Diet & Seizures From Dateline

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I watched Dateline last night but fell asleep right in the middle of the item on high-fat diet and Epilepcy. Seems that children whose seizures could not be controlled with drugs were put on a high-fat diet and the constant seizures went away.

Now, Dr. Cheney believes that our brains are in a constant slight state of seizure and that is what causes our symptoms of insomnia, anxiety/panic attacks, muscle spasms, and sensory overload. Read his article in the library on Klonopin for more on this.

Many of us feel better on the Atkins, SomerSize, or Syndrome X Diets which are high in natural fats like meat, fish, butter and cream. Not only do we lose weight on these diets, but our blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol usually go down. All my lipids improved on the SomerSize diet. I believe that these diets high in good fats may also improve the seizure activity in our brains.

Love, Mikie
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I saw the first show on this a year or so ago and then watched this update late night. Very interesting that once again, it is proven that eating REAL food and forgetting about the processed foods, is BETTER for us. I bet the parents that saw this show last night are scrambling to get into the doctors to get the diet layout.

Marilyn :)
  3. babyzee

babyzee New Member

All those years wasted, all those expensive drugs, and they were suppressing information about an affordable and VERY effective (though tedious) diet. Even the doctor admitted it was probably because of the drug companies' influence. No wonder all those families are so furious. I'm furious too.
    Keep in mind that children's bodies have somewhat different needs from adults'. For one thing, they need a lot more fat. All those things our grandmas used to say, like "eat your fat - it's good for you", are proving wiser than we thought.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That processed foods now taste strange? I had some microwave popcorn and decided to pop it and just have a handful. Good grief! I started feeling nauseated and disoriented and really sick. I threw it out. I usually do not eat processed foods at all anymore. I had the same reaction with Jello when I could only have that prior to a surgical procedure.

For years, we ate that crap and got used to it. Now that it is out of my system, I find I am very sensitive to it. It is poison in a box.

I'll stick with the veggies, fruit, dairy, meat, and poultry, with a little fish.

Love, Mikie
  5. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I was watching a movie a few weeks ago with Meryl Streep. It was a true story about a young boy who had serious seizures and they wanted to remove parts of his brain to stop the seizures, but the mother heard about the kinetic diet and how it was preventing seizures. She wanted to try that instead. She had to lie and cheat to get him to the hospital so he could be put on the diet, but it worked. His seizures went away. The really interesting thing is that many of the actors in the movie were actual seizure patients who had been through the diet and were cured.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank God, Dr. Atkins has been vindicated and SuzanneSomers is getting recognition for their healthy diets. We have been led down a very unhealthy path with the low fat diets prescribed over the last decade or two.

Sugar is absolute poison and the artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives in processed foods have got to be horrible for our brains and bodies. I just wish it were easier to find meat, poultry, fish, and dairy which is without hormones, antibiotics, and contamination.

Love, Mikie
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

In May I switched over to natural peanut butter, the ingredients being nothing but peanuts, salt and love. It tastes so good and it's hard to believe there's no sugar in it. A few days ago, just for the heck of it, I opened up the Jif, and stuck my finger in it, and then in my mouth. YECK!! I couldn't believe how horrible and chemically it tasted! I used to LOVE Jif! No more! I can't even eat regular bread, it has to be 100% Whole Wheat or nothing. Even canned vegy's and fruits taste terrible now. Margarine? Oh my, how could I have ever ate that stuff?

I think my taste buds have changed and no longer like man-made stuff.

Our local butcher shop has natural beef, the cows are raised on all natural products. It's expensive, but worth it. I also see ads in our local paper for "free range" chickens, eggs and beef.

[This Message was Edited on 07/23/2003]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have buying the free range eggs for years, but lately, they have been cracked on the bottom and break when I try to remove them from the carton. I even wiggled them at the market to make sure they were not cracked. Also, lately they have been covered with chicken s**t and have been bloody inside. Now, I can wash them off, but there is something about a bloody egg which just makes me sick. I really hate not using the free range eggs, though.

I will look for organic meat and poultry. I just wonder if it is even possible for our food supply to be free from all this stuff. It is everywhere anymore. I thought that farm-grown seafood was going to be the answer to mercury-free fish and then found out that antibiotics are added to the water to keep bacteria out.

I am afraid that we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg when it comes to illness caused by, or made worse by, our food supply.

Love, Mikie
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I'm afraid the only way we could ever be 100% sure that our food was wholesome and nutrious and safe, would be to raise it all ourselves, chemical free....we'd even have to raise the feed for our livestock. I betcha there's people here in the good old USA that have that luxury on their farms. I envy the heck out of them. Fresh garden vegy's, fresh eggs, chicken, beef, wow....what a way to live!

10. Kim

Kim New Member

I've been buying them for years. They're great! Don't limit yourself to peanut butter. Try almond butter, cashew butter, and soy butter.

