Did you know that if I just had a positive attitude that I would

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Jun 16, 2006.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

get better. My neighbor keeps telling me that. As though I'm not pretty upbeat considering. She says our friend who had cancer had a positive attitude never got sick. Yeah, except for when she was throwing up all the time and couldn't eat. If my neighbor weren't so stupid and such a liar, I'd be mad. She just retired from a job that she was at for about 25 years. Wanna know how much of that 25 years she worked. Three or four months out of the last 12 years I have known her. She supposedly couldn't work but she worked all sorts of cash jobs and constantly did heavy yard work. Brother - people like that make it bad for those of us with an honest illness.
  2. uktim1

uktim1 New Member

it allways best to be posertive but its hard when you feel like ya just been run over by a bus lol when im really hurting i focus on the day i will feel better so in that way i guess im being posertive if that makes any sense tc tim :)
  3. janieb

janieb New Member

We've all been there. I've had my feelings hurt so many times that I gave up counting. People just don't understand our problem.

In your case, it sounds like you have a toxic neighbor. Be glad it isn't a relative, because they're out there, too.

Ignore her as best you can and try to stay away from her.

You'll just have to keep on keepin' on.

Blessings,

janieb
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

REALLY???

I bet if I concentrated really hard, I could fly!
  5. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I spent so many years trying the "think" my way out of this illness with all of the self-help tapes, books, etc. and all it got me was feeling worse about myself.

People are just ignorant and it's a shame we can't just tell them to try to "think" their way out of being so stupid :)

Loved Empower's answer -- that's great!!!

scapper

6. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Fly and lay golden eggs.

I do have a positive attitude. Of course, it goes away on certain days but I don't complain to her.

Don't worry, I have toxic relatives too! Luckily, they don't live next door.

7. kb101

kb101 New Member

>>>Did you know that if I just had a positive attitude that I would get better<<<<<

What a sad and sorry comment.
    First we get mad.
    Then we laugh out loud.
    And finally we stop listening.
    KB
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

that a positive attitude and good posture will make me feel better...

Gee, I wish I had known that sooner!
  9. im so sick of people telling me...oohh be grateful that you dont have cancer..at least you arent going to die.

well i know alot of people are unfortunate enough to have life threatening illnesses, bless them.

but at least they have muscle strength and can think clearly for the remainder of their lives.

we are in a living hell,because we can barely lift a comb or toothbrush some days.how sad is that?

i never realised how much muscle strength was needed to lift a toothbrush before.even though im not idle,the muscle strength just isnt there at times.

and as regards the memory problem...well id love to be able to remember what i did yesterday..i want memories to treasure too.but this illness has robbed me of those even.

ooohh its quite clear that the only sympathy we are ever going to get in this world,is from fellow sufferers.

god bless
    fran
  10. hambys97

hambys97 New Member

I guess I missed that headline in the Medical Journal. But I have been told more times than I care to mention that if I had a positive attitude about life, I wouldn't be depressed, sick, tired, etc. Okay, if I could have had a positive attitude about life, I probably wouldn't have been depressed. I'll give them that. But you explain to me how when you are depressed, you can have a positive attitude.
    I do TRY to maintain a positive attitude. Some days it just doesn't happen.

Angela
  11. Jordane

Jordane New Member

There you go,why didnt I think of that!!!!!!

Oh hun there is nothing wrong with your attitude!!!.

Some people think they know what will fix us.

If only,huh!!!

hugzzz
    Jordane
  12. matthewson

matthewson New Member

We live on 4 acres, but still the neighbors in front of us want to fight! We have 2 new neighbors around us and my husband has met them and he wants me to meet them too, but I don't want to know any of my neighbors! I certainly wouldn't want them to know me well enough to make comments about me and my medical problems!

I don't know, guess I am just anti-social!

Sorry you have having a hard time with yours cookie!
  13. dmhtwice

dmhtwice New Member

I keep being told if I went to work I'd feel better*L* Sure someone will hire me when I can work one day and then have to call off for 3... I really don't think most will have have a clue.
  14. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

My favorite MOST ANNOYING LINE is this one:

1)Everyone has your symptoms. We all get tired, and achey, and forget things from time to time...it is normal.

or maybe

2)You still hurt THAT BAD? With all those medicines it's amazing you can feel anything.

or how about

3)Just take the medicine, exercise, eat good, and keep a good attitude...
    YOU'LL GET BETTER THEN, YOU'LL SEE! (as if somehow we didn't already do this!)

People just DO NOT THINK BEFORE STUPID THINGS FLY OUT OF THEIR MOUTHES!

Keep up your strength. These people aren't worth your energy baby....YOU JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!

jenni
  15. roadkill

roadkill New Member

Tell your neighbor that what you have is "highly contagious".

That'll get rid of her!
  16. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Response! If you tell people its contagious they will leave you alone for sure :)

I live on five acres and only know one neighbor by name. I see her about once every few months when I am getting the mail. Her Mom has FM, so she understands. I would not want to know the others!

Shalom, Shirl

17. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Advocates of the "positive attitude" theory of recovery should be sealed in glass tubes for study. Will we ever understand them?

kb101, good post. In times of distress I sometimes call the crisis line to vent. You meet the weirdest people there, even a few of the "positive attitude" types. Mostly though, they are amazed at how any person can continue to survive in such conditions and remain so whole. The naysayers, I do my best to inform about our DD (I hope it will have a ripple effect and make them nicer to others who have this), and just laugh afterward if they still don't understand.

With the positive attitue advocates I talk to, I do this to cheer myself up. I tell myself that by giving me dumb advice, they feel they have done their good deed for the day. By smiling and nodding and keeping my fist balled safely behind my back where it can't connect with thier smug faces, I've done MY good deed for the day. ;)
    ((lol)) Shannon