Did you know Lyrica is a controlled substance?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, May 31, 2008.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I had to get my Lyrica refill at a different pharmacy because I'm visiting a friend. The pharmacist told me that it was a controlled substance and I might have to jump through a few hoops if I picked it up at a different place next time. He said it was a class 4 where Vicodin is a class 3. Who knew? People will abuse anything.
  2. kbak

kbak Member

It's not so much that people are abusing it but it's a potent drug that they want your doc to monitor.

Take care,
  3. My mail in would not fill it unless I got a new script. I told the gal that answers the phone at my dr. they said it was a controlled substance and she said IT IS NOT A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. DUH!
  4. kittycamcj

kittycamcj New Member

vicodin is a narcotic and lyric is not.
  5. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I agree Lyrica is a controlled substance. There is a difference between narcotic and controlled, though I couldn't tell you what:)

6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Lyrica is not a narcotic but it IS a controlled substance. It even says so in the little paper that comes with it.
  7. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I took it for a while and was suprised to hear it. I now take provigil and it is a controlled substance as well
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Lyrica affects GABA in the brain. Both Neurontin and Klonopin are considered controlled substances and the Rx for them is only good for six months, not a year. It's such a pain to have to keep getting new Rx's or have the pharmacy have to call the doc.

Love, Mikie