Disability Placard StareResponse

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bozey, Dec 11, 2006.

1. bozey

bozey New Member

I just thought of a response to someone who is staring at you when you park in a disability spot.

Just say, "You staring at me doesn't make my disability go away!"

So what do you all think? Maybe it's rude but so is their judging and staring.

2. larryh

larryh New Member

I do not even notice if people stare at me. It is their problem, not mine. Why should I have to respond at all?

3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I know it's going to come in handy for someone, but if I feel awful enough to use the handicapped parking space, I wouldn't know if someone was staring at me or not.

I'm too busy trying to stay upright to notice!

Nancy B
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had an older woman come up to me and actually had the nerve to ask if i was handicapped. i said yes. she said really. i said i wouldn't have this card if i weren't. she said she knows people use them when they aren't actually disabled.

i said i don't have to worry because unfornately i am. and i have a note for the state of california saying so.

5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I use an electric mobility scooter. My lift comes out of the back of my minivan. People stop and stare at the ingenious mechanical contraption all the time.

I smile and strike up a conversation with them. If children ask about my scooter or lift, I explain it to them while their parent is standing next to them.

Sometimes, I even allow a well behaved child to push the buttons on my scooter to turn on and off the headlight. Parents always thank me.

I figure that a smile is the best response.

Some of the people who responded above me do have a valid point ---my disability is obvoious---theirs may not be.

I try to use the opportunity to educate. If I didn't have my electric mobility scooter, I'd hardly ever get to go out. I'd also probably be a grump! I love my scooter.

6. mary124

mary124 New Member

You know, I have one too, but you know whats funny? I use the handicap stall in the bathroom at work (I know thats not the funny part!-- some lady at work told me that I can't use it because I'm not handicap! then, she went on and said to someone else that she bets that I even park in the handicap spaces-- I told her that I do, when I feel like it as I have a handicap placard. (after that, that shut her month up pretty much!!)
  7. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

you have to look like you're about to die before some people believe you are handicapped. Unfortunately for a lot of us it doesn't work that way. I look absolutely normal on the outside but I never know when my legs are going to give out so I use the parking space and the carts at the grocery store as a means to manage my symptoms.

8. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I don't notice if people look when I park. I don't really care what they are thinking haha

But really, I wouldn't assume that people are 'judging' me because I parked there. Sometimes people just look at you because you are in their field of vision. I would just go about my business.
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it is about that time coming soon. my back is pretty jacked up right now. i just never know when it will go out. plus i have tendonitis in my hips.

10. pamj

pamj New Member

The person who said anything about using the handicap stall is a dope. It's not the same as a H parking space... it just means it's accessible by wheelchair if necessary, not restricted to it.

Some people are just so quick to judge, it's sad.