dilocated knee/hypermobility/relationship to other symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moreinfoplease, May 30, 2008.

1. moreinfoplease

moreinfoplease New Member

I am trying to determine for sure that I have cfids (i think i do, no "formal diagnosis"), was recently diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension, and am trying to hang in there with worsening health.

I am supposed to attend a family wedding next weekend, and have been pacing myself and preparing for months. On Tuesday, I went to try to buy some shoes to wear to the wedding. I spent a brief time in a couple stores, with breaks to rest, and while trying on a pair of shoes, my knee "gave out" and I fell to the floor. After reading on the internet and going to urgent care, I think I dislocated my knee. I have lifelong history of hypermobility on the knees which made good posture very difficult (impossible really), but until now never heard of joint hypermobility syndrome.

My questions are: are there others out there with this issue and is there are relationship to cfids or other symptoms?

From what I have read, it sounds like a possible relationship to the orthostatic intoloerance.

My knee still hurts (I have an appt with an orthopetist in a couple weeks) and I feel very vulnerable from the experience. It was pretty traumatic to fall down in the middle of the store and struggle to stand back up, just out of the blue like that.

As always, feedback, info, experiences, so appreicated
  2. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

You're quite right.

I found out from a physio a couple of years ago that I appear to have joint hypermobility syndrome. She noticed the way my thumbs curve backwards. She showed me how my kneecaps slide easily from side to side. I am also able to sit in a 'W'.

After researching on the net, it appears that due to some collagen differences, that our veins may also be different, and may be more stretchy. Thus the orthostatic intollerance.

Also, people with hypermobility syndromes seem vulnerable to getting CFS or FMS.

I would recommend strengthening muscles around weak joints, and muscle strengthening exercises in general. Stay away from yoga, or too much stretching. Cold showers, or cold weather can constict the blood vessels, giving an improved feeling of wellbeing.

A knee support bandage may be appropriate for you temporarily (just a suggestion, I haven't experienced dislocation).

I found some good info on the net, but can't direct you to it offhand. I think I googled hypermobility+FMS.

Do you suffer from cognitive problems? That seems to be an indication of CFS & FM.

Hope you are able to get to the wedding, and enjoy it.
    Robyn

3. moreinfoplease

for your response.

I have researched a little bit on the internet and am using a support brace.

It helps to get feedback, because despite the online research, I have been very confused in my efforts to put the pieces of this puzzle together.

I thought I had figured it out when I read about joint hypermobility syndrome, but when I read the diagnositic criteria, I began to doubt that I meet it.

I don't think any of my joints meet the criteria except my knees.

Also, I am 39, and so I wonder why this did not happend before, when I was younger. It makes me wonder if something else is causing it.

On the other hand, I did have my leg go out for no reason (maybe same as this) once when I was 20 and once a couple of years back when I was running and at the time, I though it was because I landed funny in the sand.

So, maybe those instances were similar to what happended now, but then I wonder why only those 3 times?

I have the tendancy to ask why a lot when things happen. Maybe a number of various factors were just all lined up on these 3 occasions.

I think this instance was more upsetting because I was alone in a public place, and because I was already trying so hard to manage my other health problems.

The incident left me feeling discouraged and defeated. Hopefully only temporarily.

Thanks again for you input!
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Manganese deficiency
  5. moreinfoplease

Manganese deficiency could cause hypermobility?
    Not that I don't believe you, just surprised.
    Would/could my level have been low my whole life, since I have had symptom my whole life?

6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Yes, sometimes levels of Manganese are higher or lower than at other times. This can also be said about all minerals. But if your supply gets really low, it is very difficult to build back up. And the manmade chemicals in food, medicine, environment can use up what we have and thus deplete them even more....Manganese is needed to help keep ligaments and tendons strong and flexible. It is also required to help make connective tissue through out the body.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/31/2008]