Did Ya Know I'm A drug Addict?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Crispangel66, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I went to the dr the other day and he said that the hospital put it in my medical records that I am a drug addict is the only reason I have been having tachycardia and passing out!

He was pretty upset and so was I, his response was those people just don't understand chronic pain.

So he just ignored it but that will be in my medical records for the rest of my life.

So does anyone know how I can get that out of my medical records?

If I am a drug addict I would like to know how it is that the same pain meds that I have been on for about five years is still working for me.

He also put my on Lyrica for my neuropathy which Partnership for prescription assistance is going to pay for.

Then because my heart rate is still so high he put me on something for that, he also said that Trazadone the med I have been taking for sleep could make my heart rate high so he changed me to Temazepam or Restoril.

Well thanks for any responses and listening to my complaining, I just thank God I have a good dr.

And of course you fine people to listen to me complain.

Pamela
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2006]
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

you have every right to complain and complain bitterly you should!

here in the uk there is a way to have something removed from your records but it is a long process and some very good help is needed but it can be done.

fish around a bit - can the same be done in the states??

hold on to that dr of yours and dont let go :) you've a goodun there sweety xxxx
  3. joanng

joanng New Member

Seriously, and he has been in recovery for 20 years and the doctors know that he's "recovering" and no where is that in his file (at least I don't think it is) and he gets pain meds when he needs them.....I don't get it. Who put that there?
  4. Lulu28

Lulu28 New Member

Contact the CEO/Director of the hospital --put your complaint in WRITING---demand that the erroneous info be removed immediately, ask your doctor to include a letter of backup and think about contacting the AMA.

Good luck!
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

get your record and tear it out
  6. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

You have a right to review your medical records.

Usually, you need to call to set up an appointment. Your records will be pulled and (in our hospital), placed in the review room.

You can go through the records at your own pace. Nothing can be deleted from hospital medical records, even if a nurse or doctor writes, say for instance, an incorrect order. A statement to the effect, this was the wrong order must be placed in the record instead.

However you can have a rebuttal placed in your record. Ask your doctor for a statement also. Have that placed in the record with yours.

June
  7. lostmisty

lostmisty New Member

Your doctor can write a pain contract. This covers your illness and treatment along with how much of what pain meds you can get a month without them pointing fingers. This covers the doctor's tush as well as keeps you from having to explain yourself to an unfamiliar doctor in an emergency situation. Your end of the contract is to get all your pain meds from one doc or a designated alternate.
  8. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

9. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm bumping a post made by kjfms dated 3/19/06 that covers this subject...

its title is 'Your Medical Records. How Correct? How Important? How Damaging?' and covers this subject (dealing with doctors, hospitals, etc);

As well as how to contact The Medical Information Bureau, it's a large database maintained by the insurance companies.

Hope it is of some help... I wouldn't let this go if I were you for all the reasons mentioned above.

all the best,
    Victoria

10. penpardee

penpardee New Member

Sheesh...it would seem that in our age of polictical correctness this would be a huge no-no...addiction (compulsive need) and dependence (reliance, trust) are similar and sometimes interchangable, the difference agruable...it's all semantics...I am not addicted to pain meds per se, I am however dependant on their abilty to help lessen my pain. One might rightfully argue that I am addicted to pain relief...I am dependent on pain meds and my ice bag alike to feed that addiction...
    Seriously, if nothing else you should be allowed to have your medical records noted with an explanation...check with your primary physican, the hospital or your states medical society...good luck to you!!!!
  11. spacee

spacee Member

My diagnosis was mixed up with another person with the same name (or so they said). It was back when depression was paid at 50% and "real" illnesses at 80%. This was for a LAB TEST FOR A BLADDER INFECTION..."depression".

I could get NO where with the lazy people in the medical recoreds department who would have to make a trip all the way to the BASEMENT of the hospital to clear it up.

So, my sis who has worked in a hospital for many years suggested that I go to the Hospital Director's office and "pitch a fit". (This is a fairly small hospital and his office was right next to medical records). So, I did it and it got straighten out.

The hospital had had 5 women with MY NAME in the hospital...very confusing, I guess.

Good Luck and I would definitely do all that is possible to straighten it out.

Spacee
  12. jole

jole Member

Intunejune is correct. You can definitely ask to review your records, and also request a change or disagree with what is written in them.

I would certainly do this if I were you, if for no other reason than to find out if there is really anything stated in there. May be a lot of reading, but worth it.

I would also check with the supervisor of medical records, or the administrator, to see if there is really a list in the ER, and check to see if your name is listed there also.

Hospitals do have to protect themselves as best they can, but they also have the duty to protect their patient's and give them good care without stereotyping.

Good luck!
  13. ckball

ckball New Member

and didn't know it.,lolo

The said a 40 year old male, well I was 40 but the last time I looked I didn't have any new body parts.

Everyone needs to get copies of thier medical records. Before I got my SSDI, I asked for a copy at each visit of the tests that were done from the last visit.

It was so wrong for them to say that, I don't know what you can legally do about. But I would see-
    Good luck-Carla
  14. jake123

jake123 New Member

A bill from a hospital was paid completely for catherization of the heart. The patients name was my name but I already knew that there was another person with my name. My pharmacy sometimes wants to give me her meds.

The hospital refused to change it because it was paid. I asked them to please get it changed. It took me four months but I finally got the top dog and it was taken care of. I named names also of the people along the way who would not help and the excuses they made.
  15. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

I think all doctors are a bunch of power hungry dips and they should just let people get whatever medicine they want without going through them. Their a darn cartel and so what if people kill themself - at least they will be doing it to themself.

Darn doctors are going to kill me, I just know it.