Disability Claim? You're Not Paranoid...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ProHealth, May 4, 2011.

1. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

Disability Claim? You're Not Paranoid... They Really Are Watching You

by Jason Newfield & Justin Frankel, Attorneys at Law*
    May 4, 2011

* Attorneys Justin Frankel and Jason Newfield head a disability insurance law firm (www.frankelnewfield.com) that: 1) Works with patients before they file long term disability benefit claims to negotiate medical, paperwork, and insurer minefields; and 2) Represents policyholders whose disability claims have been denied or delayed. They represent many claimants across the US with potentially disabling ‘invisible’ illnesses such as fibromyalgia (FM), and chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

Disability Claims and SurveillanceSurveillance and Investigation Tactics Used by Disability Insurance Companies - The Importance of Knowing What to Expect

The great news is, you are having a good day. You got out of bed and went outside for the first time in weeks. The bad news is, you were having a good day and went outside and walked right into the field of a video camera being used by an investigator working for the disability insurance company.

From the moment that you file a disability claim, information gathering begins, from reviewing medical records and interviewing your neighbors to videotaping your activities. They are gathering evidence in an effort to deny your claim.

Here’s what you need to know about surveillance and investigations of disability claims:

You’re Not Paranoid – They Really Are Watching You

• Video surveillance is cheap and easy to conduct and open to a great deal of abuse.

• Surveillance is more frequently used by insurers in cases where claimants allege disability based on 'invisible' conditions like Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).

• And surveillance is commonly used in high benefit claims, where the insurer is motivated to terminate or deny a potentially expensive claim.

A "Good Morning America" investigative team reported on several cases of claimants whose benefits were cut off after the use of undercover surveillance videos. The investigators staked out one person’s doctor's office...

Continue reading: http://www.prohealth.com/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=16124&B2=MSGBD
  2. matwood58

matwood58 New Member

I can totally attest to this. While at my hearing I thought we were finished answering questions. The judge, with a smirk on his face asked me if I mowed my lawn. Of course I had to say yes. How else do you think they knew that I mowed my lawn? Just make sure you answer honestly and to the best of your knowledge, you just might get caught :)

PITATOO Member

They do this for any type of disability claim. Let them watch me. I may look good but you won't see me cutting the grass or doing roofing or anything anyways - would not get out of bed for a month if I did cut the grass.

I am not to the point where I am on disability yet, but working is getting more difficult year after year.

I used to love working outside also but after 15+ years of this I have to be realistic. I am very, very lucky I can afford to have my grass cut, house cleaned, laundry done etc. But it does seem like I work just to be able to do that and have no other life besides - off the subject - sorry.

But yes a good buddy of mine is a lawyer and has been guiding me for years know eventually what could happen. They will take your payments that you pay into disability, be it taxes or private plans but they don't want to pay out. I have a cousin who had a sever stroke, can't get his words out right, trapped in his body, still a very smart man, but his right side of his body is useless. They denied him for two years - saying he could work and it was so obvious and he does not look well like a lot of us do, finally after two years he received his disability but they only go back 1 year of retro - that's totally unfair. If it was not for his wonderful wife I do not know what he would have done, she went back to school got her degree and became a physiciatrist and put two wonderful daughters through college.

They do treat "us" badly - but what can you do. We don't even have the energy to fight.

I still have friends who don't understand at all. They think I can still go out and "party" with them. That would be the end of me. I want to so bad. I do manage about once a year but I am down for the count for a week or more.

I am divorced and my daughter is now living with me(she's 20) but her mother had/has her so brain washed that she had my daughter beliveing it was not serious or no big deal, that I just don't try hard enough.grrrrrr. I used to work out every other day and run on opposite days for at least 5 miles a run. I loved it and miss it soooo bad. Had to sell my boat; which is/as my passion, because I can't even handle a ripple in the water - and people think I gave all that up by choice? Come on....So my friends are only a few now, but they are true friends and stick with me, a few since I was in grade school, so why do they understand and not my family - I don't know - maybe they are scared and afraid to see me this way????