Diet Change Cured My CFS and Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chilove, Oct 5, 2006.

1. chilove

chilove Member

Hello all,

I recently came across this board and I wanted to share my story with others and hopefully inspire others. I suffered from chronic fatigue and very painful fibromyalgia for several years. I barely managed to live from day to day. I was miserable.

Conventional doctors could find nothing wrong with me other than the fact that I often had long lasting low grade fevers. I tried all sorts of very expensive alternative treatments including all kinds of vitamins and herbs, chiropractic, acupuncture, naturapathic, homeopathic, even energy healing and prayer. Nothing worked. I spent thousands and thousands of dollars for nothing.

Luckily one day while searching the internet for yet more things to try as I was desperate to get my life back I came across something about a raw vegan diet (100% raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds) curing many diseases. I decided to try it. I figured it couldn't hurt me to eat fruit and veggies for awhile and it if it helped it would be worth it. I was amazed to find out that it helped immediately. Within a couple of days, the pain from the fibro started easing up and I felt a little more hopeful. Within a few weeks the pain from the fibro was completely gone, my muscles were no longer chronically cramped and I had a little more energy. I was amazed.

A few times I slipped up and ate a cooked meal like I used to eat and the pain would come back the next day. I read as much as I could about the raw diet and found out that many, many people have healed themselves from all kinds of illnesses with a raw vegan diet. Immune related diseases seem to respond particularly well. The raw vegan diet allows the body to detoxify and alkinalize itself. I belive this is why it works so well.

Two years later I am still eating all raw, have gone back to college, feel wonderful physically and mentally and am loving life! I've lost 80 lbs and my depression and anxiety have also gone away. I'd be happy to share before and after pics and answer any questions anyone has. It makes to sad to think about others suffering needlessly. Please try it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Blessings,

Audrey [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2006][This Message was Edited on 10/05/2006]
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Thanks for the info. It sounds much like the diet recommended by Hallelujah Acres. Just make sure you get plenty of protein. Without meat and seafood it is easy to lose protein.

A few suggestions...it is hard for some of us to read posts that don't have breaks in them. The fibrofog distorts the lines. Please put paragraph breaks in your post. You can use the edit button under your name to the left.

Also, it is against the rules to post your email addy here. If someone is interested in talking with you, you can exchange addys in the chatroom.

One last thing. Please fill out your profile. We want to get to know you better. You can do this by clicking the "Edit Your Profile" button on the top right of the screen. You can check out other people's profiles by clicking on the name to the left.

Welcome to the board. Seems like you have a lot to share with us, and we can share right back. Good to have you here.

God Bless.
  3. chilove

chilove Member

Hi all,

I'm sorry about the email addy. I didn't realize. I removed it. I am not selling anything. :) I'm just so happy to be cured and want to shout it from the roof tops. I know that I wouldn't have had to suffer as long as I did if I had heard of the raw diet sooner. Anyone can do a simple google search on raw foods to find out more.

You don't need to worry about protein by the way. The meat and dairy industry has sold us a bill of goods about that. Humans require a very small amount of protein. The World Health Organization says about 5%. Fruits and veggies provide more than enough protein. Few people realize that calorie per calorie, greens and broccoli contain more protein than beef!

Hallelujah Acres is a great start!!! Many people have healed many conditions with their program. I do feel that they are a little misguided in some things. But it is a definite improvement over the SAD (standard american diet)

I am a student and won't have all that much to post on here, which is why I suggested that if people have questions to contact me directly.

I really just wanted to get the word out and let people do the research and try it for awhile and come to their own conclusions.

All the best,

Audrey
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

and thanks for your feedback.

It does seem that diet, esp. enzymes in teh form of raw fruit and veg or juiced fruit and veg, is important for people with these immune diseases.

It's taken me a long time to absorb that and begin to act on it...but I'm finally making the effort.

Good to get encouragement though...It's the same message we've been hearing from Matn, Rich Carson and Stormyskye among others.

Cheers
    Delia
  5. NancyMystic

NancyMystic New Member

Great that you're feeling good again!

I like when people post recovery stories.

Nance
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We love good news here. Lifestyle changes can be as helpful and important as any other treatments. I try to eat a lot of raw unprocessed foods, including nuts and seeds.

When I first got sick, I would crave red meat. I no longer do, but I do eat some seafood, turkey, and chicken. I will occasionally eat red meat but I don't crave it anymore. Vegans won't eat eggs but for everyone else, they are a great source of protein.

Thanks again and congratulations. Please be careful and avoid stress. I'm not trying to be the voice of negativity but a young person can go into remission and feel cured. Later, down the road, it is possible to relapse if something triggers these illnesses again. I think we always have to be careful.

Love, Mikie
  7. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

i would love to do raw but i never feel satisfied. could you give me a sample of your daily food. thx for your help love Gail
  8. dannybex

dannybex Member

...isn't always good for others -- but I'm really glad it worked for you Audrey.

Some body types just cannot digest raw food well, and in fact, cooking helps break down the food so that it can be digested better. Some may need to take enzymes if they eat more cooked food.

I find if I eat too much raw veggies, I get extreeeeemely cold all over. Clearly, the raw thing isn't strengthening enough for my body type.

