Disability insurance companies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb6475, Apr 9, 2003.

1. deb6475

deb6475 New Member

Hello. I am in the market for disability insurance(long & short term). Anyone that has this that you pay on your own (not through your job) please pass on the name of the company and any contact information that you have. Also, your opinion of the service, cost etc.
    Thanks,
    Frustrated in FtL
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

absolutely do not get UNUM, they suck big time. I could go on for hours what they have put me through. Also am having problems with Amrican General. If you want more info let me know.

Dara
  3. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Sorry I don't know of any particular companies but be sure to check the policy closely to make sure it covers illness as well as injury. I know one I was sorry I paid for years was thru National Home Life Assurance now called Peoples Benefit Life - the required that if you are injured you must be declared permanently disabled within 90 days. I was able to work longer before my symptoms go so bad I had to stop working so it was useless. Some also won't pay if you are getting workers comp or other disability.

Another kind of insurance that is very important is on any credit cards you have or any new loans you take out. I regret now that I didn't get it on my mortgage - I had to sell my house because I couldn't afford it anymore. Credit card or loan protection coverage did help out tremendously after my neck/back injury. You have to get these while working and have for a period of time before you can put in a claim but again read the fine print. Some are really good and the whole balance will be paid off & others you need to send in a continuing claim signed by doctor every month to have minimum payment made which is a big pain in the butt but worth it.

Good luck on finding a good policy.
    Blessings,
    Shaky
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

but my husband and I both applied for long-term disability insurance. He was accepted, but I was not. On their application, they ask you if you have any pre-existing conditions. They had a few specifically listed that you were to check if you had them or not. Fibromyalgia was one of them. I knew I couldn't lie about it, but figured that checking it would decrease my chances of getting the insurance and I was right. Insurance companies don't want people with FM. They know how debilitating it is and they don't want someone who is going to be expensive.

Ellen
  5. violettekb

violettekb New Member

Paid disability premium through work with Hartford and they've been messing with me for almost a year. Denied, have attorney, still nothing.
  6. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I have Sedwick through work. I got denied when I was off for 6 weeks due to migraines, related to fall with head injury. Nothing showed up on any tests..all the swelling was to the outside of my face. Those idiots turned me down because I didn't have any proof...I needed a test to prove it..like there is one that proves migraines.

I did have good luck with AFLAC. My mom and I had both gotten money from them without having to appeal everything and without waiting months to get it. I don't know if they have long term disablity. Also, they do have some restrictions, I didn't have fm back then, so it wasn't an issue.
    Susan
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Let him or her do the leg work for you. I must say that LTD is probably the most needed insurance after health ins. It is more vital than life ins. The problem is that unless you are disabled by something so blatent that you are almost dead, they will fight paying claims to their dying breath. Individual policies are underwritten and I would bet that none of us qualifies. Individual LTD plans are also expensive.

Find out how the companies you are considering are rated with A.M. Best. Unfortunately, even the best-rated companies will fight claims with everything they have.

Love, Mikie