Disability Benefits

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debrag, Jul 14, 2006.

1. debrag

debrag New Member

Has anyone applied for disability benefits?
  2. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Yes lots of people and win dont give up.Try it once than get an attorney Ruthie Good Luck
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Oh yes, many of us are still trying. Take the advice, "don't give up".

You can do a search at the top of the page and get a lot of information. Just type in SSD or SSDI or Disability, etc. I finally learned this after asking for a long time, lol.

Hang in there,

BlueSky555
  4. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

I just had my hearing this past Monday. I've had CFS for close to 8 years now, and waited until about 2 1/2 years ago to apply. I was so awfully sick in the beginning of this illness and didn't feel that my doctor's got it, and didn't feel like I was up to the stress that I had heard was involved. Finally my money was getting so tight that I decided I just had to do it stress or no stress. Was turned down the first time, then my lawyer put in for my hearing. He had a tall stack of paperwork on me from the doctors I had seen. Turns out they all do get it! Everyone of them said I had FM and CFS, and was unable to work. My hearing went really well and my lawyer was really pleased. Now more waiting, but my lawyer believes we won, and I think we did too. It wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be. I'm so sorry I didn't do it sooner. I lost alot of money because backpay only goes back so far. If you're thinking about do it, go for it as soon as possible.
    Barb
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I got mine the first try, and cried. I guessed I had been in denial and getting it hit me with how sick I really was.

First of all, read your medical records before applying and make sure everything has been documented.

Then list all your docs. MY MAJOR FM DOC GOT IN A BIG BATTLE WITH SS, AS HE CHARGED MORE FOR PROVIDING RECORDS THAN THEY WOULD PAY. BY LAW, SS CAN'T FORCE YOU TO PAY, BUT YOU CAN voluntarily pay the difference. IT can make the difference in your case.

First of all, make sure you have the high-tech, expensive non-subjective stuff they want.

My sleep lab sealed it, alone.

Then add any thing like MRI's, hormone tests, x-rays, I had a PET SCAN, which showed my brain was underperfused in areas, and I had a severe spinal injury.

There are THINGS WHICH CAN BE DOCUMENTED, DESPITE WHAT YOU HERE.

The sleep lab, hormone tests, depression, and there is a test perfomed by physical therapists, I FORGET THE NAME, which takes two days. IN IT, THEY TEST YOUR ABILITY TO WALK, LIFT, GO UP AND DOWN STAIRS, GET DOWN, GET UP, SIT, LIE DOWN, AND DO MANUAL THINGS, AND THEN DEXTERITY THINGS, AND THEN MENTAL THINGS. ON THE SECOND DAY, FM PATIENTS JUST FALL APART, IF WE MANAGE TO STRUGGLE THROUGH THE FIRST DAY.

It can do tremendous things to assist you.
  6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

See: www.disabilitysecrets.com

(Try it, you'll like it!)
    MRDAD
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have been posting that for months on threads...

you will get the facts from there....go for it

jodie
  8. CgWife

CgWife New Member

I am toying with this as well as you are. I work in a school were my job is to physically demanding (lunch Lady I cook meals for 3oo kids), I was out serveral times because of pain (which later I found out that I have Fibro) and my husband suggests that I go back to school with year give it a try and if I can not make it then I need to apply for disability. my question is if I cant do my job whom do I tell? my primary care Dr? then leave it up to him to tell me to find another job? I also dont understand this process can anyone shed some light on it?
    what is the next step after you realize you can not work because you are hurting your self. I use to work in the ICU and ER in the hospital, I kept having anxiety attacks so last year I decided that after 19yrs in the Hospital setting it was time for a change, well I changed and work with the little kids in the kichen. I like my job but I also know that it is taking its toll on me. what would you do if you were me? what should my steps be if I were to file for disability? can you help me understand it? thank you for listening!
    Deb