DID your Mom?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by buddylee, Oct 25, 2005.

1. buddylee

buddylee New Member

Did your Mom smoke? not that it causing FM, but who knows.

I dont know if mom smoked when she was pregnet but she did most of my child hood life. My guess is she did.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

EVERYBODY smoked!!!

... so many did until the 1970s!

My entire family smoked except me, and I always got headaches from the smoke even tho I grew up around it... altho most of my friends at least didn't.

So don't know if this would be a factor or not in our problems...

Victoria
  3. lease79

lease79 New Member

Mum smoked like a train & still freaking does *rolleyes* & worse she smoked in the house & car, & so did all our family & friends so I lived, eat & slept SMOKE :mad:
    I have a bi-cornate uterus, bi-cornate dangly bit in the back of my throat (both early birth defects,) I have scarred lungs although I have never been a smoker myself & my asthma has never been bad enough to cause the damage done :(
    I actually do blame my Mother's smoking for alot of my problems health wise & I swear if I end up with lung cancer I will absolutely HAVE her.
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

Oh & also wanted to add that a woman at my Playgroup that smokes (& smokes whilst she is pregnant,) just had her third child.
    The first one has an abnormality with his head, the 2nd one appears to be fine & the 3rd one that she has just had has a cleft gum. Interesting indeed ;)
  5. Muddieanne

Muddieanne New Member

Neither parent smoked. No woman in family ever smoked or drank alcohol. Mom died age 49,obviously not from smoking. I am 62 and do smoke,but don't have high blood pressure which caused mother's death. Sometimes things just happen or don't happen.
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Yes, my mother chain smoked through her three pregnancies & throughout our childhood.
  7. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

My mom was a chain smoker.
    cindy
  8. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

Not only did my mom smoke while I was pregnant, she smoked until she had to be on oxygen all the time and died about a year later at age 68. My dad smoked up to the week he died at age 81 and to beat it all....my husband still smokes. (He doesn't smoke in the house though.) I have never smoked and I beg him to not make me have to watch another person I love die from that horrid habit but he just won't listen. The addiction must be awful because my husband can usually do anything he puts his mind to. Don't know if it has anything to do with FMS but it just might!
    Stinker56
  9. Charleneyz1984

Charleneyz1984 New Member

Yes thats me in as well, my mum smoked through her pregnancy with me and also through most of my childhood!
  10. suzetal

suzetal New Member

NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  11. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

no my mum never smoked neither did I but I do live with a smoker so I guess I don't need to I get enuf off him
  12. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Both my parents smoked .. my two siblings smoked ( they tried to quit several times ) .. my husbands family smoked ..
    I was trapped in the car with my parents smoking as a kid .. the strange thing is .. I had severe motion sickness in the car .. but when they smoked, it stopped most of it .. now how crazy is that ?
    I never smoked .. breathing problems ...
    My 2 cents thrown in now !

Fudge : )
  13. matthewson

matthewson New Member

My dad did for awhile, but he had to go in the garage or outside to smoke. Mom would not let him in the house to smoke! He finally quit when I was in high school.

Don't know that it would have anything to do with FMS, but maybe another stressor on the body breathing in second hand smoke.

Take care, Sally
  14. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

Mom never smoked. Cigarette smoke gives her a migraine.

I think she has FMS too. I suugested to her recently that she start reading up on it. She agrees with me, but her doctor is pretty ignorant on the issue. She lives in a small town, so her options are limited. :-(

My dad smoked for a while, but that was before he married Mom.
  15. tngirl

tngirl New Member

My mom smoked from a young age until her death in 2000 at age 71. She did smoke during the pregnancy. I was 2 months premature.
  16. kat_tastrophe

kat_tastrophe New Member

No one in my immediate family has ever smoked anything...

~Kat
  17. fivesue

fivesue New Member

smoked on and off until I was 11 years old at which time she quit for good. She didn't smoke that much and I don't remember ever being cooped in a car with smoke although both parents did smoke until I was 11. I know she didn't smoke while pregnant because she was sick as a dog with all four of us.

Anyway, that's my story! (-:

Doubt seriously if her smoking contributed to my FM.

Sue
  18. Momma25gr8kids

Momma25gr8kids New Member

My Mom didn't start smoking until she left my Dad when I was 3. She quit when I was about 12. We lived with my Grandparents who did not smoke, Grandpa quit shortly after I was born. I don't recall seeing her smoke often, mostly at large family gatherings -when there were others smoking in the house.

I started developing allergies at 7 and asthma at 11. I started experimenting with smoking when I was 9 or 10, and had a regular habit by 15. I have quit many times and always start again in times if great stress.

I smoked through all four pregnancies, not alot but I did.
    All four boys -now 16,14,11,3- were born healthy -7lbs. 8oz., 10lbs. 1oz., 10lbs., 3oz., and 8lbs., 9oz., in order- and remain so to this day. I try to limit their exposer to my smoke, I know it can have detrimental effects on them.

Don't think I am defening smoking, I'm not, I'm saying smoking is just a factor in alot of things not so much the cause as many try to imply.

If anything I blame my father and my genelogy for my health problems. I am a fair-skinned, freckle faced, redhead. Redheads have a higher tendancy toward many health anomolies, and my father was an alcoholic.
  19. kgangel

kgangel New Member

This is a question I never thought of, yes both my parents smoked and all the family did when we were you we were around it all the time. I am adopted so I don't think my mother who was 16 at the time smoked, but who knows. Both my parents quit when they found out how dangerous it was though.

kgangel
  20. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Yes, my mom was and still is a heavy smoker. Has been since she was 18, I think. Through five pregnancies and my dad's throat cancer too. My dad never smoked. Didn't have to, I'm sure, since just walking in their house was enough smoke for everyone!

I've never smoked, guess I was just too sickened by all the smoke when I was younger. Also because my husband is so anti-smoking that he'd kill me if I did!

Kat

[ advertisement ]