Disability (How much??)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kurt, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I have heard many people talking about applying for disability. I know there are different types of disability. However, I was wondering if someone could give me an idea on how much disability pays out each month. I know this is a personal question, so a range would be nice. Thank you!

Kurt
  2. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I have heard many people talking about applying for disability. I know there are different types of disability. However, I was wondering if someone could give me an idea on how much disability pays out each month. I know this is a personal question, so a range would be nice. Thank you!

Kurt
  3. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

No one can tell you how much you would get from disabiltiy.. If you get Social Security Disability it goes by the years that you have worked and how much you made during those years..Now, SSI works differently, I personally do not know how they calculate that..If I'm wrong here, someone please correct me..But that is how I always was told it works...
    Take Care......Sorry I wasn't of more help.......
    P.S. It doesn't equal what you were making when you left your job due to the illness, but it sure does help......
  4. little

little Member

I receive half of what I made in 1988. It never changes. I also receive something from SSD. they told me that SSD would make up the difference. SSD told me that between them both I would receive up to 80% of the wages that I was getting at the time I left work. Only SSD does cost of living every year. Comp never changes.Gail
  5. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

You can go to www.ssa.gov and they have calculators to tell you how much or you can call them and request an earnings statement and that will give you a pretty close estimate.

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

SSI is only about $350 per month or so here in Fla. SSD is based on what you earned before you got sick. I know people who are getting more on disability than I made when working 50 hrs. per week! In 1986,when I first qualified, I received 24% of what I would have made when working. Even though there are cost of living raises, they are eaten up by the increase in Medicare premiums taken out of the checks, and I am now only getting about 15% of what I could make working.
    Klutzo

[ advertisement ]