different song, same tune

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shannonsparkles, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Does anyone know if "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" and "Tu-ral-lur-a-lur-a (Irish Lullabye)" have the same tune? They sound so much alike that when I try to play one on the recorder (small flute) that I forget which one I'm playing. It sounds like "Irish Eyes" is the same tune, just played a little faster. But I don't know either one well enough to be sure.

In other news, "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star," "Bah Bah Black Sheep" and the "Alphabet Song" all have the same tune.

In 19th century America (and probably a lot of other times and places)people used to borrow the tune of an existing song and write new lyrics to it. That's why the song "O Kansas Land" has the same tune as "O Christmas Tree." Recently I found a song called "London-Derry Air" with the same tune as "Danny Boy." (Say "London-Derry Air" out loud. You might laugh.) I can play both. ;)

Anyone know other songs that share the same tune?
    ((tone deaf for tonight)) Shannon :)
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

So I'll try to sing a little of them for you.

Do Your Ears hang low,
    Do they wobble to and fro?
    Can You tie them in a knot,
    Can You tie them in a bow?
    Can you throw them 'or your shoulder
    Like a Continental Soldier?
    Do Your ears hang low?

Now to the same tune,,,,

Oh, my mammy had a chicken
    And it wouldn't lay and egg.
    So she rubbed hot whiskey
    Up and down his leg.
    And he weebled and he wobbled
    All his life long days.
    And the gosh darn chicken
    Layed a hard boiled egg.
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Isn't the song "Greensleaves" also a Christmas Hymn. I can hum it, but cannot think of the words....

4. Callum

Callum New Member

Yes, "Greensleeves" is "What Child Is This" with different words.

"My Country 'Tis of Thee" is to the music of "God Save the King/Queen"

"The Star Spangled Banner" was actually a drinking song, with the words of the Scott Key poem replacing, I'm sure, more colorful words...

"The Battle Hymn of The Republic" was originally another marching & drinking song, one version being "John Brown's Body Lies a'Moulderin' in the Grave."

There's a Barry Manilow song that is taken from, I think, either Beethhoven or Rochmoninoff (spelling) - is it "Could it Be Magic?"

I'm sure there are many others...

5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you! It was driving me 'nuts', not remembering what the song title was! More so than usual! LOL

Also, I appreciate your information about the other music. I find posts like this, very interesting.

I believe you are in Chicago. If so, did you get blasted with the winter storm?

Again, thank you!

6. Callum

Callum New Member

Kinda slammed, but not near as slammed as they were predicting. I think we have about 4-5 inches on the ground. Really heavy stuff.

How about you in Indiana? I know the west side of the state usually gets a LOT more snow than us.

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I think it's really cool that the American national anthem took its melody from a German beer drinking song.

Elvis Presley's "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You" has the same melody as "Plaisir D'Amour" (The Pleasure of Love), dating from the 18th century.

Billy Joel also wrote a neat song called "This Night," using one of Beethoven's sonatas, the "Pathetique."
  8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

We are lucky! So far!

No snow, some sleet, 'slickery' roads. Most of the snow seems to go to the west of us, or further north. We live in NE Indiana. We have a lake place around Warsaw which is off 30 West. I believe we got hit up there. I need to see if our answering machine picks up, to check the power! LOL

Take care! Needless to say, this is NOT my favorite time of the year!

9. Callum

Callum New Member

Another Elvis song - "Love Me Tender", is set to the music of "Aura Lee."

Kim - I'm glad you're not having to shovel out. Yet.

10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

radio days there was a program that discussed this phenomenom. I never heard it; only heard about it.

Used to be pretty common for pop song writers and movie score composers to borrow tunes from classical music. Nelson Eddy and Jan Peerce put out records of borrowed tunes.

Yes, Love Me Tender/Aura Lee was a Civil War Song. So was Maryland, My Maryland, set to the tune of O Tannenbaum or O Christmas Tree. Other Civil War tunes used Irish melodies such as When Johnny Comes marching Home,The Bonnie Blue Flag.

The Eyes of Texas is the same tune as I've Been working on the Railroad.

Most folk tunes have been used over and over w/ different sets of words. Rosin the Bow is a folk tune that was used an an Abe Lincoln campaign song and as a temprance song.

Couple decades ago an English opera singer named Benjamin Luxon put out a disc of songs from the UK and the subsequent American version. Tunes included Streets of Larado.

I don't think When Irish Eyes and Tur ra Lur rah have the same tune, Shannon, altho they might when you play them. Haha.

Many melodies have been borrowed for hymns. The hymnal I used to play from had the hymn Stand Up for Jesus set to 3 different melodies.

Battle Hymn of the Republic was set to the tune of an old Methodist hymn by William Steffe.

11. Shannonsparkles

It's been fun reading about more of these.

Rocky, yes, I do get a mix when I play those Irish songs. I hope I'll get to listen to one or the other sometime so I can tell them apart. :)

(( )) Shannon
  12. sues1

sues1 New Member

I was checking and found your last posting. I was wondering where you were. Miss your postings. I really enjoy them all.
    I thought if I went to this posting you made, it would appear in your regular email, this posting here.
    Hope all is well and you are just caught up with the holidays and all..........Blessing.......Susan
  13. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Streets of Larado I use to really like that song cant say I've heard it for years.I can't remember the words.I have so much trouble with my memories at times.

My Grandmothers favorite song was love me tender.
  14. Shannonsparkles

Thanks for keeping me in mind. :) I think I've been feeling poorly sicne winter got going... but with my memory, I can't be sure! I just do what I can and take it as it comes.

I really like your bio picture!

(( )) Shannon
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2006]