Did you flare after surgery?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sugarpeach, Feb 1, 2007.

1. sugarpeach

sugarpeach New Member

Hi all,
    I posted a question the other day about if anyone flared badly after surgery and I did not get any responses. I was just wondering if I asked something that is not allowed to be answered on our site? I really am having a hard time of it and thought that I could find some suggestions or ideas on this. Did I do something wrong? Hope to hear back if i did. Thanks- Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2007]
  2. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

Hi,

I had a partial hysterectomy on 10/23/06 and went through it quite well. However, I started having a bad flare up about 1 month later and continue to have it. I have both CFS and FM. I am not sure if it is some kind of delayed flare up or what as I have never been this bad. I wonder if it has anything to do with going under general? I also noticed having more problems with yeast overgrowth after the surgery. I had to go off of my herbal supplements for 2 weeks prior to surgery, but went back on them after I got home so I don't think that is the problem. I have been told that surgery takes alot out of a healthy person let alone someone with CFS/FM. I am going to my doctor next week to discuss what to do now. What kind of symptoms are you experiencing and did you change any of your supplements or medications? Also, are you getting enough rest? I know I have needed much more sleep and rest since my surgery. I hope things start to look up for you soon. Take Care.
  3. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

sugarpeach
    i did not see the post you posted earlier but it does not sound like you asked anything wrong to me. i flared after sugery but i feel like i am always in a flare and soo to have another surgery. what are you symptoms you need help with? i hope you feel better soo. oh and what kind of surgery did you have?
    glenda
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

One the board seems to move very fast and two your title (like this one) may be too generic. If you're looking for answers you may retitle your post to: Anyone flared badly after surger?

The more specific you are the more it will be noticed.

The other thing you can do when you don't get a reply is to reply to yourself and just type bump in the title line and bump in the body. Then your message will go back to the top.

Your question seems perfectly reasonable, it's funny that I opened this one up because I am usually looking for titles that I can relate to.

Take care and try again!
    Susan07
  5. sugarpeach

sugarpeach New Member

Thanks for all the helpful hints about posting. I had a hysterectomy in 2003 and 4 months later I got terribly sick and was in a flare for about 6 months. Long story short, I had surgery this past Oct. (Brachial Plexus Thoracic outlet surgery ) well the surgery did not help my neck/ arm pain very much but it did seem to cause my FM to get much worse again. I am having terrible leg,ankle and foot pain nearly 24/7. Since I had the BP/TOS surgery because of a work related injury it was workmans comp. I only missed 9 days teaching and went back to work.

I felt pretty good overall (except for my arm) until right after x-mas. I have had to miss 3 days since then and I am down to 6 days left for the school year. I just wanted to know if flaring after surgery/anesthia(only under for 1 1/2 hr) was common. I have just been put on 90mg of Avinza 1x a day plus 10mg endocet 3x a day and 200 mg of Lyrica which is the strongest medicine I have ever needed in 12 years of this DD. I also feel that my CFS is starting to get worse too.

Just 1 more question. Is it common to feel extra sleepy on this type of med? I feel like my eyes are down to my chin All right enough whinning. Time to go to bed so I can be raring to go with my kindergarteners. Thanks so much for all your help! Peace, Susan
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I always worried that I'd have a major flare after surgery, but (so far) it hasn't happened to me. One thing I'd advise, though, is DO take your pain meds---even if you aren't one to normally take painkillers for FM. I think the more you can keep your post-surgery pain in check, the less likely you are to have a flare. This is one time not to be stoic!

Hope you are feeling better!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I had hip resurfacing (like hip replacement but better, definitely invasive...dislocation of hip, cut and move muscle and ligaments) and haven't flared much.

I have CFS, been diagnosed with FM but usually don't have much pain. I do have major fatigue and brain fog normally.

First surgery was in October, second hip was 2 weeks ago. This major surgery takes energy out of everybody, many "normal" people who've had the same surgery are fatigued for 6 months and sleep every day in first couple months. So it's hard to say what is CFS and what is the result of major surgery.

Pain is similar, I definitely have everyday pain from the surgeries that turns up in the strangest places, lower back, ankle, facial areas, and "normal" people do too.

I've had excellent recoveries and the time I get to spend resting without guilt because I'm supposed to, helps my CFS.

I was given Lyrica in the hospital. I loved the med there, it is for nerve pain. I was so out of it, I don't know if it made me tired or not.

Hollie
  8. momXtwo

momXtwo New Member

When I had my full hysterectomy, I had the flare as soon as my body awakened. They pumped me full of morphine -- so much that I heard the nurses say that it was enough to knock out a horse! They couldn't believe that I was still talking, and awake as heck. HOWEVER, that told, I hadn't yet be dx'd with FM or CFIDS until months later. I now know that I had it prior to then. I wish I had kept a journel all of my life, but alas, I wasn't bright enogh to do that.

Gentle hugs,
    Stephanie
  9. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I got dx with cfs in 1995 and fibro later. I had a hysterectomy in 2002 and it took me like 9 months to recover. I never felt so bad in my life.AFter the anesthisa I was puking, having bad reactions to their meds, and felt like a steam roller had run over me. When I got home I did not lay in bed like a good little girl, and I think I made it worse. I could barely walk to the car after 2 weeks. I had to take my daughter to a class and thought i would pass out walking into the ice rink. Have never been the same. An getting ready to apply for SSDI. I had sinus surgery in 2004 which went much better but was soooo uncomfortable being all right in your face and all. But the wake up was fine.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]
  10. sugarpeach

sugarpeach New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! It is always so helpful and kind of comforting to hear others stories and advice. has anyone ever tried Avinza? Doctor just put me on it and I really dont feel that it helps with pain all that much but I can barely stay awake in fact I had to stand up teaching one of my Kindergarten groups because I kept nodding off.I will be calling Dr. tomorrow to see what he thinks. Peace and sleep to all. Susan