Different types of magnesium?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RedB, May 16, 2003.

1. RedB

RedB New Member

I've seen Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Malate, and some other magnesium that escapes me at the moment.

Can someone tell me what type of magnesium we are supposed to be taking?

Kathy
  2. mje

mje New Member

I did try 2 types of Magnesium before the Magnesium Glycinate. A Magnesium Malate and one other just bothered my intestinal tract, but the Magm Glycinate has not,even taken daily. The Pro Health name is Magnesium Plus.
    I have not been taking it for very long, but many articles say it is important for our sore muscles. Time will tell.
    Good luck. MJE
  3. kgg

kgg New Member

easiest on your stomach and bowels. It is also supposedly the one best absorbed. Magnesium can cause you to have loose stools, which is good is you tend to be constipated. Magnesium malate or magnesium and malic acid together supposedly helps with muscle pain. I personally can't tolerate any magnesium and have started taking magnesium shots. Hopes this helps. -Karen
  4. Yolapa

Yolapa New Member

I don't know what would cause the least irritation, but as far as absorbability, oxide is the worst, and I understand malate and citrate to be acceptable chelates.
  5. sunnysideliving

sunnysideliving New Member

It contains three types of magnesium"
    Magnesium carbonate
    Magnesium hydroxide
    Magnesium acetate

I have no problem to take it, no diarrhea.

BTW, could someone tell how these magnesiums are related to the listed above? (stearate, malate, etc)

Sunny
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I ordered the Magnesium Glycinate from this site, too. I am one for whom too much magnesium causes diarrhea. That tendency may be great for those who lean toward constipation, but I don't! So I was never able to take a decent amount of magnesium.

So far, I'm up to 400 mg a day (my doc recommends 600-700), but I couldn't even get that far on other types of magnesium!

And I think it's recommended to separate taking magnesium from calcium (even though you often find them packaged together), so I take them a few hours apart.

Good luck!

Pam
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

Years ago I was found to have low red blood cell magnesium.

Had intramuscular injections for a while but my doc stopped those on the NHS because they didn't provide an instant cure.

Have taken wide variety of forms, now using glyconate and ZMA.

I do suffer from diarrhea a lot but taking magnesium has not made things any worse. Diarrhea used to be used as an indication that you had taken too much. If this is still the case then people are perhaps using it as a therapeutic agent rather than to correct a deficiency.

Cheers

Tansy
  8. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

This is from Mark London's paper, with url's removed and edited for context:

Bones are not only formed from calcium and phosphate, but also from magnesium. Without magnesium, the resulting formations will be soft. Teeth will have soft enamel, nails will be brittle.

Magnesium is extremely necessary for proper ATP synthesis, because ATP is stored in the body as a combination of magnesium and ATP, which is known as MgATP. ATP requires magnesium in order to be stable. Without magnesium, ATP would easily break down into other components, ADP and inorganic phosphate.

Magnesium deficiency is very common in the general US population. Not only is our daily intake low, but we eat a diet which increases the demand for magnesium. And unfortunately, urinary magnesium loss can be increased by many factors, both physical and emotional. Magnesium loss increases in the presence of certain hormones. Stress can greatly increase magnesium loss. Even loud noises can cause extra magnesium loss. One article on the web goes so far as to say that that almost everyone is the United States is at least marginally deficient in magnesium. So there is an excellent chance that a person with fibromyalgia has a magnesium deficiency. But since people with fibromyalgia often have high levels of stress, and a disrupted hormonal system, they are more likely to be candidates for magnesium deficiency. Plus, sleep deprivation has been shown to cause lower magnesium levels:

(cited url removed)

Magnesium is known to regulate or inhibit many nerve receptors, such as NMDA or 5-HT3, which have been considered as sources of certain types of fibromyalgia pain. Neurontin, for example, is used because of it's ability to regulate NMDA. Since magnesium also blocks NMDA receptors, studies have used intravenous magnesium therapy to try and treat similar types of neuropathic pain:

(cited url removed)

And it's because of magnesium's ability to regulate nerve functions that other fibromyalgia symptoms occur. Migraine headaches, mitral valve prolapse, and Raynaud's phenomenon, all problems commonly found in people with fibromyalgia, are also problems that have been associated with a magnesium deficiency. Without enough magnesium, nerves fire too easily from even minor stimuli. Noises will sound excessively loud, lights will seem too bright, emotional reactions will be exaggerated, and the brain will be too stimulated to sleep, all symptoms commonly found in fibromyalgia. And if the oversensitivity to light and noise reminds you of someone suffering from a hangover, they are one and the same problem, as alcohol is known for decreasing magnesium levels, and magnesium supplementation has been found to relieve hangover symptoms.

A magnesium deficiency also increases levels of substance P, a chemical which has been implicated as being responsible for increased pain levels in FMS. Several studies, such as the following, show this:

(cited url removed)

And also of interest is that a magnesium deficiency can cause platelet aggregation;

(cited url removed)

Unfortunately, magnesium deficiency is not easily detected, as serum levels do not reflect the levels of magnesium in tissues. This is the reason why it is so overlooked and ignored, both by doctors and by studies. And unfortunately, oral magnesium supplementation can be difficult because of absorption problems. Digestion and diet play a key role in absorption. People with fibromyalgia often have conditions like Irritable Bowel System, gluten intolerance, or other problems that might limit absorption. Phosphate can bind to magnesium in the gut, creating magnesium phosphate, an insoluble salt that can't be utilized. Many forms of oral magnesium supplements are hard to assimilate. The most common, magnesium oxide and citrate, happen to be the worst to assimilate, which is why both have a strong laxative effect. If you suffer from that effect when you take magnesium, it is often not because you are taking too much, but because you are not assimilating it well. And it may take long term use of supplements before magnesium levels are raised in all the tissues, and for damaged cell functions to be restored.

9. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i found the info in your post very interesting.

is it possible for you to email me with the missing URLS ? .....my email addy is in my profile.
    or is there an easy way to guess ?

just this week i have had to buy extra magnesium in the form of magnesium glycynate in order to replicate the beneficial effects i used to get from a supp.i can't obtain in UK any more.
    other types of magnesium don't seem to work for me.
    and the glycynate seems to be working.......
    i have ordered ZMA from prohealth and looking forward to trying it.
    what really blows me away is how many of us are helped by magnesium.

for years i took little notice of what i read re magnesium in books because until i came to this board i wasn't getting enough info to put the info together in my head and persevere to find out which type works.....
    that might not read and make sense but i'll leave it in in case it does. :-}
    pinkquartz

when you keep reading what helps and