Diet soda Bad for you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jan 4, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Was wondering if drinking a diet soda a day is Bad for Fm? someone told me it was! Just checking to see if you all know anything about this?

It seems to Help alot to curb my sweet tooth cravings!......Thanks!
  2. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

Every time I switch to diet soda my FM/CFS flares so bad
    I think that I will die.

It takes about two weeks of drinking the diet soda for the
    flare to kick in. It takes about 4 weeks of no diet sodas
    to get back to my normal FM/CFS.

I hope it helps

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Wonder whats in it to make us go into flare's I Just Had a couple over the Holiday season and was trying to Remember Why i Gave it up in the first place!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Normaly i just drink H20 and tea
  4. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

For me it is the artificial sweetner that kills me. I used
    to drink it in my youth. Like you I didn't remember why
    I gave it up.

I have tried going back to it every couple of years because
    of a couple of extra pounds that I maybe carrying. It has
    the same disastrous effect every time.

I think I have finaly learned my lesson and have given it
    up for good.

It is real tough because I am a "Coke" addict. (Cola)

5. gladone

gladone New Member

Yes, I think it is bad for folks like us!!

My nuro doc say's it is very bad for the central nervous system. Thus due to our health problems it is best to leave the artificial stuff alone.

Just my opinion,
  6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Nutrisweet and splenda can cause neurological problems. When I ate sugar free products I would get numbing in various parts of my body, arms, legs, fingers, toes, face, lips, back. It took me a long time to figure out what was causing this, but once I did and stopped eating/drinking artificial sweetners, it went away. My dr had been testing me for diabetes, FM, lupus etc.

Stevia is a sweetner with no calories that is OK to consume. I've read that soon some diet sodas and iced teas will have stevia.
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

info! i should have realized This! i do use some artificial sweeteners in my coffee in the am (2 cups) and try not to go overboard!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Didn't know it was bad on the Central N system, Thanks,,,,,,,,S
  8. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Very bad for you, according to the chiropractors and acupuncturists that I've been to who have advised on diet. They actually said that regular soda would be less toxic for your body, because diet soda has so many extra chemicals in it.

Really you should try not to drink any soda's at all. Anything with high fructose corn syrup is bad for your body, and bad for your FMS pain.

I would advise going cold turkey off the sugar. Once you've been off it for a week or two, you'll stop craving it, and it actually won't taste as good if you try it again. The chemicals they put in these sugary things actually make you crave them, so it really can be an addiction.
  9. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Some natural options are stevia and xylitol. Honey's tasty in coffee too. Honey is a sugar, but it isn't refined into a drug.

Do you know how aspartame was invented? It was originally a potential ulcer drug. The scientist noticed that it tasted sweet, and there you go. No need for clinical trials if it's a food. Ugh.

If you're sensitive to aspartame, you should try to avoid MSG as well. They're chemicaly related, both being in the excitotoxin group. (That's right, exitoTOXIN.)MSG comes under about 30 different names on food labels. It's even in some vitamins. The effect is cumulative. has a good list of all the other names, and a lot of info about MSG besides.

(( ))
  10. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I've been using stevia for quite some time now, and i would never go back to anything else.

I love my stevia! and because it's so powerful sweet only a tiny bit is needed in tea and coffee and it last forever!! I bought 3 big bottles from puritan pride way last summer and still on my first bottle.

Soda is the last thing us inactive people need, regular or diet. I use to love cherry coke! Soda's are incredible hard on the bones, and leach calcium away.

Now that i stopped drinking pop and take an occasional sip from hubby's, i think it's yucky now!!
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

Again for all the input! and Info from everyone! I'm sold on Stevia ! Ordering some soon! Mollasses is also something i use in place of Honey when i can't afford Honey!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,No wonder people get addicted to pop! i Mean you'd think that one here and there wouldn't Hurt but Then you just wan't more! at least i Do! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So again i realize that even one will do it to you!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  12. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I remember that if you dumped a can of soda on a car, it would diminish the paint finish...

Also, today's local news paper announced that acrylamide was present in foods that are starchy and cooked at high heat, such as french fries, potato chips and even cheerios (in a low level tho, supposed to be safer than the others). This article went onto mention that soda contains BENZENE!!!

Acrylamide and Benzene are known carcinogens, ENOUGH SAID...

I haven't had soda in years and lately only drink filtered well water and black coffee with a tad of real sugar...I may try stevia soon but being I changed my entire diet now, even the slightest pinch of sugar or spice lights up my tastebuds...It's been a godsend to get so sick that I changed my every way of living and what a difference its made...And it's easy when you realize the old saying is entirely true, "We are what we eat".

Hope you have the willpower to stay away from the soda and substitute something healthy...Good luck