Didn't know Neurontin is a Anti-seizure Med....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dghoover, Jun 12, 2003.

1. dghoover

dghoover New Member

I was under the understanding it was a Anti- depressent. That was used to help with sleep.

Can some one tell me for sure what it is?

Thank you, LOL

Debra
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

It is primarily an anti-seizure med which is used for nerve pain in may who have FM. It can cause drowsiness. My doc has me take it at night only because my fatigue level is so high. I also have CFS.

Barbara
  3. Seagull

Seagull New Member

My pcp has written a prescrip for me to try the Neurontin, but I have not filled it yet. It is for only a 100 mgs per dose because of how sensitive I am to meds and is supposed to help me sleep deeply.

But, I already take Diazepam (Valium), up to 6 mgs per day but usually only need 2 mgs per day, for my Meniere's symptoms.

I am so sensitive to most meds that I wonder if it would over-sedate me on the nights I have to have to take both of these drugs at the same time? :-O
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Paul Cheney has written an excellent article on Klonopin which explains why we suffer from sleep problems, anxiety, and sensory overload. He also explains why Klonopin helps us. Seems that our brains are in a constant state of slight seizure or misfiring of the neurons. Neurontin and Klonopin help to smooth things out for us. The Klonopin has been like a miracle for me.

Love, Mikie
  5. dghoover

dghoover New Member

You learn things everyday, My Rhummy has me on 300MG of Neurontin 2x a Day. I have FM & Lupus both. Thanks again! LOL Debra
  6. Annie06

Annie06 New Member

Hi! I was reading your message on "Neurontin" I am taking at this time.... 300mgx2 a day.... I have never been told about "not" taking magnesium within 4hrs. (why!) find this very interesting! I have DDD, it does help with the pain somewhat, and helps me sleep. thanks!

Annie
  7. Mumu

Mumu New Member

I read in the warnings about Neurontin that when you stop taking the medication it can actually cause seizures in people who have never had a seizure disorder before. I had only taken three pills up to that point, and I decided to quit before my body became dependent on the stuff. Besides, it gave me a migraine headache all three times I took it.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Require slowly weaning off if someone decides to quit the medication. Seizures are usually caused by not weaning off slowly, but even when one does wean off slowly, seizures are a possibility.

Like all medications, one must weigh the potential benefits and risks. Not addressing the constant state of slight seizure in our brains can cause brain damage. It is for this reason that I decided the benefits outweigh the risks. Klonopin has allowed me to get eight hour of quality sleep, has done away with my anxiety/panic attacks, and has greatly decreased my sensory overload and tinnitus.

The reason I recommend Dr. Cheney's article is so that people trying to make this decision will at least be making an informed decision. It is up to each one of us to decide our risk tolerance.

Love, Mikie
  9. BevB

BevB New Member

Nerontin is also used to control the pain caused by Post Herpetic Neuralgia, a condition resulting from Shingles. Simply put, the Shingles rash (on my face)went away but the pain didn't. I've been on it for about six weeks now and am taking 300 mg 4x daily- roughly every four hours.
    It controls the pain very well. The side effects I am having are sleepiness, confusion, slurred speech & loss of balance.
    I can minimize the side effects if I eat something substantial when I take the meds. If I don't, I need a serious nap, I am not alert enough to drive and as I told the doc "I get stupid". I can't think of the word I want or I lose track of the subject...I'm 57 so the family thinks I'm just having another senior moment. LOL
    When I do sleep, I am dead to the world; it's difficult for anything to wake me- when I wake after 8 hrs I'm rested and alert.

Is it worth it? You bet. If I can control the facial pain and take measures to control the side effects, I won't complain. I'm reading that PHN can last for the next 3 seconds or the next 30 years. I don't really have a choice.

BevB

10. Dara

Dara New Member

that a lot of people with FM use. It's another one that you have to wean yourself off of. Also, I'm sure this is common knowledge, but just in case someone didn't know - alprazolam or Xanax are two medications that if you've taken on a regular basis needs weaning off of or it will cause seizures.

Dara
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is some pretty good evidence now that Klonopin may interrupt pain signals in the brain. I believe this is true. I am sure that if it is true for Klonopin, it is most likely true for the Neurontin as well. Your side effects may settle down in time. I hope so and I am glad it is helping you with your pain. Nerve pain is the worst.

The numbness in both ears from facial surgery recently is starting to go away, but the ears are very tender and painful if I sleep on them. I know once the nerve has regenerated, this will go away, but healing nerves is a long process.

Lots of Vitamin B-12 is good for this, especially the liquid type. Perhaps your doc would even consider an injection to help your nerves heal. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  12. BevB

BevB New Member

Will you explain the term "ramping". I'm not familiar with it. Thanks
    BevB
  13. PUTTER

PUTTER New Member

I have been taking Neurontin for six years. I have radiculopathy in my neck and my Neurologist is trying to keep me out of surgery. I take 800mgs 3 times a day. That's 2400 mgs a day. My Dr slowely rose my mgs until I hit 2400.

I have the same symptoms as BevB....
    I am 73 and my family really thinks Granny is around the bend....

Mostly all the writers say Neurontin is for nerve pain, and I agree. My Neurologist told me it was first used for Epilepsy,and now it is used for many reasons.
    Hope this helps you.
    PUTTER

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2003]