Directions for growing sprouts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by xchocoholic, Sep 10, 2006.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I have been growing my own sprouts for awhile now and find it an easy and convenient way of keeping fresh veggies in the house. Especially for those who are house bound.

I think home grown taste better than the ones you buy out.

I bought a sprouting kit at my health food store that is basically a mason jar with three plastic lids with different size holes in them.

They are $5.89 at the store and online at www.texasbestunlimited.com. Look up sprouting supplies and then The jar.

I have 2 kits now, but could use a third. I widened a very small section of the lid with the extra small holes, so that I could rinse them better. The water was pooling on the top.

I bought extra mason jars and keep 3 going at a time. It is so easy. Just soak your seeds / beans ovenight. Rinse thoroughly (3 times) with filtered water in the am and lay the jar on it's side covered so the light doesn't get to it. I just use a kitchen towel and leave the lid side open to air.

Then I rinse them again in the afternoon and at nite. They will be ready to eat in 2 or 3 days. Then you set them out in the light so they turn green. (chlorophyl)

It is very important to keep them rinsed. I have heard warnings about bacteria, but I have never had a problem with mine. I think it is only the ones you buy out you have to worry about. Or if you don't rinse them properly. Mung beans keep the best.

Be sure to only use organic sprouting seeds. And you only need to buy a small amount and sprout a small amout at a time. Learned that one the hard way.

This is one of Dr. Perricone's superfoods. He lists the nutrients on Oprah site given in my thread on this.

Xchocoholic