I think the key thing to remember is that REAL FOOD is important, in fact critical to recovery. One won't get better eating "Hot Pockets"!

d.
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

for your encouraging message, Audrey. Hope you contine to feel well.
  10. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

Thank You For SHaring I have been running a low grade fever for 3 weeks now HHMMMM....and feeling my lowest, started Cymbolta which is helping a little

Jessica
  11. chilove

chilove Member

Hi All,

I forgot to mention that I also had IBS (and a few other health problems like chronic bladder infections, yeast infections, depression, anxiety, panic attackes, dandruff and probably a couple of other things I'm forgetting.) before I went raw. Within 3 weeks or so of going raw my IBS was completely gone! It was amazing. I had been diagnosed by a naturapath as having leaky gut syndrome and an flora imbalance. I had been taking tons of VERY expensive enzymes and probiotics for years and they didn't help at all, but going raw did!!

I eat mostly fruit which is much more easily digested than vegetables. I don't eat any tough vegetables, only tender stuff like tender lettuces, tomatoes and cucumbers. The tougher veggies are not very digestible and there really isn't any reason to like them unless you really like them, which I really don't.

I also was cold at first went I raw, along with a few other fairly minor detox symptoms (some minor cold like symptoms here and there and occasional tiredness) but it passed. I feel awesome now!! :)

I'm 37 and feel better now than I ever have since I was a teenager.

All the best,

Audrey

12. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi everyone,

I agree with Audrey that changing your diet is SOOO important. I have had CFS for 5 years now and I changed my diet 2 years ago to a vegan diet (still might have a piece of dessert a few times a year). It has helped me a lot.

Someone suggested a book to me called "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Don't be fooled. It says it is for weight loss but it is really for anyone who wants to eat healthier. You just take his advice and apply it to your needs. If you aren't overweight (which I wasn't) you wouldn't follow his strict recommendations. You just take in the information and find out how to eat healthy. I learned a lot from that book.

I had a roommate in college who was vegetarian and I always said that I could NEVER be vegetarian. I guess never say never is right because you would be suprised what you can do when you are trying to beat an illness. To me there was no question. It was hard at first but not as hard as I thought it would be. When your health is on the line it is easier to stick with it.

The first week or so was awful I have to say. I felt really bad and even thought about stopping. But he said in the book to expect to feel worse from your body going through withdrawl and such which is why I decided to stay with it. I was it tears one day. But once that all passed it was SOOOO worth it. Before I became vegan my CFS was much worse. I could never sleep at night. I would be up most of the night with either insomnia or feeling horribly ill with my symptom flare ups. This was every night for 3 years. During the day I felt awful too.

Once I became vegan I was able to sleep at night which in itself was worth it. It was AMAZING to be able to sleep. I am sure you all can relate to not sleeping and how awful that is. Plus not only could I sleep at night but I felt better in the day (probably because I was sleeping). I had more energy than usual and was able to do things for longer. My crashes were shorter too. It was no cure for me as I am still sick but I am better than I used to be. I am actually hoping that now that I am in a MUCH healthier living environment that maybe my diet combined with a new environment may actually help me improve more.

Eating healthy helps your immune system work better and your body work better and more effciently. What is more important...eating stuff you are used to eating or feeling better? Plus once you have changed your diet you crave healthy foods. I actually crave fruits and veggies (how crazy is that!!!) Your tastes will change and there are very tasty vegan foods. There is plenty of good stuff to eat trust me.

Anyhow that is my two cents. Healthy eating to all :)
  13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I think I might try this. I was a vegetarian for about 10 years because of what is fed to cattle, pigs, and chickens. The doc thought there might be something there that triggered my migraines.

I was perfectly healthy and my blood pressure and cholesteral were much lower than they are now.

I eat beef now, but only what we raise ourselves. I know what they've been eating! I still don't eat much meat. If I have to cook it I won't eat it. I can't stand the way it looks or smells. Doesn't matter if it's beef, pork or chicken, if I have to cook it I won't eat it. The only exception is hamburger. Weird, I know, but nobody ever accused me of being normal!

Raw would be different because I cooked veggies, ate bread and pasta with processed tomato sauce on the pasta.

Tomorrow is grocery day. I'll see if I think there is enough available to keep me from feeling hungry all the time. I already eat a lot of apples. In fact today I had my shake for breakfast (all raw), peanut butter and honey sandwich and an apple for lunch (some raw, some not), and will have another apple this afternoon. It helps that I live in "Apple Country" and there are wonderful just picked apples available right now!

So, Raw, Raw, Raw! I'll let you all know if I do it and how things go!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  14. ulala

ulala New Member

she wrote many posts about her diet and how it cured her. She now plays tennis four hours a day and rarely comes to this site anymore.

I should say that it is not a cure because once you resume a regular diet the symptoms come back.

[This Message was Edited on 10/06/2006]
  15. fisher57

fisher57 New Member

The world health organization recommends that an individual get 10 t 15% of their daily calories from protein. So if an indivdual eats 2000 calores daily then they should eat the very minimun of 50 gms. of protein daily....period. I dont know where u got the 5% number?

thanks.......sandy
  16. blueyegirl57

blueyegirl57 New Member

This raw diet sounds good. Could you please let us know what you eat. I really want to try this.
    I recently move from sunny, warm Florida , back to upstate New York where it's cold. My fibro is worst. Can you help me with some suggestions.
    Thanks, Nancy
  17. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

actually this is not something new. In fact they say you can get control of your Fibro by elliminating all white flours, sugars, etc. out of your diet and stick to strict high grains, fresh veggies and fruits and protien. Im glad you found an answer for you. Thats awesome