Different kinds of Chiropractors?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scrappnmom, Jun 28, 2008.

1. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

I've been seeing a great chiropractor for several years. And he has really helped me. But, the last few months it seems like my pain is worse and I sometimes hurt for several days after he works on me. Maybe my body is getting more sensitive to his adjustments. Anyway, a friend told me I should go see another chiro who she knows that doesn't do the manual manipulations. So, I thought I'd just go try him and see if there is a difference. He only does adjustments with an "activator" which just taps on the areas he needs to work on. He did do xrays on me that showed my axis tilted down and crowding the next vertabra. He sais that could bethe reason I have seizures. It also showed 3 bulging discs in my lower back which would explain my lower back pain. His way of thinking is that if you get your spine in line it can heal all the body's illnesses. He also says that his type of adjustments moves my vertebra further than a regular chiropractor. All he says sounds good. But...

Here is my question. Have any of you gone to a chiropractor who doesn't do manual manipulations? Did you find this better than the manual manipulations? My other chiro made me feel so good with his adjustments and he did the therapy on me afterward using the electrodes, which I think is awesome! It relaxed me so much. Have any of you had better results from the other kind of chiro that only adjusts with an activator? I'm just not sure what to do and I don't want to lose my other chiro if he can make me feel better. But, his xrays never showed the problems that this new one did. ???? Any suggestions?
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You said: "His way of thinking is that if you get your spine in line it can heal all the body's illnesses. "

All chiros think that way and they may be right. I completely believe that our bodies can heal themselves given the right tools.

I've had an activator used on me but always feel better after a manual adjustment. I do think our bodies change and different things should be tried. I suggest you go with your instincts as to what helps you the most. On the other hand, I sometimes see an old DO who does adjustments and says, if they're done right, they only need to be done once.

Did you personally see and can you read the xrays the new guy did? Again, use your instincts - and if all else fails try a third one to break the tie. Really good chiros are worth keeping but there are shysters in the field too.

Good luck!
  3. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Thanks Marta! He showed me my xrays and I could see exactly what he was talking about. He showed me normal xrays and also my own. And explained what he was showing me. He also did some kind of spinal scan which showed misalignment in my upper back and the lower back. So, I don't think he was lying to me. I guess maybe I should have added another question. Can the regular manual adjustments be as useful in correcting the misalignments as the other kind, which only uses the activator tool?

I don't know why I am so confused about this? I kind of feel like I'm leaving my best friend!
  4. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Scrappnmom,

I would encourage to look into the area of upper cervical (atlas) alignment. The following website provides you with some good information and a video describing this specialized kind of chiropractic.

<a href="http://www.nucca.org">National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association</a>.

The next website was started by a man who achieved tremendous relief from upper cervical chiropractic and is doing his best to spread the word about its benefits.

<a href="http://www.upcspine.com/intro.htm">Greg Buchanan's Remarkable Website on Upper Cervical Chiropractic</a>.

I got good relief from upper cervical chiropractic, but ended up getting even better results from a one-time atlas alignment called Atlas Profilax. My most recent thread I posted on this board with a number of links to some of my other AP threads can be accessed from the following link:

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=1285080&B=FM#1285080">Atlas Profilax Threads on this Message Board</a>

When I got my own AP alignment almost a year ago, my lower back immediately felt stabilized and most of my lower back pain and sciata subsided over the ensuing months as my whole spinal column seemed to decompress.

Best to you in finding a good solution for yourself.

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2008]
  5. Didoe

Didoe New Member

When I first damaged 2 discs on the job, I searched for a chiro and knowing nothing, went to the first one who answered his phone. He used electrical current, 2 months of wasted time,money and unresolved pain.

Found the next chiro, still out for same injury, who did manual adjustments and he was very aggressive in treatment; 3x a week and he was physically very strong.
    No matter what anyone sez, I've found in using chiros that a strong powerful person is necessary, featherweights can't manipulate the same way.

I needed someone more recently. This one was using a very strong vibrating machine which caused alot of pain and he folowed with very brief manual adjustments, My entire session was never more than 5 minutes. I asked him to cut out the machine, but being the young arrogant chiro that he was, he lowered it's strength and kept using it, I would need 2-3 days to recover from the banging around and so terminated the sessions.

But no matter what style of chiro I used, they all said its a lifestyle and you always need to be adjusted, even if its only 1x every 2 weeks after getting on track.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would really be interested in accupunture but alas my insurance will not cover it.

How frustrating as I know that some insurance carriers do cover this.

7. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

A local MD is doing acupuncture which is covered by Medicare as it's done by an MD. Perhaps other insurance would also cover acupuncture if done by an MD.

8. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

actually my chiro does that often to me and I don't like it and it hasn't helped me. In fact, there is aparticular area on the left side of my lower back that gives me a lot of trouble and since he started doing the accupuncture on that spot, I think it hurts more! Some may have better luck with it than I have though. Thanks for all the responses.

Wayne after reading some of the sites you sent I am really thinking that I should try this out. One thing that I do remember from my childhood, was when I was in the 1st grade and fell off of the top of a big slide at school. I believe I fell on my head. Although I wasn't seriously hurt there is not much telling what it damaged in there. Then when I was about 10 or 11 years old I started having seizures. It really makes me wonder now if this is related. Somehow I think it probably is. And now I have chronic back pain and fibromyalgia.

Any other suggestions or comments?