Difference between Effexor & Wellbutrin??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Dec 13, 2005.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Apparently these two are chemically similar...elevating serotonin, dopamine & norep.

Curious if anyone has tried both & what results you got.

Thanks for any info.....

LIGHT***********carole
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Wellbutrin increases dopamine while Effexor increases the other two. So, they are different as I understand. I took Wellbutrin some time ago and it was not good for me. I have been on Effexor for almost 3 years now, and it has been the best I've tried.

The problem with Effexor is getting off it, but I think I will give it a try this spring if I make it through the winter w/o a major depressive episode. It does help with pain as I understand, but I have been on antidepressants for 8+years now and I'd like to see how I would be without them.

So...guess that's my story! (-:

Are you considering one or the other?

Sue
  3. kalaya

kalaya New Member

I have only tried Wellbutrin so cannot speak intelligently about Effexor but I do know that they are not the same.One differance very likely is that you would lose weight using Wellbutrin and gain weight on the Effexor.
    I also have seen posts by people who used Effexor who said getting off the stuff was a torture chamber.
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I have tried effexor in the past, and it upset my stomach way too much, but gave me great energy.

The only one I have not tried is Wellbutrin, and since I'm both GABA & Dopamine deficient, it just may help me til I balance out my brain chemistry.

Another "trial 'n error"..........good news is that I dilute the smallest dose after cutting it into quarters. My body "knows" if it can handle it, so the suffering is not so severe.

Here we go............

LIGHT*******carole
  5. zerped

zerped New Member

As others have mentioned, I hav experienced the two very diferently. After taking Wellbutrin for a year, my doctor switched me to Effexor, to see if it did any better/worse. I seemed to feel a bit "edgier" on Effexor; like one cup of coffee too many. Got some of the benefit of Wellbutrin, but there wasn't any benefit from Effexor that I didn't get more of with the Welbutrin. Finally, a problem I (a male) don't have with Wellbutrin that I got from Effexor is what a friend of my calls, "Trying to fit a marshmallow into a parking meter." lol
  6. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

I have taken this drug and it had weird side effects for me.I had problems driving , seemed like i was being pulled left..lol like i was drunk or something, didnt like the feeling of that med. On the other hand effexor has help me alot with no side effects...=) HOPE THIS HELPS

I take 75 mg never needed this before this dd
    [This Message was Edited on 12/14/2005]
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

They work on completely different neurotransmitters. I've seen some sites lump Wellbutrin in as an SSRI, but it's just totally wrong info.

Wellbutrin works on dopamine, it is in a class all it's own because of this. It tends to be considered a weaker a.d., but is far less prone to side effects, esp. sexual side effects. I've been on it 6 yrs. It gives me energy, and has worked and energized me since the second day I was on it. I have reduced my dose and had to do it slowly, because of fatigue, but it was the only side effect of reducing. I do stay thin on it, but usually am. My most common side effect from many meds is appetite loss and weight loss.

You DO NOT have the option of cutting Wellbutrin to start on tiny doses. It only comes in 2 strengths and is coated and time released. Cutting can dump too much in your system and cause seizures. Because Wellbutrin works on dopamine, it has that in common w/ Mirapex, which is an antiseizure med. Mirapex is not an a.d. though, it's started as a Parkinson's med, and is used for RLS now too.

I've tried Effexor, which I believe is an SNRI, the SN standing for it works on serotonin and norepinephrine. Anything that tampers w/ my serotonin gives immediate horrible side effects, I'm drunk, dizzy, nauseaus, can't see straight. I tried Zoloft and Paxil, same thing.

Jeanne
  8. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Wellbutrin effects dopamine and norepinephrine.

Effexor is a serotonin uptake disruptor.

They work entirely differently.

A friend of mine was placed on Wellbutrin and she said it didn't help her but MADE HER SO ANGRY SHE WANTED TO SLIT THROATS. THAT CAN BE ONE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS.

HOWEVER, WELLBUTRIN DOESN'T CRAMP YOUR SEX DRIVE AND THE SSRI'S, LIKE EFFEXOR DO.

I am on Effexor, have been for years, and it IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OFF THE STUFF WITHOUT GOING INTO A SERIOUS WITHDRAWAL. The half life is really short and trying to taper off if not very successful.

IT HAS CAUSED ME TO GAIN TEN OR MORE POUNDS EVERY YEAR I HAVE BEEN ON THE STUFF. I HAVE SPOKEN AT LENGTH WITH OTHERS WHO HAVE BEEN ON IT AND THEY CONCUR.

ONE PERSON I KNOW FINALLY GOT OFF THE STUFF, AFTER BEING TORTURED BY COMING OFF AND SHE LOST 50 POUNDS IN SIX MONTHS WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING ELSE.

My psychotherapist told me he has a fellow in his practice who is seeing him foro depression and morbid obesity and the guy has gained 150 pounds over the year and half he has been on Effexor. When I mentioned wanting to get off the stuff and why, he perked up and said HE WASN'T AWARE THAT IT CAN CAUSE THAT KIND OF WEIGHT GAIN.

I told him LISTEN TO THE PATIENTS, NOT THE SHRINKS.

He suggested to the guy that he try something different, he got off, once again with trouble, and has lost 24 pounds in two months without changing his eating habits or activity.

I TOLD MY SHRINK I WANT A CUT ON THAT CONSULT.