DISABILITY APPROVED IN LESS THAN 1yr !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LauraA, Oct 10, 2002.

1. LauraA

LauraA New Member

I applied for disability benefits August 10th,2001 and approved on August 9th,2002!!! Less than a year. I was denied first time like everybody but got it on my appeal. That's the way its suppose to be for people that really need it. It should be easy I know dealing with the pain, fatigue and depression, we do deserve it. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Dont give up. If you suffering everyday and struggle to function day to day you deserve it. I put it off for a long time because i felt others deserved it and were worse off than myself. And i'm very stubborn and i felt like i was giving in and letting the FMS win but i was wrong.

People finally convinced me that i do need it and should receive help. So i filed and got it. (It really wasnt that easy, i had to fill out all those papers and junk but my husband represented me and handled it all so i let him deal with it and i just prayed daily.

Dont give up. You deserve some help too. God Bless!!!!
  2. LauraA

LauraA New Member

I applied for disability benefits August 10th,2001 and approved on August 9th,2002!!! Less than a year. I was denied first time like everybody but got it on my appeal. That's the way its suppose to be for people that really need it. It should be easy I know dealing with the pain, fatigue and depression, we do deserve it. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Dont give up. If you suffering everyday and struggle to function day to day you deserve it. I put it off for a long time because i felt others deserved it and were worse off than myself. And i'm very stubborn and i felt like i was giving in and letting the FMS win but i was wrong.

People finally convinced me that i do need it and should receive help. So i filed and got it. (It really wasnt that easy, i had to fill out all those papers and junk but my husband represented me and handled it all so i let him deal with it and i just prayed daily.

Dont give up. You deserve some help too. God Bless!!!!
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

did you have to go in front of a judge just curious because we applied around the same time and im still waaiting for a court date,congrats
  4. LauraA

LauraA New Member

And i mean that big time, THANK GOD!! I was so worried that i would end up in court and was really scared. I prayed and prayed.We applied the 1st time and denied. We appealed and waited & waited.(Like i said my husband represented me and he even thought i would be getting a court date)And on August 12th my letter came and said I was approved it was stamped August 9th, 1 day away from one year. My mouth dropped to the floor, my husband was saying what is it what is it.

Do you have FMS/CFS? Or what, if you dont mind me asking

Hang in there! Once you get it the amount of stress that falls off of you is amazing!! I'll keep you in my prayers.
  5. allhart

allhart New Member

thank god that you got such a blessing and didnt have to go to court the idea of going in front of a judge is terrifying me i have fm cfs mps scolosis and a history of migrains sense the age of 12 when i went for my interveiw when i frist appiled the lady said i should have no promblems because i have more then one health contion she lied i guess im realy happy for you
  6. cpalance

cpalance New Member

Exactly how did you husband represent you? I guess I don't understand the process. Could you please help.

Thanks,

Cindy
  7. marilew

marilew New Member

I have been fighting for disability for 2 two years...but 15 months for my Long Term...I have had to hire a lawyer, as I have been denied 3 times now.
    How did he represent you if I may ask. I have FMS, CFS. MPS and OA
    I am from Canada as well, if you are from the States, maybe things are different there.
    M
  8. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

May I ask what illnesses you filed on? I am just curious, I filed in April 2002 and went for my psych visit Oct.3 and my physical evaluation on July 25 and they told me that I should have my first decision in 5 or 6 weeks.
    I hope you don't mind me asking, I know it has been easier for some to get it based on combined illnesses than it is for the ones that file on single illnesses. I will tell you my illnesses if you tell me yours!! hahahahahahaha Just making a little humour, have to keep spirits high with these diseases.
    Again Congratulations and have you already gotten your back pay and if so for how many months did they go back and pay you for?
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  9. JoninKansas

JoninKansas New Member

May I ask what STATE are you in? I applied in Kansas Jan. 2002 and was denied June 2002 I asked for a reconsideration and haven't heard a thing from them.
    I applied over the phone they haven't schedule me for a thing just flat out denied me. My papers said if I could take care of my personal needs I could work. This means brushing my teeth, hair, and using the toilet and taking a bath (with help) I can work.
    It's terrible that sick and needy people like us have to flight these people to get any type of help (financially or emotionally).

Joni
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2002]
  10. LauraA

LauraA New Member

Hey all, glad to hear from you all. I hope everyone gets approved soon. We deserve it!!

I had a MVA May 6, 19996. And have had pain every second of everyday from then on.
    Let's see I have: FMS,CFS,MPS,IBS,PTSD,Headaches,Mononeucleosis,Severe Depression,Carpel Tunnel,Endometriosis... I think thats it, but I applied for disab. on Depression,PTSD,FMS,Chronic Pain,Chronic Fatigue,H/As,Mono,Sleep Problems.

I applied on August 10th,2001, denied 5mths later on February 1st,2002. Appealed quickly. Had my Psych eval
    June 27,2002. Received my approval letter on August 12,2002 (stamped August 9th-approval date). Received my back pay from the time THEY say I became disabled which was July 2001 (even though my doc had taken me out of work exactly 1 yr prior-in July 2000). About 1mth after my approval letter,Aug 12th, I received my back pay. I really didnt expect it so soon, they actually told me it could take up to 60days. And I should receive my first mthly check this month around the 3rd week in October. The date your check will come depends on the date of your bday, my falls later in the month (the 22nd) so my checks will come around the 3rd week.

