Did we ask for HD t.v.?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by homebod, May 26, 2008.

1. homebod

homebod New Member

Wondering how many of you care that your t.v. is HD?
    Do you think this was brought about by consumer demaind, or do you think it was all started by the electronics industry?
    I personally am satisfied with my regular screen.
  2. poets

poets Member

I don't know what started the HD craze but I am perfectly happy with my TV. I don't watch much television anyway. I average maybe an hour each weekday when Keith Olbermann comes on.

3. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

just hand me a freakin' book!

What I wonder, is if HD is going to look any different on my non HD tv.

I hate new technology, at least until I break down and get whatever it is. I got rid of all my old albums, and when I had finally built up a nice cassette collection, they switched to CD's. As for Ipod's, I'm just mad they didn't come out with those 40 years ago when I started building my album collection.

And I LIKE my VCR! I refuse to conform to DVR until there is not one single blank vhs tape left on the planet. I have a VCR/DVD player, and am thoroughly satisfied with it.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I have to go with Mysticbrit on this one. I'm a huge reader and not a techno-phile, but we broke down and bought an HDTV after Christmas. The trick was waiting until the day after Christmas, when they were on sale, and then getting a 10% off discount at Circuit City by being Triple A members. Seems like HDTVs have come up in price again, though. I think like most technologies, HDTVs have come about as a combination of both consumer demand and the electronics industry.

It could partly be that our old set was so lousy, but I've noticed that the picture is much clearer and sharper. We have Comcast, which only has about 30 HD channels, but the picture is incredible. I find myself watching HD channels exclusively, even if there's something I'd rather watch on a non-HD channel.

That's not to say that regular screens are obsolete.
    But for being so housebound, buying an HDTV was a very good investment for me.

I can't wait for Blu Ray players to become affordable. They still run around $400. But movies in HDTV on Blu Ray look and sound great.

[This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I also think HD tv's are brilliant.

I have one in my bedroom where I mostly watch tv, my poor husband has the old one in the living room - he doesn't complain!!

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

No, we didn't ask for it. It's another way devised by an industry to get our money. Makes me mad.

7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Actually it's Digital TV that is becoming mainstreamed. HD TV is something totally different. In 2009 all TV will become digital and if your current tv doesn't take it then you will need a converter. If you want HD TV then you will have to buy a tv that receives HD and then also buy a converter for that.

I love my HDTV. I don't have it in every room but we have it in the living room and boy can you see a difference...especially with my eyes getting bad.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2008]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In Feb., all TV broadcasting will be in digital format to free up analog channels for other use. Digital produces a much cleaner picture than analog but not as clear and bright as HD. All HD is digital but not all digital is HD.

With HD, you have to have an HD TV set and HD service. The old HDTV's had to utilize a box from the cable co. New sets are able to directly receive HD boardcasts. Only a small fraction of the channels from cable are being broadcast in HD. Even then, many of the programs were not filmed in HD, so it's only slightly better than digital. In order to have the best picture, the event must be filmed in HD, broadcast in HD, and viewed on an HD TV.

Confused yet? There's more. There are different kinds of HD TV's. Plasma and LCD are the two most popular. More and more people are buying the LCD's as they seem to have fewer problems than the plasma sets and are less expensive. Then, you have 1080p and 720p resolution with progressive screen refresh. The older sets, like mine, were in 1080i and 720i. I have a 1080i. It has a fantastic picture but it's not a thin flat screen. The screen itself is flat but it protrudes in the back like an old TV. I've had it for about five years. 1080 has better resolution than 720 and costs slightly more but is worth it. The i and the p stand for "integrated" versus "progressive." Suffice it to say that progressive is a slight improvement over integrated.

Next, there is the speed at which the TV refreshes the picture. If you buy a set which is slow, you will notice it when there is fast action on the screen. The picture will not keep up with the action and will look a bit fuzzy.

Hope this helps in understanding HDTV a bit. There's more but these are the basics. I love HDTV. My HD box has TiVo included and it records in HD so I never have to miss a show. HD is definitely the way to go.

Love, Mikie
  9. kellyann

kellyann New Member

We have a giant big screen t.v with HD TV and it is awesome! We love it! I can't go out much so I really like watching my movies on it. The picture is so clear, it is alomost like being there! We are going to get a blue ray player next, just waiting for the price to go own a bit.
    The HD player cost $300 from Direct TV. You get quite a few channels in HD. Direct TV is expensive, in my opinion any way. But they do have very good programing. So, I guess it is worth it.

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Direct TV is a bit less expensive than cable and has more HD channels. Problem is that we have violent thunderstorms every afternoon/evening during the summer and the storms mess up the satellite reception on Direct TV. Also, I don't have a phone landline, so I have to have cable for my internet. I think there will be more and more HD channels available on cable as time goes on.

Watching live events, like football games, in HDTV is almost like standing on the field. It's amazing.

Love, Mikie