Digestive problems/milk sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goog1212, Dec 28, 2008.

1. goog1212

goog1212 New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to the boards. I've been having fibro symptoms for 7-8 yeas, finally got diagnosed about 2 years ago.

Last October I was put on a combo of Cymbalta and Neurontin, and as of January, I've been feeling much better. Last year was positively miserable, I was bedridden for much of it. This year, I still have pain and flares, but much less often and much milder. So I'm happy about that!

However, a new and puzzling symptom has emerged. I don't know if it's related to the fibro or what.

For the past few months I have become very sensitive to lactose. In the beginning, it was ice cream and hot (melted) cheese that totally killed my GI tract, and it would get better if I took lactaid before eating those foods.

Lately, though, the Lactaid no longer helps and the dairy sensitivity has extended even to the little bit of milk I put in my coffee each morning. I don't get the classic lactose intolerance symptoms with this, I get really nauseous and the milk feels like it's sitting like a boulder in my stomach.

A few days ago my husband thought I should switch to Lactaid milk, so he got me some. I was excited to not feel sick every morning! Sadly, it didn't work.

Could I be sensitive to something else in milk other than lactose? Or could it be that the lactose is still making me sick despite the added lactase enzyme in Lactaid milk?

I'm not so worried about the morning coffee (I can switch to rice or soy milk), but I do love cheese and yogurt, I don't want to have to stay away from them!

Anyone else have this problem? Is it related to the fibro, or do I just have really, really bad luck with my body?

Thanks in advance and sorry I wrote such a long post!
  2. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

hi goog, from what I've read if you have a sensitivity to something you get a reaction later maybe hours, if it's an allergy then the reaction happens in about 1/2 hour.

I have been sick for 50 years with this crud and just recently found out I have a sensitivity to all dairy, so I quit eating it. I did try a bit of "save" cheese a while back and got really sick from it. I, too, loved milk, ice cream and cheese but decided I wanted to get better more than I wanted any of these foods. My symptoms improved a bit from going off diary. I also quit eating any sugar except Stivia. sugar and od the ose stuff is really bad for anyone with fibro- well, it's bad for everyone but worse for us- it can aggravate the pain and symptoms.

You can't have both- getting better and keep eating foods that don't agree with you. Most Americans can't tolerate dairy anyway.

Now, yogurt and keefer are totally different since the lactose has been fermented out of these products and they are really good for digestion.

I also found anything I just absolutely could not live without was thing that I shouldn't be eating in the first place.

If you do switch don't use soy milk, soy isn't the great cure all everyone thought unless it is fermented. Try almond milk or one of the nut milks, they taste better and are better health wise.

With fibro we all have bad luck with our bodies or we wouldn't have this crud and more! :) And most of it has started with the digestive system. There's some great articles on that on the web. About 90% of our immune defense starts with the gut. Cateyes has a great thread on that.

Your post wasn't too long :)

Good luck!!!
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

There is a difference between lactose intolerance and milk sensitivity. I thought I was lactose intolerant, but it turns out I have a milk sensitivity.

I use rice milk. If I do have cow's milk in something, or eat cheese, I take a couple of my "multi-enzyme probiotic formula" tablets from Walmart. It helps me digest sensitive foods. Some sensitive foods I avoid though, such as sugar cane and corn syrup since they increase my pain and stiffness.