Difference between CFS/FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Jun 19, 2006.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

I Thought I had FMS. Tender points in my neck, shoulders, hips, and sides, back. I also have fatigue, bad allergies, chest pain on and off. How do you know if you have CFS or FMS? ALso what do they come from? THe only thing I can think of is that I was under extreme stress for a while and It seemed like fibro developed but got worse over time. Does stress trigger this???? I don't take anything for the pain as it only hurts when I touch it but my neck is stiff all of the time. I have chest pain too which is uncomfortable. Is this normal???

Please help, Thanks KRis
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Kris ~ Mind you, this in just my opinion, but I don't think we can separate CFS and FM. I think, if you have one, you have the other, just to a different degree. For me that was proven out not long ago when I went off an SSRI too fast and was blanketed with incredible pain. Every trigger point was also on fire whereas before I had fatigue and mild pain, a sort of arthritis-y kind of pain that I could tolerate well with some Tylenol every now and then. I also had increased fatigue, a totally crazy mind plus all of the other symptoms associated with both. It was an "adventure" I hope never to repeat.

Anyway, I think it's all a matter of our own bodies handling things differently. That includes how we handle or internalize stress which is, again in my opinion, THE greatest contributor to our illness.

Marta
  3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I'm pretty sure that they are not the same. Dr. Lapp has me diagnosed with both.

I understand that the cognitive problems associated with CFIDS are only characteristic of CFIDS patients. These are evaluated by a psychiatrist using mutliple nuero psychological tests. We (CFIDS sufferers) fail certain tests and we pass others.

Also, the sore throat and the post excertional malaise are CFIDS symptoms. These indicate an immune system response and/or a viral component, ergo the ID (Immune Disfunction) in CFIDS.

I'm pretty sure this is how they diagnose them.

I have mostly CFIDS symtoms at this time. My fibro calmed down years ago and mostly hurts when trigger points are touched. And those are extremely sensitive.

Hugs ... Marcia