Disability and Employment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MoibonFL, Feb 28, 2007.

1. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

Somewhere I thought I read that a person has to be out of work for at least a year to get any type of disability benefits..Is this true? Or is it for specific disability benefits like SSI or Supplemental Security Income? Thanks
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

In order to get social security benefits, your disorder has to be expected to last for at least 12 months.

However, there are private insurance plans such as STD and LTD (that are either offered by your employer or that you purchase on your own) which will cover you usually pretty much from the beginning of your illness.

I understand that some states also offer disability plans. I live in Georgia and we don't have any such thing, so I cannot attest as to how those work.

Hope this helps.

TerryS
  3. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

So If I currently work part time and am having a difficult time doing that, I can apply now for Disability even tho I am continuing to maintain employment? I cannot afford not to work so it wouldn't be practical for me to quit.
  4. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

5. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

Yes, I have to get to the disability site to do some reading! Have a Great day!
  6. MDS114

MDS114 New Member

I think you have to have been out of work at least 12 months before you can apply. Go to www.ssa.gov. That's the Social Security website. I'm sure you can get most of your questions answered there. Good luck:)Also, Social Security is run through the Federal Govt not our local govt or state govt. SSI is based on income & disability. SSD is based on disability.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2007]
  7. TerryS

TerryS Member

You dont' have to have been out of work for 12 months...you just have to be EXPECTED to be out for at least 12 months to qualify for SS.

As far as working while disabled, it is very, very difficult to get SS if you are currently working, AND your income would have to be very small (I think around $800 per month or less).

That's the horrible thing. You can't afford NOT to work, yet you are too ill to work...what are you supposed to do???

My sister had a brain aneurysm burst back in 2002. She was in the hospital and then rehab for five months. When she got out, she had NO INCOME and no way to survive. (Her husband is mentally ill - seriously - and she was the bread winner). She was able to get her SS right away. They approved it within two months and she got a check right away. In the interim, her in-laws (who are very wealthy) paid the rent for their son (her husband) and her. If it had not been for that, they (my sister and her hubby) would have had to move in with someone in the family while they waited on the SS to kick in.

All that being said, seems most people don't get their SS for a much longer period of time...sometimes two or three years. If you are truly disabled and need to apply for SS, it seems you almost have to stop working completely and have family that's willing to take you in while you wait on SS.

I am lucky in that I had STD and LTD from my previous employer. I did get approved for my LTD, although they are being a royal pain in the tush and are actually threatening to cut me off!!! I am also very fortunate to have an understanding husband who just happens to make a very good living. He says "don't worry about...we'll make it and not starve!"...

TerryS