replies. I appreciate each of you taking time to respond.

I do take an anti imflamatory and a muscle relaxer, as well as lunesta to help be sleep.

I'll see my doctor next week and will discuss it with him.

It helps to know that others have experienced the same problem.

[ advertisement ]