difficulty swallowing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanNH, Aug 31, 2002.

1. SusanNH

SusanNH New Member

Hello, I have been suffering from FMS for about a year and a half now, could be longer but it took awhile to figure out what "it" was. I don't like to go to the doctor for every little quirky thing, don't want her to think I am crazy. I now seem to have developed a swallowing problem. It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes, especially in the morning, when I eat something, I go to swallow and the food goes down but not very far and feels as though it is cutting off my breath. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and what you do for it. Thank you. I love reading all the posts and have learned alot from all of you. Thank you for sharing yourselves with all of us.

SusanNH
  2. SusanNH

SusanNH New Member

Hello, I have been suffering from FMS for about a year and a half now, could be longer but it took awhile to figure out what "it" was. I don't like to go to the doctor for every little quirky thing, don't want her to think I am crazy. I now seem to have developed a swallowing problem. It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes, especially in the morning, when I eat something, I go to swallow and the food goes down but not very far and feels as though it is cutting off my breath. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and what you do for it. Thank you. I love reading all the posts and have learned alot from all of you. Thank you for sharing yourselves with all of us.

SusanNH
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

If you don't get an answer cause so many are away, type in swallow or swallowing in the search messages box. There was a post on this, but it had to do more w/ dry mouth. It'll pull up old posts on this. Also, try the library & search there.

If you still can't find anything, try webmd, it has a list of symptoms you can click on. It's always a good idea to run new symptoms by your dr...and that's not crazy, it's smart!!

Welcome, the members here are great, as you said. I've found such hope from coming here. Take care & let us know how you're doing. Michele

4. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

Yep, I have the same problem. Just like you it's not all the time. But when it does happen, whether it be a pill, or food, it just sticks, not very far down my throat. The only thing I do, is grab something to drink and wash it down. I have no idea why this happens. I don't have acid reflux like so many on here do, so I know that's not the cause. I guess it's just one of those symptoms of the muscles that go along with this DD. Maybe someone else has a better explanation. Let's see what they say.

Regina
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello Susan, welcome to the board. Yes, I have the same problem with the swallowing, especially in the morning.

I don't eat anything untill I am up at least two hours. It just seems like it is sticking in my throat and I can't seem to breath right either.

I do have Acid Reflux, which I understand can cause this.

I make sure I drink something before I try to eat. I also take Nonie Juice for the Acid Reflux, and it has helped with the swallowing too.

Mine had been so bad, that manytimes we would be in a restaurant, I would take one fork full of food, and it would stick in my throat. I would quit eating and take the food home!

It is a scary feeling, and very unconfortable. I quit eating steak completely, meat and bread seem to cause this worst them soft food.

I don't know how old you are, but the doctor told me that when we get older, that our digestive juices decline, and that can also cause this to happen.

I read that if you take a small amount of vinegar (teaspoon) before you eat, that it will help this also.

So glad you found our board, and hope we hear more from you soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Welcome Susan!
    I have trouble swallowing also. Mine not only gets stuck but sometimes things go down into my windpipe too. I have hypothyroidism and the doc said that it was because my thyroid is oversized. Said the word "goiter".
    I have to be really careful! Hope you get better soon!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  7. clueless

clueless New Member

I have the same problem and have just had an endoscopy with no problems showing up. I would have sworn I had an upper hiatal hernia as that is what my husband has. Am wondering if this is`nt another of these "little blessings" we get with this disease. Let me know if you learn any thing new on this as it is a scary thing at times. My email address is homenest@webtv.net. My best to you!!!
  8. Deby

Deby New Member

I have just developed some problem with my throat that seems to only affect me when I drink coffee, not tea or juice or milk, just coffee. I take in a mouthful and it seems to get stuck in my throat along the back of it. No matter how much coughing is done, it makes no difference.
    I've only known that I've got FMS for a few months now but I've had all kinds of symptoms back as far a 12 years.
    What next? problems eating or maybe talking...oops, forgot the useless memory.
    I sat and drew today for a few hours, and during that time, I stood up probably every 10-15 minutes to do something.
    17 times I had no idea what I was even getting up for let alone why. Arrgggg!!!
    It does make life interesting. I play a game with my spouse called "How many phone messages can I forget today?" and of course I forget to write them down.

Best of luck...you've found an awesome "family" here.
    Deby
  9. herblady

herblady New Member

on and off my throat just freezes up. it's like it's paralyzed. what i do is take a drink of water, that usually gets it going again. cindi
  10. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

Hi Susan,

I occasionally have problems swallowing pills. I have to drink a lot of water with them. Sometimes even after I take them, it feels like something is still “stuck” in there. Perhaps the esophagus just got a bit aggravated.

Are you on any medications? The reason I ask is that years ago I took Doxycycline for adult-onset acne. I started having trouble with swallowing which got worse. After a month or two, the pain was excruciating. I had to go to the hospital and found that I had severe distal esophagitis (severe inflammation of the bottom of my esophagus). Apparently I wasn’t drinking enough water with it.

I was just wondering if you're on any particular medications that may have the same affect.

