Diet..What are we supposed to eat?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheshi16, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Sheshi16

Sheshi16 New Member

I have been searching for detailed information on what we are and are not supposed to eat. I really ahven't had any luck at all. Anyone know where to find the info or have any personal suggestions?

Thanks
    Shelli
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Now, even though I don't follow this to the letter, I do know we should not eat sugar and caffeine. The more natural the food, the better. Processed food is very bad for you and anything with too much artificial ingredients. I'm trying to stay away from wheat products too. Soda is bad also. A lot of people with FMS have reactive hypoglycemia, so it's better to eat small meals throughout the day. I try to eat protein with every meal and balance protein and carbs. I'm sure other people here have other suggestions too.]

Annette2
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many do better on the Atkins, Syndrome, or Suzanne Somers diets. I have lost 24 pounds on the Somers diet and feel better. My blood pressure and lipids have come back down to normal too.

Avoid white flour, white rice, sugar in all its forms, and white potatoes. Also avoid processed foods, caffeine, Neutrasweet (aspertame), and tobacco.

Love, Mikie
  4. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

I tried the Dr. Atkins diet for about a week. I am a carbo junkie but I try and limit myself where I can. Well after about a week on the atkins diet I went into ketosis and things looked like they were going great well the next night when I went to sleep I woke up with cramps in both of my legs, I thought I was never going to get them to ease up. Well I finally went back to sleep and the next day I felt worse that I had in years. I was so exhausted more so than just with the fibro flares. I could barely move. I continued with the diet for a few more days until I could take no more. For me it was just to much exhaustion added on to the all ready exhausted body of mine. I know of several people it has worked great for but it just wasnt for me. Now try to incorporate protien and carbs into my diet. Carbs gives you energy and the protien builds muscle. As with anything in excess there will be weight gain and carbs the body doesnt burn is converted into insulin which is why we gain when we eat junk food. I was also worried about all the cholesterol (sp) when I was on the atkins diet as well. Like I said it works for some but I just had no energy at all. Best of luck to you!

Hugs,
    Jeanna
  5. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Hi Shelli,
    I try to eat less carbs than protien w/fruits & veggies for my carbs & lots of protien(mostly chicken, then fish, pork, red meat, tofu). When I am PMSing tho, I cheat. Or sometimes in a flare I cheat & then it's Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake ice cream & pop tarts & veggie chips!Lately I have been very BAD-LOL!
    ***Pixie***
  6. ssfromsc

ssfromsc New Member

After eating whatever I wanted for the past 15 yrs. a friend recommended the eating plan that eliminates MSG and aspartame especially and other excitotoxins as well. It is available on the web but I don't know the URL I typed in "debbie hypes AND diet" under Google and the booklet came up to print out. It's not a fun diet as it is quite restrictive, but after 6 weeks, I'm nearly pain-free and have 100ore energy.