ATKINS COLLEAGUES: I found a new product. It's called I.M. Healthy Low Carb SoyNut Butter. It's made in a factory free of peanuts (for those who are sensitive or allergic to peanuts). It's NOT organic but its only ingredients are Non-GMO roasted soybeans, soybean oil, soy concentrate, soy lecithin and salt. It has 170 calories per 2 tablespoons, 12g fat (1.5g Sat), 6 gr carb, and a whopping 5 gr dietary fiber. So for Atkins people, one serving is only 1 NET CARB. It comes in crunchy and smooth and it delicious. I've been eating it during induction by the ton and losing!

kim
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That soy is not good for us. I don't know whether there is anything to this or not.

I bought some almond butter at my local health food store and it was awful. Dry and tasteless. It was expensive too, so I've never tried any other.

Marilyn, remember that show, "The Waltons." They were always sitting around the table eating all that good organic home grown food. During the depression, the people on farms continued to eat well even though things were tight. The food back then was "real." I even remember as a kid during the 50's, that our food seemed to taste so much better. Of course, our taste buds are better then, but I think the food was just so much better.

Love, Mikie
  12. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I watch the Waltons everyday and wouldn't hesitate for even a milli-second to step back into their world to live the rest of my life if I had the opportunity. I love that show!

Soy inhibits the thyroid. It inhibits the conversion of T4 to T3. So if we already have an underactive thyroid, eating soy products will make it worse.

Monicat, I will certainly try the apple-peanut butter thing as soon as I am done losing the weight I need to this summer. I will be done just about the same time the apple crops peak around here! (Sept - Oct)

13. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Since my son was very sick with ulcerative colitis, we have all changed the way we eat. We get fish and chicken from the health food store - organic. NO processed foods - no garbage. Real fruit. I've been indulging in wonderful summer peaches - it's better than candy! I think we can all re-train ourselves to eat better. You've never tasted good chicken until you've had organic chicken. Give it a try!

Annette2
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can put a dab of peanut butter on celery. Celery is one of the best things one can eat to keep insulin from spiking. It burns more calories to digest celery than is in the celery itself.

Thanks for the info on soy. Since I'm on Synthroid, I guess I won't be eating it. I used to like Tofu in my soup. I have heard that if the soy is fermented like in tofu or soy sauce, it is OK to use. Unfortunately, fermented products aren't the best for us either. Geez, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Love, Mikie
  15. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Strangely enough, just last week I decided to try the celery/peanutbutter thing just because I am so bored with this diet thing, and both my hubby and I said, "What do people see in this?" I thought it was pretty bad and threw it away. Maybe it's because I've never been much of an admirerer of celery anyway?

If I recall correctly, you're right about the fermented soy thing. It's in one of my thyroid books.

16. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Natural, organic peanut butter has even more aflatoxin than processed does. Those with compromised immunity should not eat it more than once every ten days.

I found out that my arsenic posioning is from eggs. I only eat chicken once a week since I don't like it, but since going high protein/low carb, I eat eggs every morning. I've been buying Eggland's Best Omega 3 eggs, since the free range eggs in our store are always broken right in their cartons, and I wanted the extra Omega 3 oils.
    However, it turns out that non-free range chickens are routinely fed organic arsenic to kill parasites. Lovely. What will they think of next.

Klutzo
  17. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

But forgot. Any how I had a pretzel at costco the other day and inmediately started to feel all my joints hurt and it lasted for about a day. So I think that we all have to be very careful about the quality of our foods. The problem is the trial and error for us is painful. Hope these manufactures get a concience soon and make quality products.
  18. beckster

beckster New Member

an article (comparative immunology,microbiology and infectious diseases journal (2000) volume 23n.4)that says in Europe they have recently treated equine CFIDS (yeah, CFIDS in horses) with the arsenical drug, thiacetarsamide sodium, which often improves or cures the horse. Maybe we should eat those eggs!!!!!!!! In the horses after treatment the mocrococci-like bacteria which adhere to the surfaces of the red blood cells were gone and the general health of the horses improved. In the old days for a long time CFS-like vet conditions, such as asthenia or general debility were treated with arsenical preparations: arsonoacetic acid for general nervous disease; soduim arsenate for rheumatism;arsenic acid solution in blood diseases and arsenoacetic acid as an injectable tonic. With the arrival of modern anitbiotics and chemotherapy these old arsenical drugs fell into disuse in both human and vet medicine.

Sorry, I don't have a scanner or could print more out.
    Now, where did I put my arsenic?????????? Cheers--Beckster
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Perhaps another reason we feel better on the high protein diets. Many poisons are also medications and it's just a matter of dose. This is fascinating info; thanks for sharing it with us.

Another piece of the puzzle, folks. Jelly, Klutzo, are you reading this?

Love, Mikie
  20. aduck

aduck New Member

it's going crazy. I feel so strange, like I'm only halfway in this world or something. It's really scary, too. And I'm so nervous when I eat too many carbs and not enough protein and often do feel like I could have a seizure.

Especially in the A.M. for some reason I NEVER eat any carbs at all until lunch time or maybe 11:00 a.m. depending when I wake up, which is usually really early, can only sleep a few hours.