Disability & Medications

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Aug 5, 2009.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I read somewhere that once you are approved for disability, you have to wait 24 months to receive Medicaid coverage.

What does one do for 2 years for meds, doctor visits, tests, etc?
  2. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I had to go with Medicaid at my local public aid office. But i had a spend down each month of $270 a month I had to pay before it kicked in. But I have a LTD I get every month too. And that was included in my income. Which is why I think I had such a big spend down.
    Sometimes you can get dicounted drugs threw the companies,your Dr may be able to help you with this. And I have had to go to "free clinics", where they go according to your income.
    Hope this helps,hang in there.
  3. daylight

daylight New Member

Begins 2 yrs after ssdi is approved. Example: my ssdi was approve beginning Jan.2008now my medicare papers will come in Jan (I believe) 2010. Now in Jan 2010 I'm ok'd for the medicare enrollment period and I believe that is through March (?) . After enrolling the processing taking a month or so. It s sucks to wait so long . I was able to go on Medi-cal (state insurances ) while my husband unemployment was cut off. If your income is low you may qualify for state help. Also there is low income clinic (in some places) , drug assistance programs .
    Like Nink said when your medicare goes through there is a share of cost . It will be deducted from your SSDI every month. This is to cover your Medcare B and D (B is coverage for physicians care,D is for drug coverage) there are also Gap plans too but I don't know anything about those. They send you info on all this when you become eligible for medicare .
    My step dad is going through all this stuff right now so I'm learning from him. =)
    The thing that bugs me about this is that the money for medicare is taken from your ssdi . I only get a small amount 600 a month . And we really need it for income right now.
    Come January I have to make a choice of taking the medicare this year or waiting to the next enrollment cycle to get it .

I hope that this helps you some . Also here is a web site on medicare : http://www.medicare.gov/ prescription assistance programs : http://www.pparx.org/

Take care .

[This Message was Edited on 08/06/2009]
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

the money is taken from your ssdi, but if you have a low enough income, they may reduce the amt they take or not take anything....this is for the parts A and B....part D varies a lot depending on which coverage you decide to get,( if you get any part D at all), and you will always have to pay something for it (you can just go with parts A and B, although they do not cover drugs.....when you go with part D, you are actually getting the coverage through a separate insurance company's medicare plan, which is why it varies a lot)
  5. daylight

daylight New Member

Your so awesome thank you for the info . I didn't know this. My step father has been telling me stuff on the medicare and it really stressed me out. We don't know what the future will bring regarding our income but it's reassuring to know that I don't have to give all my ssdi to medicare .

Thanks sweetie for the info.=)
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

glad to help.....I went thru all this stuff and it was totally stressful, they didn't tell me much, and I just had to read absolutely everything and call and ask a ton of questions and still didn't find out a lot of it until I had already signed up the first year (and then they sent me more info - after I needed to know it)....and I have continued to learn more as the years have gone by......so if anything that I have learned can help anyone else, then I am happy to share and save you from some of the headache and stress