disability question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by romanshopper, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. romanshopper

    romanshopper New Member

    is there anyone that could help me do my disability stuff? I just tried to fill out a form and I just cna't do this. I've been putting it off for months now, but I just cannot remember all this stuff.
  2. Catseye

    Catseye Member

    Can you maybe ask your doctor or his/her secretary? That's if you can't physically do it. If you want to know what to do, look at the SSA definition of the disease you have and incorporate the symtpoms into your answers and also tell your doctor all the symptoms you have that SS lists for that disease. Write them down if your memory is bad.

    I went to my doctor with a paper of all my symptoms and questions. Make sure he documents all your symptoms in his records so when SS asks for them, you will have hard documentation of your symptoms. Like if a question is "can you do shopping or bathing by yourself?"

    I would answer, "no, I can't bathe myself because I can't raise my arms for more than a few seconds because I am too weak and they hurt and I can't stand in the shower."

    "And I can't shop because I can't drive because I'm too weak and can't sit up in a car. Plus I can't hold up my arms because they are weak and start to hurt."

    Get the idea? They don't want to know just that you can't do something, they want to know WHY you can't do it. And make sure you tell these things to your doctor, too, so he can put them in your records. And tell him you want him to document all these things for disability, that you really need his help. And if you can, keep a journal as often as you can telling how you felt that day, what happened, what you could or couldn't do, etc. The whole things is backing up what you say. That means you and your doctor saying the same thing. hope this helps, karen
  3. mezombie

    mezombie Member

    I remember how hard these were for me to fill out. I barely got them in on time.

    If I had to do it again, I'd have someone who knew me well help me out. Maybe your DH could lend a hand.

    And just do a little at a time, so you don't get worn out. I know it's a stressful experience.

    Good luck!
  4. janie056

    janie056 New Member

    I agree that having an attorney is what you will probably need.
    I was denied twice on my own, after filling out all that paperwork, then finally got an attorney and they did everything! I finally won my SS case after almost four years! I did not even have to go to court!
    I don't think the amount mandated by law is different state to state, I may be wrong, but in CT it was $5300. or 25% of the retroactive amount.

    Take Care,