-Shoobie

11. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

The only think that I can suggest is please tell your DR..This can also be a symptom of other diseases/problems..When I first start seeing my rhuemy, he would always ask, do I have trouble swallowing..Yes, I sometimes do too..And it's usually only with liquid, seems like it gets stuck going down, and then I get this pain which usually goes away within a few seconds..I already had tests done with nothing showing up..Put please mention to Dr..This DD has so many symptoms, but never take for granted that they are all Fibro symptoms..Also inform the dr..Everyone is different......
    Take Care......God Bless.....Donna
  12. PAT

PAT New Member

I have had a terrible time swallowing for about a year now. First I was told it was due to a muscle relaxer I was on. I quit taking it, and still couldn't swallow. The foos AND liquids, get so stuck, and it hurts SO bad as they work their way down, Sometimes at night I can't even swallow my own saliva.Had an endoscopy done, and GI said I probably have muscle spasms in my esophagus, and didn't know what to do about it. NOW I know it's due to Vasculitis. I had an MRI to rule out MS, and they found the swollen blood vessels in my brain. I have lost 25 lbs, in the past few months because of this. So please do not ASSUME anything is just due to this FM, make sure you have each problem individually addressed by your doc. Patti G
  13. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Hello Susan & Others with Swallowing Problems -

THEY SURE CAN BE SCARY!!! NOT TO MENTION EXHAUSTING!!!
    I've had swallowing/choking problems for some 15 years.
    When they were at their worst it occured 4-5 times a week.
    Many times 2X in the same day.

I had learned to give myself hymelic maneuvers on a sink edge or by just leaning over and letting gravity help.
    The problem has caused social embarrasement,ie: awkwardness with episodes in public restaurants, and because it was combined with nausea following meals I began developing avoidance of many many foods. I had to give up all meats except for ground meats like tuna or salmon in a can, in very small quanties. I also freq choked on scrambled eggs,
    carrots, among other things.

My BEST ADVICE is to NOT, I repeat NOT, drink any liquids when the choking tightness is present. I made this mistake and totally occluded my airway a couple of times. If you lean over a sink or toilet and try to belch and concentrate on breathing deeply, the blockage begins to work its way up. For me it can take 1-2 hours. Sorry for the graphic detail, but if this is a problem for you, it will make sense.

The exciting news is that as of the present, they are almost gone or at least happen no more than 1-2 times a month. Piece of cake! This I can handle!

Here's what helped when the choking was most active. I devised a liquid breakfast that I have (still to this day) each morning. It consists of 1 cup juice, soy milk or regular milk (1% or skim) along with 2-3 favorite fruits (fresh or frozen). To this I add a scoop of protein powder (I use soy, but I hear denatured? un-denatured? whey is also good) and several ice cubes. (Also can add flax seed oil and vegetable fiber powder for healthy alternative) It is then blended in a blender and poured in a tall glass.

It helps me to feel more relaxed that I won't start the day off choking and also to know that I'm getting my protein for the AM. I also lost weight due to not being able to eat enough meat or protein food prior to this.

The other thing that seemed to help me is when I was put on muscle relaxants at bedtime (for sleep). The positive side effect is that I began noticing less swallowing episodes. However at the same time I also had begun treatments by a D.O. specializing in something called "Visceral Manipulation". He is board certifed in this specialty.
    He was able to address my Myofascial Pain Syndrome symptoms, which were, among other things, tightness in my diaphragm muscles (from continuous choking episodes), nausea, gall bladder attack symptoms, and tight muscles in the front of my neck. I believe that all of these were part of this swallowing/choking issue for me.

Note: I had already undergone upper G.I., scope of my esophagus, blood work for thyroid problems and all had come up negative. My primary doctor had then began ignoring my reports of these continuing symptoms. They had began to be disabling in their scope, ie: weight loss, obsessiveness about food choices, fear of choking/eating, exhaustion
    around the topic of eating, etc. I would at times fast 2-3 days because of being tired/exhausted from eating/choking.

I had previously concluded that the choking may be due to either food allergies or feelings of grief that caused my
    throat to feel tight and tired. But now, AT LEAST IN MY CASE, I would conclude that it is from Myofascial Pain Syndrome.

I can say that now following the above changes, I am healed of 90% of the symptoms/problems. (After 15 long years . . . God is Good!)

Feel free to e-mail me if I can be of further assistance. It is Seizetheday4U@msn.com

Blessings, ........ Jill
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2002]
  14. terra329

terra329 New Member

I complain all the time to my regular doctor (so they never listin to me) it took me a year to get the test I needed to see what was going on. Now I am waiting for my results from biopsy on two lesions on my exophagus! I also had swallowing problems - so I would say get it checked out.
  15. sybil

sybil New Member

swallowing,every tiny,well chewed mouthfull feels like a brick going down.i choke at times and i have a husky voice and sometimes sore throat.all this is intermittent,but seems to have got worse recently.my bloods for thyroid are normal,i know that can mean nothing,

sybilxxx
  16. fralor

fralor New Member

I'm just like herblady. My throat just freezes up like it's paralyzed. I had no idea anyone else was going through similar situations or that it even had anything to do with FM. Loretta