My husband is not an attorney but does represent people in their disability claims. He started by helping a friend who is a disability rep with G.B.I.S (Government Benefits Information Services, Inc.)and has now taken on cases of his own. He handles everything, medical records reveiw,paperwork,speaks directly w/ people at Social Security (he has some of those special lines/#s-ya know)to ask questions and so on re: certain claims. Basically he is the go between like an attorney, so you dont have to worry about anything so go on about your daily routine because thats a stresser in it self and leave the other stressor (worrying about SS and getting appoved and all that paperwork-YUCK) to the reps. We dont need that extra stress. And you dont pay anything up front, if you win he gets a percentage of your backpay.

I think i answered all your questions. Oh, I live in Virginia. Its nice to talk w/ someone all the way in Canada.

Sorry it takes me so long to get back w/ you but i'm right handed and it doesnt take very long for my arm/shoulder to start killing d/t carpel tunnel they say.??. And it takes forever to type with one hand, its hunt and peck.

Talk later. Any other questions let me know.

**GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS**
  11. Carolonly

Carolonly New Member

I was just wondering they told me I couldn't get it because my husband makes too much and because I didn't work enough does that have anything to do with it?????
  12. teach6

teach6 New Member

There are two types of SS you can apply for. One is SSDI and is based on how much you have worked in the past 10 years (I think). If you don't have enough work credit the other choice is SSI, which is for people who have very low income. If you have been working regulalry you can apply for SSDI, if not and your husband makes too much money you are stuck.

I have a dear friend who has been disabled most of her adult life, but when she was young enough to have qualified she didn't bother applying. She was married to a doctor and didn't feel like she needed it.

Well, now she's divorced, he left her, and she coul duse a little extra besides the alimony she receives. She surrently works about nine hours a week, to pay for her income tax on her alimony.

You never know what the future will hold.

Barbara
  13. LauraA

LauraA New Member

Hey you live in Houston,TX!!!! We may be moving out there in the next few months (maybe up to 6mths) How long have you lived there? Do you like it? Does it really get so hot that you cant stand it?? My mother keeps telling me that and I tell her that alot of people live in TX if you couldnt bare the heat no one would be living there.

I noticed that your bday just passed, Happy late Birthday hope you had a nice one. If you put the yr you were born i didnt notice it. How old are you if you dont mind. I know age is a sensitive subject for alot of women. Im 34 & feel like 120yrs old alot of days. Im married,almost 18yrs,four children 7,9,13,16yrs old (2boys/2girls) Just wondering if you have any children or not. Maybe we have more in common then just pain & suffering. That way maybe I'll know someone out in TX before i get there.

**GOD BLESS**
  14. SaraD

SaraD New Member

Bravo!! Congrat's to you. I am so thrilled for you. I see you have 4 children. I do as well, I just turned 29. The big thing people keep throwing in my face is that I have 4 children and that if I am well enough to care for them all then I am well enough to work. What else would I rather do in life??? I tried giving to work and kids, but there was nothing left of me to give to my family, even when only working down to 20 hours a week. Sorry, when my health is limited anyway, I am giving the good of it to my kids and husband.
    I am so happy for you. I had a lawyer and went to my hearing on August 2nd, so I am running to the mailbox every day and praying all the way down the driveway as I go. I know I must hear something by the end of November as I hear they have to let you know within 120 days. I am from Maine and very surprised that I haven't been called into there doc's or psych's etc... hope that means they have enough with my medical records. Thanks for posting!!!
    Sarad
  15. LauraA

LauraA New Member

You will feel alot better once you get it approved, believe me. I still cant believe mine was approved, i figured i would be fighting for it forever but, i put it in Gods hands and said if its meant to be it'll happen. I sure hope you find an approval letter in that mailbox one day soon.
    Hey, how old are your kids? I know exactly what you mean about giving what you got to your kids. I dont have any energy at all most days but whatever i do have i want to spend it all with my children & husband. I feel so bad and feel like a bad mom alot. My husband & i got married when we were 17 and been married for almost 18yrs now. So you could say we grew up w/ our kids. We were so young and always played outside w/ them, playing softball,soccer,tag, basketball you name it. I use to run,lift wts-loved to exercise. Now my husband has 2 rods, 8 screws and 2 brackets in his lower back and i am just falling apart + 60lbs over wt. I really miss playing like that w/ the kids & i know they do to. I love to watch them play now. I give them everything i got then i'm dead for the next 23 hours,hahahahaha.
    Nice talking to ya. Oh by the way. I live in Virginia and my kids are 7,9,13,16yrs (oldest & youngest are boys, 2 middle are girls)

See ya, Laura
  16. SaraD

SaraD New Member

Thank you for that personal response LauraA. My children are 17 months, 3 1/2, 7 and 8. I know, a handful!! My husband and I are celebrating our 9th anniversary next week.
    Funny, I have had the same attitude, if it's meant to be it will happen. God does everything for a reason. I have had such a hard time, with fighting for the LTD from my company I worked for for 9 years and finally gave up, left it in the lawyers hands and haven't heard a word from him. Strangely enough I always end up with lousy doctors and lawyers. Must be for some reason right???
    Well, we have family in Virginia and would love to live there. Love to chat with you if you'd like, my email is SaraDavison@juno.com. Thank you!!!!!
    Sarad
  17. LauraA

LauraA New Member

sorry its been so long. i've got so much going on right now. I'm totally stressed out. Thanks for your email address, i would like to talk with ya. We have alot in common. 4 children, we are both young and both feel about 90yr olds. My email address is ( Akersx7@aol.com ). I dont get on the computer or online much because my arm has been giving me a fit here lately or i'm just to tired. But we'll talk via message board or email.

Thanks, **GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS**