Digestive Enzymes - the way to better health?...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PatPalmer, Apr 20, 2003.

1. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

After reading Jellys post on fibrin causing hypercoagulation and it recommending a Digestive Enzyme supplement on empty stomach to rid the fibrin, I thought the info in this article was very interesting...

Research has shown that people who have a chronic disease, or have low energy levels also have lower enzyme content in their blood, urine, and tissues. While there is clearly a direct relationship between disease states and a person's enzyme levels, only recently has the NATURE of that relationship been better understood. In fact, which is the cause and which is the effect? Researchers began to question if a person's enzyme levels were low because they were sick or were they sick because their enzyme levels were low. The researchers found something surprising.

A person does not have a low enzyme content because he/she is sick or aged, but instead, the reason a person may be sick or aged is because of low enzyme content.

Why Enzymes Are Important

Enzymes are one of the most essential elements in your life. Enzymes are more important than the air you breathe, the water you drink, and the food you eat. Why is this? Enzymes are required for your body to function properly or really to function at all. Without enzymes you wouldn't be able to breathe, swallow, drink, eat, nor digest your food. To do all of these things you need assistance to help do the work for you. You must have enzymes to help perform these tasks. Enzymes are an absolute necessity to live.

Enzymes are our body's workers. They are responsible for constructing, synthesizing, carrying, dispensing, delivering, and eliminating the many ingredients and chemicals our body uses in its daily business of living.

Your body makes enzymes. When you were young, you had an abundant supply of enzymes. You felt great. Your energy level seemed never ending. In effect you had "enzymes to burn," all that was required to keep you running at tip top efficiency.

As time goes by, you S L O W L Y begin to lose this efficiency. For years you don't even notice that you can't do what you think you can do. Less able to eat the spicy foods you love; less able to recover as quickly from the aches and pains of weekend sports or even just daily living; reduced stamina. This reduced vitality signals a weakened and compromised body.

You Aren't getting old, you're just running out of the enzymes you need to fuel your life. The process of depleting your enzymes is a slow one, and most likely you didn't notice your energy and vitality disappearing until one day something you once loved to do was suddenly too much work. You aren't getting too old to enjoy life, you are running our of enzymes that would ensure you the energy you need to enjoy life. What you have always thought was the inevitable process of aging is neither necessary nor inevitable. You simply need to restore your enzyme potential.

The reason why we are running out of enzymes is a LIFESTYLE PROBLEM. Our poor dietary habits, fast food obsessions, and excessive intake of fat and sugars, all require excessive amounts of enzymes. Stress kills and damages cells, resulting in our enzyme-making machinery having to work overtime to help rebuild and replace them. Environmental pollution causes continuous cellular insult and damage requiring the ongoing assistance from enzymes just to maintain a healthy immune system. And time is a big factor. Time and the process of living uses up enzymes that must be replaced if we expect to retain the healthy active life style we have grown accustomed to. Every one of these factors diminishes our body's capacity to act, to do, to feel the way we want to feel; and, as many reputable scientists will tell you, can even shortens your life.

ENZYMES are ESSENTIAL. They are so essential that without enzymes you will die. In fact many researchers now view the aging process and death itself as nothing more than an enzyme potential which has decreased to a level where the living organism can no longer be repaired and maintained in its existing environment.

We can slow down this trend by fortifying our body with supplemental digestive enzymes. We can help reverse this inevitable downward spiral in our body's efficiency; a spiral created by a growing shortage of available enzymes.

Supplemental digestive enzymes are win-win for all ages. The research is clear and the case studies are indisputable.

To begin to better understand digestive enzymes, we must first understand the role of NUTRITION in our health.

Researchers once thought that your enzyme levels were low just because you were sick. Now they realize that the reason you might be sick is because your enzyme levels are low.

Enzymes are our body's workers, nothing in our body works without them.

As we age, are subjected to environmental insults, eat excessively sweet and fatty foods, and stay in a generally high stress condition, our body can't make enough enzymes to continue to service our digestive and immune systems' needs. The result is we begin to encounter digestive disorders and chronic and lifestyle diseases.

We can slow this problem by taking supplemental digestive enzymes

I recently included Digestive Enzymes to my collection of supplements as I have had digestion problems for over two years now, - be interesting to see if it works...

Love Pat.

[This Message was Edited on 04/20/2003]
  2. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

with all the info provided on it...But some people recommend plant-based enzymes and others say animal-based are better...How do you find the actual truth in the matter?

Also, how do you convince elderly parents, one of which is desperately ill, that they need to be taking them, since enzymatic activity decreases so by their age..My mother just does not seem to be able to take more pills..she's on so much medication, it takes all day to ingest them..I know how she feels, as I am popping pills all throughout the day with these DDs, but am convinced of the need!!

Thanks for the article and reminding us of the importance..

HAPPY EASTER,
    ~~Amelia~~
  3. IngaDinga

IngaDinga New Member

and they STINK!!!!!!!!!!!! OH YUCK!!!!!

I can't even get them down the stench is so bad. This can't be normal?!?!?!

Also, they say to take on a full stomach.....
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Try another brand----I have used the ones from this website (Vital enzymes) and also another brand and have never noticed any strong smell. So maybe it's just that particular brand???

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. Solstice

Solstice New Member

Does anyone have an answer for the plant based or animal based enzyme question?

