disability attorney/los angeles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LouiseK, May 10, 2006.

1. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Hello all,

I would like to find a good disability attorney in los angeles. frankly I find many attorneys the opposite of good so I would like a recommendation.

Many thanks. Hope someone is having an easy day:)

LouiseK
  2. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

I know of the BEST attorney for CFS in L.A. He has never lost a case. If you want an attorney for Social Security Disability, thats what he does and you need him. Let me know if thats the kind of attorney your looking for.

Dolphin
  3. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Hello!

Thank you. I need an attorney for the disability insurance company and SS -- the disability company is going to make me file almost immediately when they hear I've stopped working again.

Please tell me who this person is and what you know . . .

Very grateful.

LouiseK
    PS Looking for your thread re Dr. Silverman right now. Don't really understand how to use this board thing having never done it before in my life!
  4. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

my heart goes out to you. Your in such a tough place right now, but your on the right track with good doctors and a good attorney. The attorney's name is:

Joel Leidner
    4622 Hollywood Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90027

Telephone: (323) 664-5670

Do what ever he says. He knows exactly what he is doing and he knows CFS inside & out. If I can help you out any further, please let me know.

Dolphin
  5. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Dear Dolphin,

Thank you I will contact him right away.

Did he handle your case, may I ask?

Thanks a million.

LouiseK
  6. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

Yes, he handled my S.S. Disability and ten years later, he handled my husbands, and I have referred him to lots of other CFS patients at my doctors office. They all received permanent Social security disability.

I was referred to him by a very kind woman who had CFS that I met in the waiting room of my CFS doctor.

Joel was an early pioneer attorney for CFS. He took it seriously from the beginning and learned about it. He has been doing this for over 20 years, that I know of.

So, please do call him. This is one way I can repay that kind patient for referring him to me and help out a fellow PWC. I know how hard it is and "I'm paying it forward."

God bless you!
    Dolphin
  7. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Many thanks again. I believe I read on this site that these attorneys can charge no more than $4000 total for these cases. That seems totally crazy to me. I mean they seem to take years (which I understand is mostly waiting around) but a lot of strategizing,paperwork, etc.

Who would do this for the possibility of $4,000 way down the road? Or have I misunderstood something here?

You've been an absolute angel!

LouiseK

8. LdyM

LdyM New Member

aroud $5,000 to my SSDI attorney in 1996. Location Sonoma County, CA. He did win my case.
  9. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

the way Joel works is, (if I can remember correctly) if he looses, he does not get paid or even ask you for a fee. If he wins, he takes a certain percentage of your winnings. I think it is 1/3 of what you get in your first payment, which includes your backpay. There is a law that prohibits SSDI attorneys from taking more than that. It does take a long time. Or maybe I should say it did take a long time. I don't know about now a days. Anyway, it took about 3 years to get mine.

Thats just the way the courts work, they are very backed up. According to the SSDI protocol, you have three trys to get SSDI. With CFS they ALWAYS turn you down the first two times. Then you get your SSDI attorney involved. It does no good to involve an attorney before that, as the results are always the same. That is according to SSDI standard operating procedure. They want you to get discouraged and quit applying, weed out the fakers, etc. After the second denial, you get the attorney and he will win it for you. By that time (usually 2 or 3 years have gone by) you are entitled to 2 or 3 years back pay + whatever they will be paying you monthly.

The attorney will take 1/3 of your award or whatever the amount allowed by law is and you will get what is left, which is still usually a windfall!!! Then you will get your check monthly for the rest of your life. It is definately a process but it is well worth the time. You simply MUST go through this. If you talk to Joel or his clerk they will tell you all of this. Please call NOW and talk to him or his clerk that handles CFS cases. They will answer your questions and your mind should be put at ease.

Once you start applying, make copies of everything you turn in to SSDI. It is important to do this because you have to be very careful to keep everything (symptoms, etc) the SAME! No changes (in your health for better or worse), or anything that could give them an excuse to deny you. Consistancy is key.

Kindest regards,
    Dolphin
  10. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Wealth of information!

I will call Joel and hope he will get involved right away rather than after two denials -- even though that might be a lot more work for him than just coming in for the 3rd try. It seems so trecherous navigating all this; I would like to have advice along the way (before I hopelessly screw everything up!)

If I wait for three years for $ I will be so far in debt I'm sure there will be nothing left of that backpay check. It seems a lot of the people on this board have sources of income other than themselves which I don't.

Perhaps SS thinks you will starve to death waiting. Ha ha.

Thanks again. Deeply appreciated.

LouiseK
  11. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

You said: "I was referred to him by a very kind woman who had CFS that I met in the waiting room of my CFS doctor."

I hope you don't mind me asking. Who is your CFS doctor? Would you recommend this doctor?