Disability question ? Please help !!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BrendaBoo, Oct 18, 2005.

1. BrendaBoo

BrendaBoo New Member

I have had my business for 20 years and have sufferes with FM and other things for the last 8.I was used to working 50 hour weeks.But with my health declinining I have only been working about 6-10 hours per week My dear husband and kids are doing alot of the work for me.
    My question ...do I have to not be working at all to even be concidered for disability?Do I tell them I am working 6-10 hours a week and leave the bus in my name or do I put it in my husbands name and then apply.
    This is all stressing me out so much and really not in good shape to fight for this but I have to.
    Thanks for listening !!!!
  2. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

I to have had a bussiness many years. i signed up for disability and told them i work 6 to 10 hrs a week (as yourself i was workin 50 to 60 hrs a week until 2 years ago).i have fibro, bipolar, adn carpel tunnel. i just got turned down last week. i to wonder if it was because i was tring to keep going. now they say i am not capable of this type work but can find something else!! i am single amd am closing my business friday,which is very hard. i cant do it anymore. im really scared because if i cant do this i dont know what i can do. i was hiring most of the work done know but i cant afford it anymore. anyways i think if your working it will hurt your chance, also depending on what you have. im not sure but i just feel if i wasnt working at all i would of got it. my doctor thinks i should get it also. anyways good luck and i hope you get it soon.
    deb
  3. BrendaBoo

BrendaBoo New Member

Hello,you asked what business I am in.....I do business cleaning.Well I still have the business but my husband and kids are doing most of the work.This is really hard for me to have it this way ,always had a lot of pride in being a hard worker.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

The first 2 times that my sister was denied, she had been working a few hours a week - she had to, she had to put food on the table!

But, since she was "able" to work, she was denied and said that her problems could be controlled by medication.

I always thought you had to be off work for a year before they considered you disabled??????????

Janet
  5. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I was in the same boat but had to close my business completely. I found a lawyer that only handled disability and he answered all my questions. I am waiting for my ALJ hearing now. They really don't take that much out of your final settlement and the peace of mind they give is great.