I know if we eat food that is not cooked, and it is good food .....raw, organic, veges, fruit, nuts, seeds, that they will contain more enzymes to help digest them. But if we don't eat like that all the time, I guess the supplements make sense. I too would like to start taking them.

Thanks,

Solstice
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Plant enzymes are better at helping you digest plant foods, and animal enzymes are better at helping you digest animal based foods, but it really does not make all that much difference guys...just take 'em and you'll be glad you did.
    Klutzo
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

Ive just started taking digestive enzymes. They do seem to help with digestion but I'm getting awful discomfort in my stomach (not unusual for me) soon after I take them.

Could this be the betaine hydrochloride. I know this helps break down proteins, with which I have problems, but I don't want to cause any further problems with my GI tract having made some progress up until now.

I really would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2003]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for sharing.

Love, Mikie
  9. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

For Tansy and everyone else.

Pat.
  10. rge

rge New Member

50 Reasons to Oppose Fluoridation

(from fluoridealert.org/50-reasons.htm)

9) Dental fluorosis means that a child has been overdosed on fluoride. While the mechanism by which the enamel is damaged is not definitively known, it appears fluorosis may be a result of either inhibited enzymes in the growing teeth (Dan Besten 1999), or through fluoride's interference with the thyroid gland.

13) Fluoride inhibits enzymes in test tubes (Waldbott, 1978), in bacteria in the oral cavity (Featherstone, 2000), in the growing tooth (DenBesten, 1999), in bone (Krook and Minor, 1998) and in other tissues (Luke, 1998).

14) Fluoride has been shown to be mutagenic, cause chromosome damage and interfere with the enzymes involved with DNA repair in a variety of insect, tissue culture and animal studies (DHSS, 1991, Mihashi and Tsutsui, 1996).

16) Fluoride forms complexes with a large number of metals, which include metals which are needed in the body (like calcium and magnesium) and metals (like lead and aluminum) which are toxic to the body. This can cause a variety of problems. For example, fluoride interferes with enzymes where magnesium is an important co-factor, and it can help facilitate the uptake of aluminum into tissues where the aluminum wouldn't otherwise go.

46) Some of the earliest opponents of fluoridation were biochemists and at least 14 Nobel Prize winners are among numerous scientists who have expressed their reservations about the practice of fluoridation (see appendix 4 for list). Dr. James Sumner, who won the Nobel Prize for his work on enzyme chemistry, had this to say about fluoridation: "We ought to go slowly. Everybody knows fluorine and fluoride are very poisonous substances…We use them in enzyme chemistry to poison enzymes, those vital agents in the body. That is the reason things are poisoned; because the enzymes are poisoned and that is why animals and plants die" (Connett, 2000).
  11. lmn

lmn New Member

Aside from the vital enzymes sold here, can you give me the names of some others that may be sold at my local GNC or Bread and Circus?
    Thank you!!
    lmn
  12. 4mylabs

4mylabs New Member

HI Pat

I had my monthly checkup with my CFS Dr and he recommended that I try Digestive Enzymes. How timely to read your article on the benefits of taking them. Makes me appreciate my Dr even more when he stay on top of the little things that can make a difference.

I'll let you know if they help.

Julie
  13. starstella

starstella New Member

what was the source of the article you posted?
  14. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Starstella, I just went into my search engine and sifted through the list - sorry, I can`t remember the actual site it came from now. Some brillient info out there...

Pat.
  15. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I understand the plant versus animal based thing. One question though. Would you take the plant based enzymes if you were trying to get better supplementation absorption? It would make sense to me, but just wanted to see what you all thought...

Thanks, Debbie
  16. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

I have to admit I haven`t looked that deeply into this, but would have to agree with you in thinking the plant based makes more sense for this problem.

Pat
  17. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Tansy,

The Betaine Hcl is very hard to take and must be taken with a full stomach. I take it without problem, but I have too little stomach acid, so I take this to replace some of that. If you have GERD, you may want to think about limiting it's use.

You may want to try a polyphasic digestive complex, this means it works in your stomach and in your intestines. I take one like this with my Betaine. They are usually marketed as an "Ultra" enzyme product - just look for the words polyphasic on the label to be sure.

Others here take Bromelain (from pineapple) just by itself, with great success. Bromelain works as a digestive aid with meals and an anti-inflammatory taken between meals.

I also take Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA) and CLA, Conjugated Linoleic acid - both are available here in the on-line store.

Hope this helps,
    Lane

[This Message was Edited on 05/25/2003]
  18. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Lane

Thanks so much for that info.

At present I'm taking panceatic enzymes with meals. Better than last product. But the more broad spectrum products may well be better, I will look into them. I want GP to arrange tests for heliobacter; last GP refused, didn't want to do anything I just had to learn to live with it all according to him.

Was also considering veggie enzymes, might try bromelain but had problems in past with pineapple may just have been the candida but I will consider that.

I have to admit changing approach to GI tract symptoms is having some beneficial effects. Symptoms flare up all the time, mostly when I get another virus etc, but there are days now when my gut is more normal than it has been since I became ill.

Isn't this board great. So many people generously posting info, ideas, their experiences. Confusing for addled brains like mine but oh so helpful.

Cheers

Tansy
  19. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

A lot of questions being asked - thought some ressurection of articles are badly needed...

Love Pat.