Difficulty swallowing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsBrandywine, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I posted this on the Thyroid Board but I know you can have this problem with the fibro too.. so posting here too..

Do any of you have problems with swallowing?

Last week I was eating a toasted hamburger roll with seeds
    with sloppy joe mixture and was trying to do a recipie at the same time
    not paying attention to eating.. Which I don't normally do that but
    was having a busy day. I went to swallow the last bite.. which by that time it was cold and a bit hard. I had a terrible time swallowing.. then I kinda panicked .. couldnt get it back up so kept drinking water and more water.. finally thought maybe try a piece of cookie that I was making.. to make long story short.. or trying to.. my whole chest area hurts and my throat.. Im thinking that I really scratched the inside of my throat and laranyx and esaphagus area and down thru..

Have any of you have this happen before? if so.. How long did it take to heal?
    I went to the Drs yesterday.. she put me on Nexium and then to take a spoonful of Gaviscon after meals.. I hope it heals.. she said if it doesnt.. she wants me to have a barium thingie done.. Ugh.. Any helpful suggestions to help it heal faster .. I would appreciate it.. Thanks plus it doesnt help with my sinuses draining and irritating it more!.. grrr

2. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

Hi, I have had trouble swallowing since my 20s. I would drink or eat something and I would start to choke. My husband can tell you how many times I would do that; it would scare him so much. I am now 52 and I still have the problem only now it's a bit different. I will be eating and if I'm not paying attention, it will start to slide down my throat and get stuck. I would keep trying to swallow but it will not help so I would have to drink something to unlodge the food. It is a very scary feeling to have. I even do this with my own saliva sometimes.

You might have hurt your throat, so do what the doctors say. I hope it doesn't happen to you again. I think we need to concentrate when we eat.

Take care
    Pat
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I HAVE PROBLEMS SWALLOWING. IN FACT MUCH OF WHAT YOU DESCRIBED.

ITS NOT A SCRATCH BUT SPASMS ALTHO I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. FEELS LIKE SOMEONE RAKED DOWN YOUR THROAT AND CHEST.

KEY SMALL BITES CHEW WELL.

HAVE YOU EVER GONE TO TAKE A DRINK AND YOU CANT SWALLOW? ITS LIKE YOUR THROAT CLOSED OR SOMETHING AND YOU HAVE TO SPIT IT OUT?

I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL AS I HAVE POST POLIO TOO AND ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THAT IS SWALLOING.

NOT MUCH YOU CAN DO BUT MANY GET SOFT FOODS FOR AWHILE. IT FEELS LIKE A BIG BRUISE HUH?DO YOU HAVE ALOT OF MUCUS IN YOUR THROAT? MY DAD REALLY SUFFERED FROM THIS PROBLEM.

SORRY THIS IS A BIT SCATTERED HAVING SOME BRAINFOG TODAY BUT HOPE THIS HELPS.

[This Message was Edited on 10/23/2008]
  4. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have had this since the neck injury in the 1980's, which led to a dx of CFS with the mono and since then FMS with the neck pain.

All my muscles in that area are affected. I was even tongue-tied for awhile and my neck was frozen. A muscle therapist released the muscles in my mouth used for talking.

I was actually too tired to talk even.

I still will not eat chunks of meat or anything like that, esp. if I am out. Being out takes more energy to eat, too. I will stick with soft foods.

I am now able to talk more without the fatigue.
  5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have a spot in my throat that food sometimes will catch. The dr. confirmed there is some kind of abnormality there.

When I had the whiplash injury I did not see a doctor at the time, so I don't know what all was injured, just that I could not hold my head up, esp. with driving.
  6. coolma

coolma New Member

well know side effect of FM, spasms and "lazy" throat. Ceases the swallowing motion. Also, feels like a "sore throat" often...it's the spasms. Usually, a muscle relaxer helps. We need to remember the muscles spasm in our necks, in the muscles that run up and down the deck into the head, up into the face, ears, eyes, etc. Effects places we never think of.
    My best friend also has the swallowing "thing" and had all the tests done. Really, nothing worked but to ease up on stress. It is also a stress response.
  7. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I have had a lot of difficulty swallowing since diagnosed with fibro. Lately, even liquids are hard for me. I have to tell my DR but I don't think there is anything he can do to help me?