Did your mom have toxemia during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynnkat, Jun 18, 2003.

1. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

My mom had toxemia when she was pregnant with me so I was wondering how many of you might have the same start in life as me. I was always sick with something and my mom is so fond of saying that I was so much more trouble as a baby and child than my brother was. Of course she didn't have any problems when she was preganant with him.

I am not trying to blame her for my problems now I just was curious if this might have been the start of alot of my illness.

Appreciate any input. lynnkat
  2. KayL

KayL New Member

ME. LOL I had toxemia with both of my pregnancies, worse with my son, and he was sick the entire first 3 years of his life.

Karen
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I had toxemia with my last child, who is now 22. He was premature by 3 weeks, but weighed almost 12 lbs. and was 24 inches long! He was healthy except for a little jaundice.

He has been extremely healthy all of his life, except for a little allergies, and is now 6'4" and weighs around 240. He looks like a football player with broad shoulders, but is a softie with a heart of gold!
  4. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

I also had toxemia when I was pregnant so I guess you could say that I am a toxemia baby who had toxemia during my pregnancy! I did not fare as well as you as I had a stillborn little girl at 8 months of pregnancy. Once again my mom reminded me that she had toxemia with me, much worse than mine of course, and I was born. Of course I was anemic(sp?) and got shots to help with this ailment when I was a baby.

Kayl and jlh---glad to hear that your kids both fared well in this situation.

JLH---a 12#,24 inch baby!! The doc told me that most toxemia babies are underweight at birth. I was only 5# and was a skinny kid but I sure have made up for that now! LOL

Thanks again for replying. :) lynnkat
  5. sujay

sujay New Member

lynnkat,

I'm sorry to hear about your little girl. That must have been devestating.

I had pre-eclampsia with my first pregnancy, and all 3 of my children were a little early. I think there's a connection here with hypercoagulation, or sticky blood, which is well known to be associated with infertility and problem pregnancies. Loads of previous posts on that topic, but you're welcome to contact me at yahoo if you have further questions.

Love,
    Sujay
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I craved ice cream during that pregnancy and probably ate almost a half-gallon a day! I guess the baby liked all of that milk and sugar!
  7. Notonline

Notonline New Member

My mom lost two babies, both around 6 month mark before I was born, but I don't believe toxemia was an issue.

I did develope servere pre-eclampsia with my son, he was born at 28 weeks, 1lb. 14oz. Now 4yrs old, thankfully with no present health concerns. Although my health was never A+, (I caught many colds, had IBS since 13, and always had a problem with keeping up the pace), I can say that I have literally felt like I've been run over by a steamroller since my pregnancy with him. It takes all I can do to keep up with him some days.

Take Care,
    Danny

8. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

Sujay--I didn't know about the connection between hypercoagulation and toxemia. I have read a couple of articles on this subject since my last blood work was drawn and they had problems with obtaining it and when they finally found a vein the blood was slow and thick like molasses. I was devastated when I lost my baby especially since we had been trying so long to have a baby. She would have 26 years old this year so it is not a new loss for me but I always think of her. Thanks so much for your verbal hug.

JLH---a half gallon of ice cream a day?? The only craving that I had was pineapple juice and cheese popcorn and I only tried that once. Let's just say that it didn't agree with me!!! LOL

Ladyblu---I'm glad that your son is doing well after his shaky start in life. They grow up so fast so enjoy every minute, even the tough ones.

Notonline----Thanks for replying---I know that steamroller that ran over you too and I don't even have a little one to take care of anymore.
  9. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

My mother had Toxemia when she was pregnant in "68" with me. She almost died. This is one of those story that get repeated and repeated in a family...boy do you remember how sick Linda was when she was pregnant. I weighed in at 8lbs 14ozs. My whole life I've been a sickly person.

I didn't have toxemia with my two pregnancies, but was sick with other problems all the time. I was always in and out of the hospital and on bed rest for 2 months of my last pregnancy. There are 12 doctors in the practice I go to. I see only one for visits. Being in the hospital so much they all know me now right off the bat and my kids are 4 & 5 now.

Tammy
  10. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Just adding some more info to my post...my mom lost 2 boys back in the 60's due to thyroid, before having me. The second one she said was over 3 1/2lbs and was breathing without a respirator for over a day, probably if he was not born in such a rural area without any facilities to handle a premature birth he might still be alive today.

I do have something called a thrombian (sorry brain is not working today, can't spell) gene variant with my blood, making for a higher clotting risk, but I don't believe I have ever been in a hypercolaguble state (that I know of).

I do suspect that I may be a former DES daughter also...something you may want to read up on...I understand that DES daughters also have a higher risk of complications with pregnancy, toxemia included I believe.

{{{Hugs}}} here also...
    Danny

11. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

Your mom must be a strong lady to have gone through all that during her pregnancies. It took me a good while to bounce back both emotionaly and physically from my go around with toxemia.

I'm not quite sure what DES is--can you explain?

I have had many thyroid blood tests run but I'm always within the "normal" reading according to the docs but I have wondered if something isn't going on in that department since several of my relatives have had thyroid troubles including my dad who now is living with being manic/depressive.

Thanks for taking time to reply to my post---it is good to know that people here care about others.

Take care. :) lynnkat
  12. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...rough day today.

Yes, my mom is one tough lady. Thankfully she passed some of that toughness on to me or I don't think I would have made it though life as well as I have so far.

DES is short for Diethylstilbestrol (looked it up so I could spell it right...LOL) it was supposed to be a synthetic estrogen that was pretty commonally prescribed to pregnant women (especially those with a history of previous problems, like my mom) from 1938 to 1971 (according to CDC records). I've read that it was given in pill form or sometimes mixed with a vitamin shot (B12), also sometimes as a suppository. DES exposure in the womb can not only increase risk for complications during pregnancy but also leave you at a higher risk for devoloping a rare type of clear cell cancer. So it might be worth taking a glance at just in case. If you copy and paste in either Diethylstilbestrol or DES daughters in Google you can come up with a ton of sites and info.

This was one of those highly promoted "wonder" drugs that came back later to haunt people...awful.

Take Care...
    Danny
  13. Dolphin82

Dolphin82 New Member

Hi lynnkat,
    My mum had toxiamia during my pregancy and was induced at 32 weeks so i was very small only weighed One Pound and thirteen oz when i was born,was in an incubator for ages.
    I weighed 15 pounds when i was a year old had my pic in the paper i still have it.
    Someone else about premature births,think it could have a link to fibro ect because of immature immune system when born to early,sounds very interesting would like to find out
    though in case there is a link.
    Let me no if u find anything wont you?

Dolphin 82
    Bye for now.