Disability Income Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmq, Jul 6, 2007.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

I apologize in advance if the question has already been posted and answered. I could not find it. Here is my situation:

I just got approved for my LTD.( YEAH!!!) They are going to refer my case to Allsup to apply for SSDI. I totally get how that works,..I know they will be reimbursed by SSDI if and when I am approved. What is complicating this for me is

In January, I will be eligible to retire ( at age 53 ) because I have worked for the State of Florida for 30 years.( I think my pension check will be about the same amount that I would be getting from LTD or SSDI.) I am told my pension will then cancel out my SSDI. In other words, If I got $2,000 from disability and my pension was $2,000 a month, I would not be able to get SSDI or LTD anymore.

My question then is...can I NOT collect my pension in January and just get SSDI instead? My reasoning for this is because I would at least have Medicare with SSDI. With my pension, I would have to have private insurance with high premiums. Then when I reach 65 collect my pension?

I am so confused, I am not sure if I am even posting my question clearly. Hopefully some of you with HR and insurance backgrounds can help me out.

Thank you for whatever info you can share...

2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

would you have to take your pension if you were not disabled? i really dont know the answer but i thought that question might help call a lawyer or ss to ask hugs charlene
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

That's a very pertinent and legitimate question! I know
    that under SSDI one is allowed to have a certain amt. of
    additional income but how much I'm uncertain! Do speak
    with SSA office as they would know for sure. Likewise
    check the Health or Legal forum on Craigslist.org for your
    area in Mich. State. There are some very knowledgable people
    to direct your questions to. I'd double check their response
    with your Attorney or the SSA office to "be sure"!

Best wishes,

4. jmq

jmq New Member

for all the responses. I will try calling SSA on Monday and see what they say...and I will pass it on to you.

5. jmq

jmq New Member

just thought I would bump this. still wondering if when I get SSDI approved...will that give me any more income after my pension payment if they are the same amount???

6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I am not sure what the answer to your question is. However, it is quite possible that you will not be approved for SSDI by January...I have seen it take years for people to get SSDI. It is a question I would ask Allsup since they will be handling your application.
  7. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Just because you are eligible to retire, does not seem to mean that you must take that pension.

If you are disabled and more than a few years from retirement age, then you would get SSDI. If you are already 62 or 65, then you would just get your SS retirement. If your pension is a private pension, then that might be a little different.

Then your LTD would be reduced by the SSDI amount.

It is confusing. Rather than getting our possible inaccurate info, please get help. Allsup should be able to know how to maximize your pension.

Also, you could ask this info on the yahoo group disinissues. It is a different board and your privacy is protected.

Please know that private LTD is not very stable and they try some funny business around the two year mark. Please ask Allsup what they will try to do so you are prepared.