Difference between CFIDS and FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mindyandy420, Jun 17, 2008.

1. mindyandy420

mindyandy420 New Member

Can somebody please explain what the major differences is between CFIDS & FM? I do understand for most it goes hand and hand but I dont believe I have the tender points.

My muscles ache from time to time and sometimes they really hurt but it is not an ongoing thing.

ALEESLP New Member

I know that many who have CFIDS have FM but there is a small subset [according to my CFS doc] that just have CFS. I fall into that category. I have had chronic mono with swollen glands, fatigue, sleep problems, brain fogginess,low grade temps, and muscle aches but I do not have enough tender triggerpoints for a diagnosis of FM.

My muscle aches feel more like flu aches than pain and I they are all over.

I am getting some better from my Valcyte treatment and am back at work.

Take care,
  3. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Dear mindyandy,

From what I have read, and from what I have been told by medical professionals - the major difference is this:

FM patients major complaint/symptom is PAIN

CFS patients major complaint/symptom is FATIGUE

FM patient will test positive for at least 11 out of the 18 tender points, while CFS patients have a more "overall" pain (like the flu). Many CFS patients say they can sleep at the drop of a hat - while FM patients have a hard time with REM or deep sleep. FM patients seem to go in and out of "flares" while CFS patients have a more constant feeling of fatigue and pain. CFS patients are more likely to run fevers, catch viruses and colds and require antibotics more frequently.

Again...this is just what I have learned based upon my own experiences.