Did you or will you get the flu shot?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Oct 24, 2006.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I got one today. When I get shots, I usually ask for them in my butt. Since we were in a public place I couldn't do that. My arm keeps hurting progressively worse but I guess it's not as bad as the flu. What are everyone else's thought on the shot?

GO CARDS!
  2. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I got the flu shot last week (only a 1/2 dose) and got sick within two days. Still feeling like I have a virus.

Last year, I got the same dose and felt terrible and never went back for my second dose.

I asked several nurses and my ER doctor friend and none of them get the shots. Go figure!

Hope you do much better than me. Some people can take the vaccines with no problems at all.

T
  3. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

since I have Sjogrens, my rheumy said I have to get 1 yearly, & the pneumonia every 5 yrs. Usually, I don't have any side effects, other than a little swelling. I just ice it a while once I get home. Last year, I hardly had any colds/flu at all. I don't think I had anything till around spring when the weather started changing. Good luck to everyone :)
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

I've never had one. Maybe I need to think about getting one.

Kriket
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

many decisions is like trying to predict the future.

I don't think I will as I haven't had the flu in decades.

There seems to be some degree of risk.

If the really bad flu (bird flu) shows up, they aren't protecting against that anyway.

It's probably all a matter of luck anyway.
  6. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

My arm is so sore right now. I can hardly lift it up. I've had flu shots in the past, but not the soreness that came with this one. Oh well, I feel like the shot has kept me from getting really sick for the last several years so I will continue to get one.
  7. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

I get them free at work, so i go ahead and get. My arm will ache for a couple days, but other than that, no probs. better than the flu......
  8. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi,

My doc that handle my CFIDS recommended used to recommend that her patients not get the flu shot, however- she now suggests that patients get the flu shot in 1/2 doses.

This doc also recommends (at least for me) the pneumovax (sp). I don't know if my PCP has the flu vaccine, or will cooperate in giving it to me in the half dose.

I have not had a flu shot in several years because of the lack of availability - so this year I will try to get my 1/2 dose at a time of flu shot.
  9. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Yes, I got one today with my Dh - gotta have one because of him BUT I also need one for myself..... Arm hurts- But not too bad Janet
  10. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I got one today. Suprisingly I've had no symptoms at all from it; just a bit of ache around the spot where they did the shot, but nothing otherwise =].

I think even if I had gotten bad symptoms from it, flu-like ones, I still would've been happy I got it. It really beats actually getting the flu.

11. DoveL

DoveL Member

I never had one..and never will.

I am too sensitive to meds and allergic to alot of stuff.. I am afraid that my body will act negatively to it.

Dove
  12. i got my flu shot yesterday,here in the uk.i feel ok,just a sore arm where the needle went in,but i can cope with that pain.

i get the flu shot each year,as id hate catching the flu,and it being so bad that id have to go into hospital.i have breathing problems already,as i suffer from contact asthma.you know,the sort that triggers off if i come into contact with certain smells,like petrol fumes,perfume,bleach.

i had a very bad bout of the flu about 3 weeks ago,and wondered why should i now have the flu shot,when ive already had the flu?

but im told that there are many other different flu viruses out there,just waiting to invade our already weak immune system.

my advice is have the flu shot.yes it can make certain people feel a bit poorly for a few days,in as giving you a slight fever,but it will keep you out of the hospital.

kind regards
    fran
  13. jole

jole Member

No. I have never had one. I am allergic to eggs, and therefore cannot get one. Sometimes I wish I could, but on the other hand, I really am a little skeptical of all those vaccinations anyway.

In all the years I worked as a nurse, the only thing I was ever sick with was bronchitis. But now that I no longer work in the hospital setting at all, and am practically a hermit, I suppose my luck will change! Isn't that the way it usually goes????

Stay well, all!
  14. mary124

mary124 New Member

I will get mine on the 6th of the month. My employer is offering them this year for $15.00 (can't bet that price, plus I don't have to take leave for it). Everytime I called my doctors office, they either haven't scheduled the appointments yet, or ran out!

I don't usually get sick or anything from it either. My husband on the other hand, usually gets a touch of the flu, but he has found out that if he starts taking Advil for at least 2 days before hand then he doesn't have any symptoms at all.
  15. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I haven't taken it in years due to my overreactive immune system.

And then, for the first time, my helper came with the flu & I got it. Now on my 5th day of feeling yukko, but still prefer this than overstimulating my system, and crashing anyway.

LIGHT***********carole
  16. jom2

jom2 New Member

i was told that with fibro i should not get a flu shot dr was worried about reaction
  17. sweetpea48

sweetpea48 New Member

I didn't get the shot for years, then got the flu one year. I don't want that again, so I get the shot every year. It's free at work. I've never had any problems with it other than minor soreness.
  18. joanng

joanng New Member

I got the flu shot last week. My arm was sore but that was it....my fibro doctor said I should also get the Shingles shot too. I'm a little leary about that though. Maybe I'll post a topic on it.
  19. JLH

JLH New Member

Got mine a couple week ago.

I have not had one single problem from it! Not even a sore arm!

I have such a comprimised immune system, I feel I must get one each year.

I have also had the pneumonia shot, but can't remember what year I got it and how often they recommend it!!