Diet and Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jee, Mar 26, 2003.

1. jee

jee New Member

I have been told to eliminate wheat from my diet. I switched to spelt and then find out it is an old grain, still wheat. Does anyone else avoid wheat and does it help? Any other dietary suggestions welcomed.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Jee, welcome to the board. A lot of people have a problem with wheat and dairy products. I don't, I eat only whole wheat, and no white flour at all. That did seem to help my Fibro pain along with my magnesium supplements.

I also drink half my body weight in ounces of water, which has been a tremendous help with my sinus problems and the Fibro Fog.

What is it that you have? Fibro or CFS? you didn't say.

We do have a lot of memebers who don't eat wheat products, so they will be able to help you more than I!

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl

3. jee

jee New Member

Thanks for responding Shirl. I found out almost two years ago that I have fibromyalgia. It really stinks! I too drink a lot of water and have eliminated most wheat products, about 90%. I will have to take it on faith that it will help. I am taking a wide spetrum of supplements and have read a book by a doctor named Shrand. It has been helpful.

Hope your day is good and that we all sleep tonight.
    Jee
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to our board.

There's another post about wheat here that you may find helpful.

Love, Mikie
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I do not think most people should be eating grains, whether they have Fibro or not. I gave up all grains except 1/4 cup of raw oats daily. I also gave up all starchy vegetables (potatoes, beets, corn, carrots, turnips), all rice, refined sugars, and concentrated sugars (jams, jellies, juices).
    Eating large portions of lean protein and lots of green veggies with plenty of water and a couple of whole, fresh fruits daily has turned my energy around in a big way. This applies to most people, not just Fibro patients.
    You can go to Dr. Joseph Mercola's website and read all about The Metabolic Typing Diet, which helps you set up the right diet for you specifically, based on the foods your ancestors ate,which are the foods you are genetically equipped to do well on. A high carb diet with wheat in it, is only good for those whose ancestors came from hot places where they ate grains all the time. We are not allowed to give URL's here, but I can tell you that you can find Dr. Mercola's website, just by using his last name.
    Other than getting Xanax to help me sleep, I think the Metabolic Typing Diet is the thing that has helped my Fibro the most. I only wish I had discovered it sooner.
    Klutzo
  6. ReneeRN

ReneeRN New Member

HI, I've eliminated sugar, Nutraseweet, processed foods, white rice, white potatoes, corn, peanuts, yeast, temp all fruit except lemon or lime juice.
    I try to stick to whole foods, organic if possible, meat grown without hormones or pestacides preferably grass fed or free roaming. Colorful salads with low sugar dsg. Plain yougurt. Olive oil, flax seed oil. Whole grain Ezekel bread without yeast, preferably no wheat. Carrots, almonds or olives for snacks. Lots and lots of filtered water. Stevia for sweetner. Herb teas. Colorful large salads with protein chicken or fish. Food is more expensive but I feel better missed less work, and I've lost weight. See book The Fungus Link by Doug Kaufmann.
    God bless, ReneeRN
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I am allergic to gluten, so that means almost no grains of any kind for me. I'm also allergic to eggs, milk, soy, corn, potatoes, some fish, beef, pork and nuts. Whatta life, huh???

I've finally come out of the grief process (believe me, when I found out about all this, I briefly considered killing myself) and there are alternative flours (such as quinoa, amaranth, tapioca) you can combine to bake with. There ARE gluten-free bakeries that I've been told ship around the country; I've never done that, but do a search on it.

If you are only wheat-sensitive, check a celiac website; they have good suggestions & recipes. I can't use most of what's there, because their recipes contain other things I can't have.

I do use brown rice & wild rice----rice pastas are pretty good! They make corn pastas, too (I'm allergic to corn, but you might not be).

There ARE alternatives, especially it wheat or gluten is your only issue.

BTW, you asked if wheat-free makes you feel better. Not yet for me, but I've only been doing this less than a month. I may have a little more energy, though. I figure I had undx'd food allergies probably for decades-------if it took that long for me to get broken, it's probably going to take years to fix me!

Good luck!

Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 04/02/2003]