Different Strokes For Different Folks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This was in Jaimy's thread and I didn't want it to get lost so am reiterating here.

Whether one works or one cannot, whether one takes prescriptions or one uses herbal preparations, whether one walks four miles a day verses one who can only walk for five minutes, it doesn't mean there needs to be an "us-versus-them" split among us. We are here to support one another.

There are times when we bottom out from the sheer frustration and exhaustion and need to vent. That doesn't mean we are indulging in self-pity. The person indugling in self-pity is the one who does nothing to help him- or herself and sits around feeling sorry for himself or herself all the time. I don't think we have many of that type here. Most of us are warriors, fighting an invisible enemy with unproven weapons on a battleground which keeps changing the rules. That makes each and every one of us heroes or heroines.

My point has always been that we do need to take responsibility for our own healing and not rely soley on docs and their prescriptions; the key word here being, solely. Of course, we need our docs and medications, but we also need a healthy balance of laughter and joy, a nutritious diet, and exercise at whatever level can be tolerated.

Is this a guarantee to make us feel better? Heavens, no. We may go into a flare and feel worse, but giving up and giving in to unhealthy habits is guaranteed to make us feel worse. Maybe not today, but it will catch up with us eventually. Making excuses for indulging in unhealthy habits because we are sick is a form of denial. When we are sick is the worst time to be lying around doing nothing and filling up on sugary foods which will promote insulin resistance and all it's attending illnesses, including diabetes. It will also worsen our depression.

When we are down and out, we need to be sure we are taking our supplements and maintaining our flexibility and strength with stetches and flexes, gentle exercises which can be done in bed. A good physical therapist can teach these exercises and they should be made part of the healthy lifestyle.

Believing we can heal is half the battle, but when we are in a flare, it tests our faith. As I said above, just keep on keepin' on; in the end, it will pay off. Anyone who is depressed needs to find a good therapist who can help with therapy and meds, if needed. Depression, especially clinical depression, needs to be dealt with.

The point is that there are lots of things we can try, none guaranteed to work, and what works for you may not work for me. That doesn't mean I will lose all hope. Right now, I'm in an awful flare, but I know that this will pass and I'm doing everything in my power to heal. I continue to pray for all of us for healing and a cure.

Love, Mikie

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This was in Jaimy's thread and I didn't want it to get lost so am reiterating here.

Whether one works or one cannot, whether one takes prescriptions or one uses herbal preparations, whether one walks four miles a day verses one who can only walk for five minutes, it doesn't mean there needs to be an "us-versus-them" split among us. We are here to support one another.

There are times when we bottom out from the sheer frustration and exhaustion and need to vent. That doesn't mean we are indulging in self-pity. The person indugling in self-pity is the one who does nothing to help him- or herself and sits around feeling sorry for himself or herself all the time. I don't think we have many of that type here. Most of us are warriors, fighting an invisible enemy with unproven weapons on a battleground which keeps changing the rules. That makes each and every one of us heroes or heroines.

My point has always been that we do need to take responsibility for our own healing and not rely soley on docs and their prescriptions; the key word here being, solely. Of course, we need our docs and medications, but we also need a healthy balance of laughter and joy, a nutritious diet, and exercise at whatever level can be tolerated.

Is this a guarantee to make us feel better? Heavens, no. We may go into a flare and feel worse, but giving up and giving in to unhealthy habits is guaranteed to make us feel worse. Maybe not today, but it will catch up with us eventually. Making excuses for indulging in unhealthy habits because we are sick is a form of denial. When we are sick is the worst time to be lying around doing nothing and filling up on sugary foods which will promote insulin resistance and all it's attending illnesses, including diabetes. It will also worsen our depression.

When we are down and out, we need to be sure we are taking our supplements and maintaining our flexibility and strength with stetches and flexes, gentle exercises which can be done in bed. A good physical therapist can teach these exercises and they should be made part of the healthy lifestyle.

Believing we can heal is half the battle, but when we are in a flare, it tests our faith. As I said above, just keep on keepin' on; in the end, it will pay off. Anyone who is depressed needs to find a good therapist who can help with therapy and meds, if needed. Depression, especially clinical depression, needs to be dealt with.

The point is that there are lots of things we can try, none guaranteed to work, and what works for you may not work for me. That doesn't mean I will lose all hope. Right now, I'm in an awful flare, but I know that this will pass and I'm doing everything in my power to heal. I continue to pray for all of us for healing and a cure.

Love, Mikie

3. LynneH

LynneH New Member

You said it very well, Mikie!!! I didn't read the post that seems to have generated this but that is okay.
    We all need to be responisble for doing everything we can to feel better, and trying to remain positive is a big factor.
    Hope you feel better...I also have been in a long flare, and just keep on keepin on. :)
    LynneH
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2002]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I like that phrase, "Keep on keepin' on!" It describes so well what we all do through remissions, flares, the pitts, etc. When we can see no way out, maybe by saing, "I'm just going to keep on keepin' on, it will sustain us til the dawn. I hope you are feeling better.

Love, Mikie
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

It is a comfort to come here, this is my third year if you can believe that, and see little to no contention!

It is true what you say about differing treatments for symptoms...that is all we can do until a bonafide' treatment or cure is effected; and I have noticed that a certain med may work to treat a symptom for a good while then becomes ineffective. I have also learned that my body does not react whatsoever as it did before I came in contact with whatever caused my FMS/CPS.

I too have been in a major, the first of this magnitude, since coming down with this; when I tried to come on some months or weeks or whenever, the fighting was so horrific I just zoned off for a while.......what a pleasant surprise to return to a place of comfort. Love CactusLil'
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Shirl deserves credit for cleaning up the mess on the board. Also, our wonderful members who want a reasonable and peaceful place deserve credit for watching our for one another and being the kind of people we can call friends.

Love, Mikie