difference between muscle + bone pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cureforpain, Aug 24, 2003.

1. cureforpain

cureforpain New Member

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out whether I'm experiencing generalized deep dull muscle or bone aches. When at its worst, it's relentlessly gnawing feeling. Has anybody had an opportunity to experience both and therefore know how to tell the difference between the two?

So far I've had it explained away as muscle aches by doctors as just part of CFS, but it has gotten significantly worse over the last 5 years and is now a daily part of my life. If it is actually bone pain, some more medical tests might be warranted. I understand it could also be more confusing, because ligament pain can be confused for bone pain.

Any thoughts or personal experiences appreciated.

Erica
  2. sumbuni

sumbuni New Member

I have had it explained to me that "bones don't have pain" only the nerves around them...for what that's worth! If I were in your shoes...and I had that kind of pain that is progressively getting worse, I don't think I'd care whether it is muscle pain or "bone pain", I'd be seeing me a doc. Don't mean to scare you, but Bone Cancer causes a whole lot of pain! If you have it checked, and it's not in your leg but only in your head (sarcasim) then ok, but if you don't have it checked and it is something serious...get my drift?

Go have it checked out...peace of mind is worth every penny you spend finding out!

In my prayers, Girl!

God Bless!

Sumbuni
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Gary has Osteopenia and I Osteoporosis. Good news there is medication like Fosomax to stop bone loss and to increase bone density again. Since we started treatment the pain is almost totally gone in the bones. They weren't going to check us but, I insisted. They said that because we are in our 40's it wasn't nessisary. Glad I pushed. Also hormone levels should be taken for both men and women a base line around 40. Gary's was so low and they said due to his lack of Testosterone he ended up with Osteopenia and if we had waited till he was 50 he would have been in trouble with probable bone breakage. Good luck and hope this helps some, Kim and Gary
  4. cureforpain

cureforpain New Member

Hi, so great to talk to a chiropractor about this! :)

The sacroiliac joints and the ligaments on either side of my tailbone were identified by a couple of doctors as being painful to the touch and describes the general area of my biggest ache- at this point, my lower back on either side of the tailbone. The ache extends into my tailbone, but it is not tender to the touch. Anywhere above my tailbone does not hurt at all. I fail the common "back pain tests" of twisting and raising the leg. That doesn't bother me at all.
    Also more likely to ache elsewhere in arms and legs when tailbone area is aggravated.
    Do you know which tendons would be sending pain there? If it's something simple I'm going to kick myself for putting up with the pain for 3 1/2 years! LOL

Thanks!

Erica
  5. trasestry

trasestry New Member

html, I was wondering, do you know where the trigger points would be for pain...feels like bone pain, front part of legs. The sometimes feel as if they are bruised, to touch certain points along the bone. If I could just get rid of this pain...I would be much happier.
    thanks, Tracy
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Should always be checked out just to be totally safe. We cannot afford to assume all our symptoms are caused by these illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  7. cureforpain

cureforpain New Member

Thanks for your thoughts htmv,

I can get out of a low chair. Was looking at some websites about SIJ dysfunction earlier in the week, and noticed that I don't have the "wobbly pelvis" sensation that is frequently mentioned.

I'll hunt down a wide belt anyway, to try it out. It sounds very restful.

My abdominal and pelvic floor muscles *are* really week, and I've started to exercise them every day. Going really slowly though.

I've been racking my brains for anything else that has changed over the last few years that might be connected.

Looks like a great website!

Erica
  8. trasestry

trasestry New Member

I am going to check out the sites..surf the web. I never thought of a tendintis sp? good luck , Tracy