DISABILITY LETTER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BILLCAMO, Jul 17, 2003.

1. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

PLEASE EXCUSE MY BRAIN FOG/DEADNESS.....THE INFO. IS PROBABLY ON SITE SOMEWHERE..... MY DR. WILL WRITE ME A DIS. LETTER , BUT HE WANTS ME TO WRITE A ROUGH DRAFT....A THING THAT WOULD'NT HAVE BEEN HARD BEFORE...... CFIDS.... FM..... IBS ..... & OTHER CHALLENGES...... DO I NEED 1 LETTER FOR EACH....I.E. SSI, INS. CO. ,ETC. ..... OR IS THERE A SORT OF " FORM " LETTER I.E. TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN.....NOT SAYING ALL I WANT TO......BUT I'VE RUN OUT OF GAS.... ....... THANKS !!!!!! BILLCAMO.(HOPE NO ONE HERE IS FIGHTING CFIDS , ETC. IN YAKIMA , WA...... LITTLE HELP HERE..... )
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2003]
  2. Nortmama

Nortmama New Member

One letter should be all you need from that doctor.But, more than one doctor, helps alot. Keep it to the point and make sure that the doctor states that you are disabled and will not get better and that you can not work at any job. Do some research of lawyer sites to get more info. Also used a FM form I found on the internet and filled that out and doctor signed it. We had to do our own letter also, took alot of work and tears, but we won!!Good Luck
  3. JQP

JQP New Member

I found a reply to a request for a similar narrative a couple of months ago, and came across this fantastic reply:

(272)

hi 05/15/03 01:58 PM

Estoric has great advice. I wasnt an English Major and only took the required 3 english courses in college, I do know a good way to right a letter that may help. Docs secretary or asst can help you. Most dr.s cant right or spell well, especially me. You can't be good at it all! A spell check is a must.

She should start with an objective diagnosis/prognosis such as. I am a licensed M.D. in this state who specializes in______. This patient (name)_________ is under my care for:_________ and has been so from (date)______ and mostly likely will be for the remainder of her life (opinion) due to said diagnosis. A barage of tests have been performed and she is under treatment and has consented the release this information to be included in this letter.

a brief subjective portrait of you. such as: pts is in constant, pain that rates on 8 or whatever number on a 1-10scale. Pain is not improving nor are symptoms

a professional opinion should follow:
    As a medical professional having seen hundereds/thousands of pts I do not take lightly, her conditions, nor should anybody or institution examining this letter. these diagnois and in my professional opinion feel she is unable to work ---or whatever else applies your situation.

And then explain for you to continue to do so (work/teach) 'could' cause the following consequenes...ie: become more sick, worsening of health and well being. State that all of your diagnosis are a confirmed fact ON RECORD. And that by allwoing you to work could cause the consequences outlined. (this could put them in a legal frenzy) Also, list others doctors seen, diagnois, etc. Never use false statements or accussations. That sets everyone up for prejury or slander.

Keep everything brief, spaced include for further information Contact me. I will disclose information only by a written request, witnessed by the patient, as per federal law.

Then you type a brief release of information to be discussed over the phone but it wouldnt be wise to allow written records you havent seen to be disclosed unless you feel it may help your case. Sign the consent form and have a witness sign and date it also. Make it valid for only 30 days, from the date signed, so this makes them rush to
    aquire info.

Keep in mind after this letter you may be required to leave and maybe even fired ' i assume you have tenure' but its really best to get legal advice, as always. You may feel you are protected by law but these people can be shadey and do things to make you work worse. Just be careful. Try and keep letters under 2 -3 pages maximum, as most people just skim them,,,,like me! Keep important information at the top of each paragraph. If unsure, like I said get some help and also, once again keep in mind they may retaliate!

Hope this helps you, and others

Best wishes, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Jacqui

4. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!!!!!!!! PART OF MY PROBLEMS W/LETTER ARE, THE DR. THAT FINALLY GAVE THE DIAGNOSIS FOR CFIDS , IS ONE WHO BELIEVES HE HAS & CAN CURE CFIDS. AFTER SEVERAL DIFFERENT TREATMENTS W/ LITTLE OR NO HELP & ONLY SHORT TERM EFFECTS , HE IS HESITANT TO SAY THAT THE DIABILITY COULD BE LIFE LONG. HE STILL BELIEVES HE CAN CURE ME. I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO WORK SINCE OCT. 2002. I HAVE ALMOST EXHAUSTED MY SAVINGS & WILL HAVE TO RAID MY 401K. I DO GET A SMALL DISABILITY CHECK FROM AN INS. CO. SO FAR I DO NOT QUALIFY FOR ANY OTHER ASSISTANT PROGRAMS SINCE I HAVE A "NET WORTH "....I HAVE EQUITY IN MY HOME & OWN A CAR , ETC. MY NEXT HURDLE AFTER THE DISAB. LETER IS TO WADE THROUGH SSI DISAB. APPLICATION. AS ONE GAL TOLD ME.... THIS TENDS TO BE THE "RODNEY DANGERFIELD" OF DISEASES... I CAN'T ARGUE.... THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP !!!!! BEST WISHES TO ALL !!!! BILLCAMO.
  5. ReallyTired

ReallyTired New Member

Hi Bill, I already been through this process and it was very daunting for me to accomplish. If it wasn’t for the enormous support I received from my dear wife, it may have never been completed or approved.

Points to remember, when writing a disability letter and completing the SSID report:

1. I can’t stress this enough: You need more then one doctor that will collaborate and agree with a definitive diagnosis. Such as your Primary care physician, Rheumatologist, and a Psychiatrist. CFIDS diagnosis should come from a Rummy doctor. They all have to agree that you are “completely disabled at this time and any foreseeable future” based on clear and detailed symptoms that prevent you from "seeking any gainful employment". Doctors with good credentials are very helpful.

2. The letter needs to have clear and concise wording like what’s above.

3. The SSID report needs to be very detailed (my wife and I chose to type every thing on separate sheets of paper and attached to original, she interviewed me and she did all the typing). Each question should be answered with great detail and be very specific. Do not add anything that could be misconstrued. Stay away from positive descriptions. You want to tell them what you can’t do, no longer able to do, how awful you feel……….say it like it is (dreary, horrific and so on…).

4. By all means, get someone to help you. You will not be able to make a good case in your condition.

5. Get some written testimonies from your family and friends that explain and express in their own words what they feel you were like before and after the development of your illness.

6. Submit your SSID report as a package, which includes, the report, the disability letter, backing medical records, and the testimonials.

7. When you go to the SSID office by all means, don’t act well or hade your feelings or symptoms. They must see that you are sick.

I know this is a lot of information for you to assimilate but it will help to insure a better outcome. The following link will explain how SSID is evaluated.
    http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/2003-version.pdf

Good luck, Reallytired….

[This Message was Edited on 07/18/2003]